Do you read reviews before buying? Will you wait for games in the fall or just jump right in?

Evaheist666

Jun 4, 2011
I never buy a game which gets bad reviews from the pro reviewers. I mean I can accept a bad review or two but when most of them agree that a game sucks I will avoid the game.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
No, usually reviewers are either payed to make a game sound good and/or they have horrible taste in games. (See Modern Warfare 2 or Halo 3 reviews). I either demo a game first, or play it at a friends house, it's very rare for me to buy without testing first.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
I usually at least read up on a potential purchase if its from an established franchise or developer I usually don't bother waiting for reviews if I like what I've seen pre release there are very few games I'd buy blind even from a good developer, if its a new IP or I'm not absolutely sure I'll love the game I'll wait a day or two for reviews sorting through the semi useless ratings to find out the pros and cons I usually start with g4 they've got a good review setup. The most important part of going through a review is to be able to pick out when its reviewer bias as opposed to an actual issue or for a review that explains why the slow pace of the story worked for the game its things like that by which you can spot a good review and get real information beyong its a crappy game, the live play feeds can also be an asset again keeping the person who's playing in mind. I usually research anything I buy especially if it costs a large amount I expect value for my money.

Wyvulent

Jun 4, 2010
I generally check out previews and stuff if it's not released yet. If it's been released for awhile i usually try find user reviews and check both the high scores and the lower ones and see if the problems listed will annoy me.
I do look at professional reviews sometimes, but i feel a user review generally points out flaws better as it's their own money that went towards the game, no game is perfect, reviews that tell me otherwise are missing something out which is why i end up going through some of the lower scored reviews.

Der_Bradly

Jul 6, 2011
I usually wait a little bit to see if there are pre-order bonuses, system requirements, etc.

If the metacritic scores so far are amazing I'll buy it.

But the longer I wait the least expensive it is. So I try to hold off as long as I can.

However,
Skyrim I cannot wait for. (I love you Skyrim)

LiraelG

Jun 22, 2011
I will buy games before reading reviews, but if I'm uncertain then I will read the bad reviews. This is true when it comes to products (cameras, the kindle, mp3 players) and other mediums such as books and DVDs. It just makes sense... The good reviews are a little less useful to me. I don't need to know what I am going to love! I need to know what I could hate.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Kawaiitsuki said:
I tend to read the entire review before I dismiss it completely.

Reviewers are biased just like anyone else, so what they find annoying, I might enjoy.
But yes, I do read the reviews before buying the games.
That's not bias, it's just personal opinion.

OT: If I'm unsure of a game, then I'll browse Metacritic for awhile and read a couple of reviews for the game. To be more specific, I read some good reviews, average reviews and bad reviews for both professional and user reviews. I like to have an idea of what I'm stepping into with a $50-60 purchase.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I usually wait and rent any games I'm interested in; nowadays most games are so short that it only takes one or two days to beat them (at least if you're primarily interested in the singleplayer mode), and this way I'm only out 5 Euros if a game happens to be a dud. I only buy games if they turn out to be really good, or if they belong to a game franchise I trust (Prince of Persia, Batman [Arkham], ...). Also, within reason, I might even pre-order a game if I'm stoked enough; this is usually the case with games that appeal to the fanboy in me, such as the upcoming Space Marine, or last year's Transformers: War For Cybertron. (No movie games, though - I'm not falling for those shoddy piles of crap.)

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I look out for reviews with low scores and aggregate user scores with atleast a couiple hundred user votes.

There's a handful of games where you can be pretty sure what you'll get, if you bought it before any reviews, games like Rage and Arkham City, but that's because it's the same developer doing basicly the same thing as before.

Batman will be more Arkham Asylum, only bigger, which may be very good, if you want more of that. WB cannot make the DRM any worse than it already was.
ID have proven time again that they can make technically competent shooters, though the pacing, balance and level design will be only adequate.

Even so I'll still read up a bit on the games as I wait for a price drop and bug fixes, before buying.