Do you read in-game?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
So, do my fellow escapist take the time now and then to consummate the literature in-game, be it books, the Encyclopaedia Exposita, quest journal entries, and what have you?

I often find myself spending several hours going through such things. Most lately, in Skyrim, I've lugged home enough books to fill pretty much all the book racks in nearly all my houses. Then found myself sitting around for three hours just reading through them. Or going through the entire Mass Effect Codex at another point.

So yeah, do other people have similar experience, or is the most literary interaction with the game opening a skill book in order to get the "ding"?

And speaking of in-game literature, any memorable pieces the escapists have come across and found lovely?

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Most of the time I just ignore it as I just want to play the game, I do read it sometimes when I get bored though. In Skyrim I have been reading every book i've found, a few of which are making me sad because it sounds like some awesome shit went down in the 200 years after the events in Oblivion.

The captcha was REPAIR, Residia. Thy will be done captcha.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
I read quest related stuff, I tend to skip over the rest. If I wanted to read, I have shelves full of REAL books and a kindle.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It's very hard for me to buckle down and read when there are dragons to be slain.
They did miss out on a big opportunity in Skyrim because fast travel could be so much more awesome if they just stick you on a carriage/horse and let you observe the scenery while it takes you along, or pull up a book and read, or chat with companions (if they had more then 5 lines),...

Mass Effect also completely missed out on this, they had huge load times but would they let you read some of that massive codex... why of course not that would make the load times not horribly tedious.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
I think I've read more books in Skyrim then in real life.... *checks* 432 books... I suppose yes I have. And the majority I read in full |3

The Dragon Age 1 Codex I have read front to back. Generally entertaining really.

Donnie Restad

Oct 9, 2011
I, too, have gone through the entire Mass Effect codex, though I still haven't gotten around to playing Mass Effect 2...
I don't read all of the books in Skyrim, though, just the ones that catch my attention. If I pick up a skill book relevant to my character, I usually read that as a gratuity. I also read anything with Sheogorath in it.

MadPetOwner

Jun 19, 2010
Sometimes I read, sometimes I don't.

Really loved The Lusty Argonian Maid though, found in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. :)

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I read pretty much everything I get my grubby adventurer hands on. It's a good way to flesh out the world, and makes things more immersive for me. And I like how you're often rewarded for doing that, rewarding the player for taking their time to get their bearings. Espescially in this day and age, when most games steers you around like a horse.

And, of course, it's nice roleplay, what mage wouldn't completly bury his laboratory in books?

Veldrenor

Jan 5, 2010
Sometimes. If I see a title or codex header that looks interesting then I'll read it, and I read through every book that gives me a skill boost, quest, or map marker so I can understand why this particular book is giving me this particular bonus.

CondorBob

Jun 8, 2009
I read everything.

EVERYTHING.

But seriously, Mass Effect's codex, all the books I've come across in Skyrim and Oblivion, and Dragon Age: Origin's codex have been thoroughly inscribed onto my brain.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
CondorBob said:
I read everything.

EVERYTHING.

But seriously, Mass Effect's codex, all the books I've come across in Skyrim and Oblivion, and Dragon Age: Origin's codex have been thoroughly inscribed onto my brain.
Same. In fact, I'm only here right now, because my game of Skyrim is paused with my character reading an adventurer's journal, while I eat lunch. :)

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I read the codex of Mass Effects, but thats mostly because I'm a total sci-fi addict. I also caught myself buying the Sid Miers: Alpha Centuri books because I loved the story so much.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Depends on the game. I've read a book in Skyrim here and there, but rarely. I don't have that much free time to waste reading in game, when I'd much rather be progressing through the game.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
If they didn't want you to read it, why put it in? I'm the kind of gamer that enjoys the story more than the gameplay, so any little bit of extra flavour I find cannot get into my eyes fast enough.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Sometimes. With Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, I rather enjoyed the little description of characters and enemies. But the codexes in Bioware games? Those are like homework. They just add to the boredom I already experience with most Bioware games.

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
I usually read sometimes I catch myself flipping through the pages of ABC's for barbarians to pass the time.

May 26, 2010
I read only the primary parts of Mass Effect's codex because of the Codex guy and his goddamn wonderful voice. Seriously, I'd listen to that guy read a shopping list.

Audiobooks in games? Do we have that concept?