Do you respond to trolls?

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
Never. As soon as there is the slightest hint of trolling, I leave the thread.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
I used to respond, long ago on other forums, but life's to short to waste it replying to people who are deliberately trolling. You'll never get anything out of it, while they get their jollies from the attention. It's much better to just report it and let the mods take them out silently, they'll hate that more.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
I respond to trolls, not because I'm genuinely concerned that people will believe the stupid shit that they're saying, but because I actually like flamewars. You get in, you state your opinion in such a way that draws the attention of a large number of people on the opposite side, then sit back and wait for the messages to come rolling in. It's more interesting than telling everyone what your favourite superpower is, at least.

Trolls are good at starting flamewars, and frequently crop up during them too, so they're fun to interact with. Besides, I get to post the "You've been trolled" song off of Youtube as well. :D

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Depends, really. I'll feed them if they're funny, but since most aren't, I ignore them. If I'm on a forum like this, I'll ignore them regardless of humour though, as it's the rules and all. But on a video game or YouTube or whatever, if they're funny, then cool, if not, then they don't exist to me.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
I respond to trolls and basically force them to stop responding to me with cold hard logic that really ends up pissing them off. Semi-counter trolling. Works like a charm. Either they give up on the first comment and say some obscene mark about me or my mother, and nothing to do with anything else, indicating I have won (Doesn't mean I won't reply with a literal interpretation of their comment...). Other times they'll try to carry on, but get sick of reading paragraphs that make them seem like an idiot. Not getting any response out of me except a logical one, they just give up and say they will no longer respond. Is fun.

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
Depends on how I'm feeling, really. Sometimes I'm feeling verbose, so I like to use them as an argument board. Just spew out ideas, see which ones stick. It can be fun, depending on the situation.

Most of the time, I just ignore them, however. No sense in getting riled up about something someone wants you to get riled up about.

That is something I don't understand about watching people debate, though. Your opponent insults you to throw you off your game. Why get mad when that's exactly what they want you to do? Keep your cool, insult them back, and you'll win pretty easy. Getting mad at a troll is like beating a masochist. It's what they want, don't do it unless you get something out of it, too.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I call my Italian friends to "deal with them." No I just ignore them, mainly because I am a troll target (being the Religious and political person I am)

Dec 14, 2009
Back in my day, trolling meant something.

Now it's just twatty kids thinking they're god's gift to trolldom with 'Umad bro' or troll face.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
my fireball spells and conjure storm atronach spells usually respond pretty well in skyrim.

but in the real world i troll trolls

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I don't often reply but when I do it often goes like this...

"I hope you are merely trolling, because if someone as (ignorant/stupid/racist/silly/reactionary/insert whichever is appropriate) exists, well my low opinion of humanity just got lower."

Normally I just report/mute them.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Counter-trolling is the only way to really deal with it. Most of the time they're just bored and trying to be entertained. But obviously this depends on the website, nobody really trolls that much here, or at least it isn't obvious.