Do you play old games?

Yostbeef

Apr 14, 2010
Once the PC starts aging, and you're not in a position to upgrade, you really start to dig around for games to play. Personally I'm willing to play anything as long as the gameplay still holds up on some level. Some older games have astounding staying power while some were terrible then and will still be terrible now if not worse.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
I play pre-mid 2000s games more than I do newer ones. Games like KotOR II and Pro Skater 3 are high on my replay list, I've started playing old cRPG's having just finished Planescape: Torment, and I still bust out the (S)NES every so often.

My XBone is more of a paperweight than a console at this stage.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Fappy said:
Emulators are kind of tricky because not every ROM can perfectly emulate the experience. Take games like Super Mario RPG and Donkey Kong Country for example. Every emulator I have ever seen pixelates those games to high heaven. Playing them on the original hardware with a standard definition television looks way better.

Then again, I am a sucker for old hardware. I prefer the novelty of the authentic experience. It's not necessary for everyone, but if it's a reasonable option for me I go full retro every time. I even bought a USB SNES controller knock off for Shovel Knight XD
My Gamepad doesn't work with windows 7 and locks up the system if I plug it in until I take it out so I use my PS3 controller instead.
Frankly, I like the unblurred highly pixelated look. If I wanted things blurry, I'd take my glasses off.
Though the novelty of the actual game is entirely tolerable and loveable when playing on the console, I seem to need to abuse the frame advance features to get past the slow parts. Especially when it comes to dialogue I've read a thousand times that gets into the lengthy expositions.

Two things I hate about modern gaming is that most games have load screens (and for the best graphics, you can't really avoid it); But Starcraft 1 loaded seemingly instantly once the count down hit 0. Starcraft 2 requires everyone to fill a load bar (and there's always that 'one guy' who takes forever).
It's a lot better with Diablo 3 where loads are on an individual basis.

The other is it's abandoned pixel art almost entirely save for the few indie developers who also work towards the marketable few who also like it. What's really appealing about it, the blocks of each pixel, is that with enough patience you can duplicate work from one source to another. Which is probably what made Minecraft so popular with some people. I like the idea that I could do pixel art too.

manolocego11

Mar 18, 2016
Hardly ever but I do remember playing lord of the rings battle for middle earth a while back with a few friends of mine

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Charcharo said:
Such is life in the Zone. Just because something is old ... does not make it in any way bad.

Doubly so in the world of art. So in a sense I agree with you fellow!
This reminds me that I really need to revisit the Zone when New Vegas doesn't occupy all my time spend gaming anymore.
SoC is a really unforgettable experience, and one of my all time favorite games.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I play a good number of old games, but only to a point.

I grew up on Dos and Atari games, and with rare exceptions, can't play those any more. Maybe just my top 3 Atari games, and only a few old-school dos games.
Even with the NES, I'm very particular about.

SNES/Genesis tend to hold up, PS1 does not, and PS2 onward tends to be alright, at least with the better games.

That being said, a large majority of my game time is spent with recent ones.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sheria said:
You would need to first :)
Not really. If you aren't sure you can agree, then clearly you have some grounds upon which you think there might not be an agreement. You could explain why. In fact, you actually did elaborate post edit.

Most games I have on the backburner at the moment, I have on PS4 and they are on that backburner because they all feel rather daunting to complete (DA:I, The Witcher 3, MGSV, AC: Unity & Syndicate, Shadow of Mordor, Batman: AK, Fallout 4)
I was going to point to the notion of rule by exception, throwing up a handful of examples to counter a claim when the standard swings a different way, but...Assassin's Creed games? Really? Those are like, six hour games nestled in with games that can take dozens of hours. Okay, distraction over. Your list includes games like the Witcher 3 and Fallout 4, games which have been hailed specifically for standing out in a world of multiplayer games and mad amounts of DLC and 4 hour campaigns. I really think that rpoves the point. Your backburner games are games that are singled out as special.

I still remember when people used to flip their lids if any game was as short as 10 hours.

PurplePonyArcade

Apr 9, 2015
Of course! Most of the games I play now are old an indie. I have nothing against good AAA games, but I dislike that side of the industry now a days and I have issues running a certain game on my older PC since I have no interest in a new console at this point.
I do enjoy playing new games even as cynical as I have become, but I do mostly prefer old games.

Lindale FF

Apr 14, 2016
Up until about last November, I really only played PS2 games. But then my controller broke.

Now Skyrim is my main game, because PS2 controllers are rare, and so expensive.

Chanticoblues

Apr 6, 2016
I'm mostly playing old games. Newer stuff occasionally catches my eye, but there are entirely too many classics I never played. I actually set up a backlog by year. Right now I'm at 1989/1990.

Brandon Lowdermilk

Oct 8, 2012
I play fallout 3 if that counts as an old game, i also play joust on the easiest difficulty setting, i also like the pokemon trading card game on the game boy color if that counts as an old game.