Do you play old games?

Sharia

Nov 30, 2015
This has always seemed a stupid question to me, because of such I've never asked it before. That said, I've seen so many gamers who simply play the latest thing and seemingly nothing else that I have to ask. When I watch a movie I never question the decade it was made in, but it seems more common with games for some reason. So I ask: do you play any game from no matter when?, or do you just play what is new?

Amigastar

Any Color you like
Jul 19, 2007
Of course, i like to mix up my games.
Currently i'm playing through Hitman Blood Money again. some time ago i've played DOTT, Baldurs Gate 2, F-Zero GX.
Also from time to time Diablo 2 with eastern sun mod.
oh and I've enjoyed Zeus (the citybuilder one) title recently.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
I do replay some old games time to time. mainly when a waiting for new game of franchise. like i replayed deus ex 1 before HR released and will most likely replay Doom 3 before new Doom will release.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Damn straight I like to replay older games, a lot of them still hold up just fine. The idea of limiting myself only to recent releases fills me with existential horror.

This past 2 weeks alone friends have dragged me to play Diablo 2 and Star Wars Empire at war. And Dawn of War soulstorm if that's considered old?
And felt compelled to buy StarWars Galactic Battlegrounds just because I wanted to see what an Aoe2 game with a star wars skin looks like. It's..allright' I guess, gave me a bit of fun for a few hours.

Amigastar said:
oh and I've enjoyed Zeus (the citybuilder one) title recently.
Omg that reminds me, I haven't played a Sierra city builder game in like..2 months. Truly I'm growing old and senile, think I'll go dabble with some good old Pharaoh <3

But yeah take the city builder genre for example.. Now we might have great stuff like City skylines and the tropico series keeping the genre going but you just can't find a game like any title in the good old sierra city builder series anymore.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Of course. I have a backpile of games to play which some of them are years old and I ain't tossing them out cos it's old.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Well, yah. Of course.

The old Marios and Zeldas are, of course, always entertaining. Then there's FF4, FF6, and ChronoTrigger. Play those every once in a while. Mechwarrior 2: Merc and Mechwarrior 3, when they worked (Can't get them to work on Win10, pretty much my only regret on updating). Currently playing Twilight Princess, but that's not too old and it was just released. Oh, and Half-Life/Half-Life 2.

The old stuff is still good. Not all of it, of course, but there is such a thing as a classic.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Aside from Terraria and TES, Steam is mostly where I play old games, since new games I just get on console. As a truly Hardcore gamer, I wish to play and appreciate all of gaming, not just from the last few years. I only first played Quake in 2012 and was amazed by it since I understood its improvements to games like DOOM and how it helped set the ground for games like Duke Nukem 3D and Goldeneye (which now are old games too).

Still got tons of old games to play though, especially NES/SNES games since they aren't on Steam and I don't buy a lot of VC stuff on Wii U/3DS often.

Musou Tensei

Anti Censorship Activist
Apr 11, 2007
I still buy and play old games, currently I'm playing Ganbare Goemon Ooedo Daikaiten for PS1 and I plan to play or at least try to play the 5 Gomeon Gameboy games I recently aquired, minus the garbage one, because fuck that game.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Tend to play games that I missed, are just good, or with patches.

Going through Earthbound, Secret of mana 3 and a patched Ogre Battle

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I'm in the middle of a FF7 playthrough on my PS4 right now. Playing at 3x speed though. It's like playing the game on crack! SOOOOO FUN!

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
I play a lot of new releases, because it's kind of hard to be a critic if you're stuck in the past without a funny persona. However, I have these phases where I go through several games on an older system. For instance, when I saw the Game Gear VC library on the 3DS was starting to look pretty good, I was like "Yes. I need to play Game Gear games, now." I played the Shining Force game, Crystal Warrior and something I forgot the title of... Wait, Defenders of Oasis! That's the one. Good times.

Switching between eras can result in small shocks (wait, did the NES really only allow this many different colours on screen!?), but I've come to see those as part of the fun. They're a good reminder of how much progress videogames have made, sometimes in less than a decade!

Some jumps can have weird side effects, by the way. I played several Playstation 2 games before playing and reviewing Xenoblade Chronicles. While many critics were complaining about the textures and how much playing a Wii game sucks, I was just constantly amazed by the environments. (I did have a PS3 and Xbox 360 at that time, but I spend a lot of time reviewing handheld games that year, so... yeah, I may had kind of forgotten what many people considered normal.)

JaKandDaxter

War does change
Jan 10, 2009
Good point regarding movies. I mostly play games that have come out in the last 4 years. But I do time and time again, go back to play older classics. Last ones I played and finished were the Resident Evil games. Going back to the PSone up to RE5. And I actually didn't find the tank controls of the originals to be an issue. As they actually don't take long to get used to.

Before my RE run, I played and finished the original Metal Gear games and MGS1 & 2. And at some point, I did another campaign in Rome Total War Barbarian Invasion. Which I conquered every settlement on the map for the first time in that Total War expansion as the Eastern Empire. I would also like to play more Final Fantasy games someday as part of my eventual classic playthrough. I also tried playing the original Fallout, but I've been having problems getting the game to run on my iMac oddly from GOG.

Also just remembered I played Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country on the Wii Virtual console. I truly enjoyed them and play both simultaneously during a vacation. But I haven't finished them.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I play old and new. Games from this year, past year, 5 years, and even 20 years ago. I just got a couple of PS3 gems that I didn't have the opportunity to play new. And with the Eidos weekend Steam sale, I have about 39 pretty good old games to play (some for nostalgia and others for the first time).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sheria said:
When I watch a movie I never question the decade it was made in, but it seems more common with games for some reason.
Because games more closely evolve with technology and gaming has been marketed almost solely on technical terms. While the concept of blockbusters and the like have made spectacle a thing, it's more about those individual movies.

But yes, I very much go back and play old games. The only thing that stops me from investing more times in old games is a lot of the games I'd like to play require hours or tens of hours to fully get through. Compare that to a CD, which is probably about 50 minutes, or a book or movie, which you can do in a couple hours, it's often more time consuming to go back. Unless we're talking like the original Mario or something.

NPC009 said:
I play a lot of new releases, because it's kind of hard to be a critic if you're stuck in the past without a funny persona.
I dunno, Channel Awesome is full of them. :p

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Of course it depends on what you define as "old" in terms of games. Generally I do, but lately I've really only been playing a handful of games due to lack of time/focus to put into a new game, namely "XCOM: Enemy Unknown", "Call of Duty: Black Ops III" with "Rayman Legends" in between, none of which I'd consider old yet.

Games tend to age much faster than other mediums, I find. Maybe because the medium is so young that even minor changes in how games are made feel more dramatic. But that's just me riff-raffing when I don't have a clue what I'm on about.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Saelune said:
Aside from Terraria and TES, Steam is mostly where I play old games, since new games I just get on console. As a truly Hardcore gamer, I wish to play and appreciate all of gaming, not just from the last few years. I only first played Quake in 2012 and was amazed by it since I understood its improvements to games like DOOM and how it helped set the ground for games like Duke Nukem 3D and Goldeneye (which now are old games too).

Still got tons of old games to play though, especially NES/SNES games since they aren't on Steam and I don't buy a lot of VC stuff on Wii U/3DS often.
Sorry to nitpick, but Quake came out *after* Duke Nukem 3D.

On topic: Yes. Often.