Do you rent a game before you buy it?

Forktongue

May 19, 2009
I occasionally try out a demo. More often though I just check out the game at a friend's house. Always valuable to stay in contact with someone who buys multiple games on a regular basis!

bcponpcp27

Jan 9, 2009
Very occasionally. I rented Mercenaries 2, realized that it pretty much sucked, and returned it, never to play it again.

King CoN

Sep 9, 2009
I try to.

My local Blockbuster is awful for games at times. I've been trying to rent COD5: WAW since it came out and it's always out.

I generally rent whatevers new in store, get it for a week, play it for a day and forget about until I have to take it back.

I'll always try out demos on XBL though. Even if it's not a game I want, I'll try it for the hell of it.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
I usually go with a demo, if available....if the demo doesn't grab me, then I just walk away...slowly.

I used Gamefly for a while...then when the releases became so far apart it was hard to keep my list full of games that were actually out and didn't suck or I didn't own.

hotacidbath

Mar 2, 2009
Not with every game, but I do sometimes. I'm really cheap and don't want to spend money on a game unless I know that I'm going to like it. It's also gotten me into games I might never have played otherwise. I didn't know much about Half-Life, but a few years ago I rented Half-Life 2 on whim. Right after I returned the game I ran out and bought it. I just figure if I end up enjoying a rented game it's $4 well spent, and if I hate it than at least it wasn't $60.

Thimblefoot

May 10, 2009
No, i would rather just play a demo, at least that does not cost any money. If there is no demo, i just look at gameplay videos and decide if it is worth a purchase.

Sep 19, 2009
every game i rent first because i can usually destroy it in the rented time, get most achievements etc. i have to save my money for important things like food. Even then i only rent a game when i get it for free or discounted

Ammadessi

Oct 6, 2009
It depends, really. I prefer demos but since the price of games is a little rough in this economic period I've been renting. If it's a game from a series I really enjoy I'll usually pick it up 6-9 months after it comes out, so I can get it used for a better price, and generally by then reviews have come out. If everyone hates the game, I feel better for having not bought it on day one.

I've never quite understood buying on Day One. It just means you're getting the same product faster for a much higher price than if you wait.

Yermenko

Feb 12, 2009
Not really. I used to, but as game rentals are now pushing 10 dollars, I just try to get a feel for the game through reviews. Or wait for one of my friends to impulse buy!

Sep 19, 2009
Plus id rather spend the 7 or 8 bucks to rent it beat it and return it than spend 60 plus and then selling it to some joe schmo for 10 to 20 bucks.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
I work in a game shop, so if I want to play a game on my break, I do. No renting for me! (gotta love the perk sometimes)

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Nope, not usually, although I have on a couple of occasions. I just tend to buy them, play them and return if I don't like it.

DanielPowell33

Jun 9, 2009
Yes i do. Ever since i bought "Alone in the Dark" the day it came out.........
I no longer buy games just cuz they seem cool.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I used too..... like 10 years ago.

But now I just research a game, watch a few trailers, read a few reviews, and then I usually just buy it.

blankblankblank

Sep 14, 2009
I dont rent. If it's a short game with no MP I let it pass and pick it up for $30 dollars. If it looks good and is a meaty game I just buy it. When I didn't have money I use to buy used all the time and just trade it back in if I didn't like it, though I try and buy new now because its more satisfying opening the wrapper.