Do you read the forward/preface/introduction to books?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
You know, the first 5-10 pages written by someone besides the author where they talk about the book and the author and background stuff like that? It's always seemed like a complete waste of pages to me and I always skip past to the actual story. I'm curious whether anybody actually ever reads them?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Overwhelmingly no.

What's the point of these? They mostly strike me as a sort of advertising - people pick up the book in the shop, flick through the first few pages and maybe some guy writing a short essay saying this book changed their life or how important it is induces them to buy it. Otherwise, move along and get on with reading the book, make your own mind up.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Overwhelmingly no.

What's the point of these? They mostly strike me as a sort of advertising - people pick up the book in the shop, flick through the first few pages and maybe some guy writing a short essay saying this book changed their life or how important it is induces them to buy it. Otherwise, move along and get on with reading the book, make your own mind up.
Hmm yeah, that would make sense. Generally not being the kind of person who buys books I haven't heard of I hadn't thought of that.