Do you put helmets on your characters?

elbrandino

Dec 8, 2010
I usually wear helmets, if I can find any that are aesthetically pleasing. I think it's because I collect real life helmets.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
nah..I dont liek helmets.I prefer hoods

dark souls...I dont care about protction I DO NOT want to wear a silly helmet

I liked in dragon age how charachters remove their helmets during dialoge, best of both world

ZeroAE

Jun 7, 2010
Always.
I love helmets and masks, I don't like a character showing it face.
There is no helmet on the game? Glasses.

Kuroji

May 5, 2011
I will remove it when walking around a city, but wear it the moment I go into a dangerous area. That's my preffered thing for games where removing a helmet is eary like ME1, or Olivion. If I have the option for a hat that does not obscure their face too much, I may got for that. For ME2, where it wasn't just one button press to remove it and I had to go back to my ship, then I just left it off when I could.

There are exceptions though - in Guild Wars, my ritualist always wears her headgear because it fits the aestheic of the proffession and how I see her character more than removing it does.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
For me it's a trade off on apperance and effectiveness. Some games woefully undervalue the importance of the uppermost extremity. A good hit to the head by pretty much anything bigger than a pointed stick is going to FUCK YOU UP.

Oblivion/Fallout pretty much makes a helmet a waste of your inventory better used for loot.

By comparison, a helment is a necessity in Mount & Blade.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Normally no. I like to see my character's hair, unless we can toggle helmet's visibility like in Dragon age, or when I'm heading to a big battle.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
I'm a rpg kind of player so i only use helmets when they're absolutely necessary.

For example on Guild wars, when my character is in towns he is withouth the helmet. When he is on combat or outdoors he ALWAYS wears the helmet.

And i only equip helmets if they look badass...

And the armor of my character looks exactly like this below (even the colour):

I'd say it is pretty badass!!!

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Depends on how ugly the characters are, how nice the helmet is, and whether it really raises my stats at all, and how much it obscures the face.

One thing I liked about DA2 was that it took off your helmet in cutscenes and dialogue scenes. That really helped combat the issue. Of course, in games where you practically never have to see your own face, then I just go for it. That doesn't matter at all, in that case.

Bara_no_Hime said:
binnsyboy said:
If you're playing an RPG or some such with a customizable character (like Elder Scrolls, for example) do you wear a helmet? In lots of games, the additional protection comes down to a mere couple of points and you're not going to miss it if you don't have one.
I like "no helmet" display options. That way I can wear my helmet and never have to look at it. ^^

Not enough RPGs have that feature, though. More should include it.
I agree with this comment.

TheGreekGeekPrick

Oct 29, 2011
Depends on the game. I do in the more "hardcore" RPGs like Dragon Age (if one can call it that), because the added defense bonus is helpful. Generally I like the no-helmet option, though.

Still, if it's a game I can do without the helmet (usually MMOs), I'll keep it off. I'm sorry, but screw the effectiveness when I have to hide the face I was editing for fifteen minutes on the character creation screen. What's the damn point?

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
binnsyboy said:
Marter said:
I like hats.
As do I. I've got a burgeoning hat collection so far. I'm currently on the prowl for a good fez, stetson and top hat. (Not in a game, I mean)
Dr. Who must be stopped. Where is my evil electric eyepatch thingy?

Also, yes. I have yet to play a game where the character's head looks better than a helmet.

SquirePB

Apr 5, 2011
I always go for the functional option of wearing a helmet but if there's an option to make it invisible I usually do unless it is particularly cool looking.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Depends on the game and the helmet. Aldin here has a pretty sweet-looking helm:

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
I actually agree with the OP. I usually don't have my character wear a visible helmet and/or hat unless it A) Looks good, or B) Fits the situation. aka going to war. A serious war, that is, not just a battle session, but something pretty intense that a helmet would be recommended no matter how much of a badass you(re character) is/are.

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
Usually in RPG's I'll wear a hood because I usually have a stealth character. But other than that I usually don't

Cinnonym

Mar 3, 2010
NOPE.

Not unless the helmet looks awesome. Yeah, there was no way that I was putting anything over my character's face when I spent so much time trying to get his nose just the right shape. You've got to look the part in these situations. My part is "Baller".

efAston

Sep 12, 2011
I prefer to have no helmet, but I'm currently a couple of hours into Divinity II, and the stat's are too much to forfeit. I'd like a game where the stat's on different types of armour are more trade-offs than "buy this one, win the game", so I could choose how I want my character to look. You know, like Mario Kart.