Do you read comic books?

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
I've recently started reading comics, when I realized that most of my favorite superhero movies had even better comic series behind them.
[EDIT]
Also:
He's actually become sort of an obsession with me over the last few weeks :/

Ben Agar

Dec 4, 2010
I'm reading in the way of Manga, Berserk man I'm reading that religiously. Amazing Manga. Right now I'm also collecting Nightwing comics. Dick Grayson is a good character and now with the night of owls it's really getting interesting, yess

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
TheRussian said:
I've recently started reading comics, when I realized that most of my favorite superhero movies had even better comic series behind them.
[EDIT]
Also:
He's actually become sort of an obsession with me over the last few weeks :/
Welcome to the fold then. Yeah Deadpool is one of the goodies... most of the time. Avoid anything that says "Corps" at the end of Deadpool.

But if you are just getting into him, check out Gail Simone's run on his first ongoing title. Check out Agent X. Cable and Deadpool and then specifically his Dark Reign story against Bullseye.

Aug 25, 2009
Not buying many current series. I hate Marvel and the DC New 52 has kind of left me cold. Getting rid of my favourite character didn't help.

Outside the big two I kind of like Invincible by Rob Kirkman but aside from that I've bought all the comics I like. The Boys, Preacher, Watchmen, Tom Strong. I've already got all the issues I want and I don't really have the money to be investing in things I'm not sure about.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
I am one of those people who talks endlessly about superheroes, knows all the ins and outs of it all, but has never actually read a comic book before.* I watch the movies and cartoons, play the games, collect the merch, but don't read the books. Part of it is the cost, as well as the time necessary and I just can't get involved. I usually just read all the plot summaries on Wikipedia.

*I have read Watchmen, but some would argue that doesn't count as it's a graphic novel.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I did for a while, but there was a lot of cross overs that I couldn't be bothered with, I still read them here and but it's fairly out of order because of said cross overs and me not bothering.Spiderman was my favorite, especially when Ben Reiley took over for a while, even if that was a bit of a story mess.

I make my own comic series, does that count? :L

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
The only 'comic books' I've read are Calvin & Hobbes, really.

Webcomics? At the moment, I'm following Critical Miss, Sam and Fuzzy, Gone With the Blastwave, Post-Nuke, Looking For Group, Questionable Content, Order of the Stick, Romantically Apocalyptic, and The Fourth.

Sam and Fuzzy, Questionable Content and The Fourth are my favorites at the moment.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
LordFish said:
But... Surely, so little text and story, wouldn't it take like, 10 mins to read a whole one.

I guess you're meant to appreciate the art in every panel but I find myself just wanting to progress with the story quickly... And yes, I've read a few, mostly ones from the library in school lunch times, when I was at school that was.
I feel oddly like LordFish is a split yet identical personality to myself.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I've dabbled. I've read some Spiderman, a bit of X-men and a bit of the Hulk. I didn't find them hugely enjoyable and the continuity is so convoluted that I don't consider them worth the effort of getting into. I appreciate the effort that goes into all the artwork, but I rarely find it aesthetically pleasing and I can't get over how exaggerated everyone's body is. Storywise, most of them are pretty weak.

I guess it's just never been my thing.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
TheFinish said:
snip
The new Blue Beetle, Jaime Reyes. Ted Kord is still very much dead.
Strain42 said:
snip
Yeah, like someone already said the new Blue Beetle is a kid named Jaime. I'm enjoying it, it manages to blend funny with action (I know it's juvenile, but I can't help but laugh that he got an erection when Bleez pinned him down)

The weird thing with the Blue Beetle now though is...well...it's just pretty different. Now the suit is from an alien scarab race. He feels like less of a technology based hero, which is a shame, I always liked those.

Fun bit though, at the end of the most recent issue, our old friend Booster Gold did pop up.
DeimosMasque said:
The new Blue Beetle has been around for a while, and before the reboot was in an interesting position as far as most characters in super-hero comics have, especially DC characters... his friends and family knew his secret so it wasn't just High School super-hero angst of "how can I keep my secret from those I love."

Much like a lot of the cool and interesting in DC, the reboot knocked that right away with making it a requirement of the Scarab that he can't tell anyone.

Before the reboot they even did a team up with the New BB and Booster Gold that was very respectful of the legacy of Ted Kord and how using his superhero name was an honor. Well written drama.
Yeah, I was sort of aware of another Blue Beetle but what with DC fucking up a lot of their niche titles with their re-launch I wasn't sure if they had brought Ted Kord back just to fuck that up as well. It's funny because the first 52 was one of the coolest stories Booster Gold has ever had. The new 52 has just left a terrible taste in my mouth from the trashing of IPs.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
octafish said:
Yeah, I was sort of aware of another Blue Beetle but what with DC fucking up a lot of their niche titles with their re-launch I wasn't sure if they had brought Ted Kord back just to fuck that up as well. It's funny because the first 52 was one of the coolest stories Booster Gold has ever had. The new 52 has just left a terrible taste in my mouth from the trashing of IPs.
Yeah... you're not the only one. When I saw they were calling the relaunch "New 52" I vomited a little in my mouth. It was brand-exploitation pure and simple. They didn't call the last few months "Countdown to New 52" because everyone knows Countdown sucked.

52 was one of the best things that DC comics has ever done. And oh yeah, DC erased that all from existence with the reboot. What stayed? Batman Inc, and the Lantern Wars... the end.

Even the George Perez "New Teen Titans" stories are gone from the continuity.

But you know who got their won Solo series? Grifter and Voodoo from WildCATS, a failed property that just so happens to have been created by DC's Co-Publisher Jim Lee.

I still read DC, there's still some good in there. Gail Simone's Batgirl (even though Oracle never happened) and the Aquaman and Animal Man stories have been awesome, I wasn't even fans of those characters before.

But really... calling it the New 52 was a spit in the face of their fans in a blatant attempt to market to them by saying "Remember how awesome '52' was?" Then they release their second string of books and call it "Second Wave" in regards to the other great thing they've done in the last 10 years, First Wave.

AgentCooper

Dec 16, 2010
I read the single issues and the trades from Marvel and DC and the others. I just finished reading Green Arrow: The Midas Touch (disappointing) and Batman Beyond: Industrial Revolution (Was fun).

I have been saving my money for the sale that my local comic shop has in August with 55% off trades and buy one issue and get one free.

I also read Manga. But that is really only Berserk and old Lupin the 3rd volumes.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
King of Asgaard said:
Comics, no.
Graphic novels, hell yes. Most of which by Alan Moore.
Eh, there really isn't much difference anymore. Even the "Graphic Novels" written by Alan Moore all started as periodic comic books. The distinction is mostly one of elitism like people who say "Nolan's Batman movies are films, the Marvel movies are just movies."

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
DeimosMasque said:
King of Asgaard said:
Comics, no.
Graphic novels, hell yes. Most of which by Alan Moore.
Eh, there really isn't much difference anymore. Even the "Graphic Novels" written by Alan Moore all started as periodic comic books. The distinction is mostly one of elitism like people who say "Nolan's Batman movies are films, the Marvel movies are just movies."
I've never heard of Watchmen or V for Vendetta being periodic.
Just to clarify, when I say graphic novel, I'm referring to a standalone story, like Watchmen, and not something like Spider-man which has been going through many stories and changes for years.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
I've dabbled. I've read some Spiderman, a bit of X-men and a bit of the Hulk. I didn't find them hugely enjoyable and the continuity is so convoluted that I don't consider them worth the effort of getting into. I appreciate the effort that goes into all the artwork, but I rarely find it aesthetically pleasing and I can't get over how exaggerated everyone's body is. Storywise, most of them are pretty weak.

I guess it's just never been my thing.
you should try some of the real goods stuff

Preacher, Transmetropolitan or The Boys....and no superhero bullshit...well the boys is all about superhero bullshit..but its great if you don't like super hero bullshit...its just great period

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
DeimosMasque said:
snip

I still read DC, there's still some good in there. Gail Simone's Batgirl (even though Oracle never happened) and the Aquaman and Animal Man stories have been awesome, I wasn't even fans of those characters before.
snip
I don't know if I am a fan of Animal Man, but I am a massive fan of Grant Morrison's Animal Man. Deadpool is a weak pop TV version of the fourth wall smashing that Animal Man did.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Nah, it's too much of an effort. I'm already into too many hobbies as it is.

I like the heroes and I love the shows made out of the comics, but the actual comics are really too much for me.

That said, I've read them in the past. Mostly Spidey and the Uncanny Xmen.

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
I'm reading Neil Gaiman's Sandman. It's not your traditional superhero comic, but it counts.
Also, I just found a discworld graphic novel (The Color of Magic + The Light Fantastic) so I'm going to read that soon.