Do you Pee in the shower?

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
It's not people who pee in the shower that're the problem, it's the people who crap in the bath...
wait people poop in the bath :O I mean pee is one thing it's clean it goes down the drain but taking a dump in the bath is a whole other thing.

Spectral Dragon

Jun 14, 2011
There's two kinds of people. Those who admit to peeing in the shower, and liars.
Well, not really, but... I see no reason NOT to pee given you have the opportunity and save time/water/probably money and lives too.

Mar 30, 2010
aba1 said:
Grouchy Imp said:
It's not people who pee in the shower that're the problem, it's the people who crap in the bath...
wait people poop in the bath :O I mean pee is one thing it's clean it goes down the drain but taking a dump in the bath is a whole other thing.
It was more in the nature of a casual one liner. I don't think many people choose to go swimming with brown trout. Although this is the internet, look hard enough and you'll find someone.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Think it's OK? I did it this morning, even!

Not like I do it all the time, usually I'll do one then the other, but I woke up kind of late and it's getting frosty round here so I was already under a making-the-car-usable time penalty for getting into work on time. So I saved a minute by getting in the shower, opening the floodgates, making sure it wasn't going to spray and splash everywhere but was heading properly for the plughole, and proceeded to wet my hair and body and rub in some shampoo...

It's a place for getting the dirt off yourself with the application of about as much water as goes into a typical toilet flush, plus what would generally be considered at least a slight excess of soapy materials. It's basically the second best place to do it. Far better than the sink, that's for certain.

(I do however still think people who engage in "watersports" are a bit weird... however, if you're going to do THAT, you should at least do it whilst sharing a shower. Piss may be sterile most of the time, but you don't know if your partner's got a UTI with as-yet undetected symptoms, and it's a rich environment for bacteria once they're introduced... e.g. the Strep that most people have on their skin)

Now, whether it's OK to take a dump in there, that's a different issue. I don't think the rubber mat would ever quite be the same again, and god help you if you've eaten corn or it's sticky enough that a well-directed stream of water isn't sufficient to take the place of TP...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Yeah. Why not? There's no bacteria in urine, and I don't understand how you can accidentally splash yourself (is that physically possible?). And if you do, then yay, you got a few harmless chemicals on yourself. You're in the shower, wash it off...

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Good plumbing - yes.
Bad plumbing - no way.
The urine smell tends to stick around and somewhat spread in buildings with bad plumbings. I had finished washing dishes when the smell of Horsenade struck my olfactory senses.

This is just my set of rules, I tend to use the privilege maybe three times a decade.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Fuck no... We have toilets for that ?

Just to confirm, are there actually people that poop in the shower / bath ? What the fuck is wrong with you people...

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I have, but i just felt disgusted with myself afterwards so i stopped. Usually get that outta the way before entering the shower. Talk about your water saving all you want, but unless you have the consistency to get everything done in there i say you should shut up and empty yourself in the proper form.

There's a reason we invented the toilet first!

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
somonels said:
Good plumbing - yes.
Bad plumbing - no way.
The urine smell tends to stick around and somewhat spread in buildings with bad plumbings. I had finished washing dishes when the smell of Horsenade struck my olfactory senses.
I think I'd maybe still prefer that to the sibling effect I suffer along those lines, from a poorly plumbed-in washing machine connected to the sink trap... and tends to make the latter backflow... UUUUGGGGHHH

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Ulquiorra4sama said:
I have, but i just felt disgusted with myself afterwards so i stopped. Usually get that outta the way before entering the shower. Talk about your water saving all you want, but unless you have the consistency to get everything done in there i say you should shut up and empty yourself in the proper form.
Consistency? What exactly do you mean? As in, making sure your pee all goes towards the drain, you stop peeing before stepping out of the bath or cubicle and turning the water off, and make sure you rinse off any oversplash? I woulda thought those three were a given...

There's a reason we invented the toilet first!
Yeah, it's because we didn't already have showers... because baths already existed, which you could use to get clean, but there was no extant alternative to proper sanitation... and because a flush toilet needs far less head of water (ie pressure) to work effectively than a shower. One with a low level cistern can refill slowly, then flush all at once where the pressure isn't enough for any water to come out of the shower AT ALL... and in older houses with an outdoor lav, it was always ground floor - running water might not have even made it to the upper floors, where the latterday bathroom ended up being, or even inside the house at all... residents getting their water from a hand-worked pump in the yard which delivered water on demand at a much faster rate than if you diverted whatever standpipe was running into the toilet. If high pressure mains water had been around at the time of it's invention, the flush mechanism may not have been needed at all - instead toilets would have just been made with some kind of jacuzzi-like water jet thing.
(Hmm, maybe that can be the next thing James Dyson revolutionises?)

To run a shower you either need a more forceful head coming from the water company, or a booster pump on-site and a means of powering it. It also requires some method of generating hot running water - either a gas boiler or electric immersion heater with a large storage tank, or a gas combi boiler / electric power shower with high enough output (typically 7kW or higher, more than double what a typical household socket can supply and enough to run most of a street in the early days of electrification) to maintain a flow of warm water from a cold supply - unless of course you're one of those weirdos who enjoys cold showers. None of which were things someone of Thomas Crapper's* generation would have even been able to dream about having, with mains gas and particularly electricity being rarities for quite a long time after.

Plus no-one was really bothered about the problems represented by human urine - it was the faeces that were a much more pressing problem and genuine danger to public health. And, as we've already seen, crapping in the bath is just an A-1 bad idea.

*yeah yeah I know he didn't actually invent the thing. He did popularise it though.

((BTW it's not all the same pipes, at least in my area - baths and sinks empty down the same external piping as the rain gutters, whilst the toilets take an altogether more enclosed and direct route down to the main street sewer. It's the same pipes once it gets to THAT point, often off your property or quite near the boundary, but not before))

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
We had a thread like this a while back, with the general consensus of it's OK.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
tahrey said:
I mean consistency as in: If you want to talk about saving water by peeing in the shower then save water by taking a dump there too.

And i knew i was gonna get a respons to that invention thing, and i love bathroom trivia as much as the next guy, but really... just do your thing in the toilet, especially if you live with other people or even just one other person. I see anything except cleansing and fornicating in the shower as a faux pas >_>

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Why not? It's not like the pee stays in the shower. Goes down the drain. Doesn't dirty anything up--and pee is sterile. It's cleaner than the water coming off of your body. From a bacterial perspective, cleaner than the water coming out of the showerhead even.

Ulquiorra4sama said:
tahrey said:
I mean consistency as in: If you want to talk about saving water by peeing in the shower then save water by taking a dump there too.
That's a stupid argument and you know it.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
evilneko said:
Why not? It's not like the pee stays in the shower. Goes down the drain. Doesn't dirty anything up--and pee is sterile. It's cleaner than the water coming off of your body. From a bacterial perspective, cleaner than the water coming out of the showerhead even.
Unless you have a UTI, kidney, or bladder infection...

I don't do it because I take hot showers, and it diffuses the smell too much.

Side note: My shower head has stuff growing on it...I've tried all sorts of cleaners.

smurf_you

Jun 1, 2010
I do, half the time I never realize I have to pee until I get in the shower anyway >.> its easier than getting out and being cold

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
sure its no big deal as others have said above me it all goes into the same sewer system and the water cleans it all up and since im mostly standing in the shower anyways doesnt matter a brass razoo