Do you speak with an accent?

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
I live in East Midlands but I'm not originally from the UK, nor is English my first language. So yes, I've got a distinctive European accent which I'm unable to get rid of.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
I don't know why, but:

I say "Alright" like I'm Irish (I'll also say "Irish" in the same accent)
I'll ask questions like I'm British (Not the accent, just the words I enunciate, if that makes sense)
I'll say "About" and "Again" like I'm Canadian (A-Boot, and A-Gain)

As for everyday speech, I have a pretty normal (boring) American Accent.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I'm from central New York. However, in high school, I was sometimes made fun of for the way I pronounced certain words. I realized it was because I did so with a hint of southern, and it was very easy for me to figure out why. My mother is from Cincinnati, and she grew up listening to Kentucky blue collar workers talking. Clearly some of that has filtered into my own accent.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
excalipoor said:
SinisterGehe said:
To defend us Finns. You should have an idea how hard our language is phonetically, like really. We have unique language with no roots to any major language - we are far as you can be from anglo-sax languages. And in schools pre 2000 we had no teaching of speaking English - So anyone above the age of ~25 has really bad pronunciation (unless they been in contact with English systematically).
'teeks tost...
Oh, I'm not blaming anybody. Only when people studying the language at a university level sound like Mika Häkkinen do I start throwing hissy fits about it.
That is true, I share the feeling - all of my English teachers been like that. Hell once in gymnasium course I had to translate my speech... To the teacher and students alike. Mainly because I spoke with accent described earlier and used the correct words relative to the subject.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I live in a place where pretty much everyone have a different accent. the people I interact with daily are from different parts of the country, so there's not really any "correct" way of speaking.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Nope but in saying so I don't have an accent in general (I guess I didn't develop one when I was taken in the Chinese and English dialogue spoken by my parent as a baby). In saying so my driver instrustor once thought my accent is American but I disagree (yes I have been to the US but I don't think did caught an accent from there).

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I was five when we moved from Costa Rica to holland, so my spanish is simple and I cannot bring myself to swear in it, as swearing is one of the worst things you can do when you're young.
Spaniards find my speech boorish, partly because my refusal to pronounce the z with a 'lithp'. My Dutch, however is perfectly and completely accentless.
When I speak english I tend to sound a bit on the British side, because I've always thought it sounded nice.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I have a mess of an accent. Even I can tell it's there, listening to myself, but it has no discernible nature.

I also have a habit of picking up mannerisms/accents unintentionally over time. Which makes me a very different person to talk with every few months.

Obskureable

Apr 12, 2013
Hmm, i think i have a accent when talking English,but What it is,varies.
Some say it sounds Canadian...but i think many Finnish people sound like that.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
Moved to Scotland from England, so yeah.

The accents I find interesting are from overseas students at uni. You sort of have an idea of how someone from say China will speak english, but then they speak this weird variant which is like the Chinese accent you expect, but then randomly Scottish all over the place.

RooksEye

Mar 17, 2009
I was born in the American South but I never really developed a strong accent. My family is mostly from California and my friends from the Northern US, so never really developed that "twang".

And I just have to say, thank God. That "twang" is annoying beyond belief.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden, and I speak like everyone else here. I do however speak quickly and suck at articulating, so no one understands me anyways.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Well I live in Sweden and don't speak English with a Swedish accent, so SCORE! My accent is pretty all over the place though; American with a side of Irish - or, on a good day, Irish with a side of American - and some British English thrown in for good measure.

Here's me reading the first few paragraphs of Neil Gaiman's American Gods: http://vocaroo.com/i/s19CYu7bvuCL

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Well the basingstoke accent is basically London with most of the particularly outstanding cockney inflections subdued. My accent is a mix of that and the odd twang from various influences in my family. There's posher bits and Welsher bits and decidedly less posh bits...

+ I tend to go Irish when I'm drunk. That's not a joke, I really do...

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
My accent's sort of vaguely posh English, but I do tend to drawl sometimes and use ain't instead of isn't, which sort of ruins the sophisticated effect. I'm told when I'm angry strong traces of Brummie creep in as well.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
I live in a small market town in the UK and the people in the area speak with a sort of country twang that other people from outside the area notice very quickly.

Apparently though I do not have the same twang and I sound very accent neutral and a bit posh. I don't know why though, my parents and siblings all speak as per the local accent and dialect but I don't.