Do you speak with an accent?

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
I'm Bulgarian and I've studied English since I was 5 (I'm almost 18 now and I speak it fluiently), I currently live in the UK and somehow I have an American accent so perfect 90% of all people who meet me for the first time think I'm American.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Apparently I say some words in a distinctly non-New England way.

Best example is after, I pronounce it "awfter" for no damned reason. And it's not like I do it to be "that wanna be british guy" I legitimately did not notice it till last year when a friend pointed it out.

Other examples include
-Saying "Eh" after sentences occasionally (think stereotypical Canadian)
-Pronouncing "Nah" "Mah"
-Saying "Ya'll" instead of "You all"

My speaking is very weird and mixed.

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
I have a Midwestern American accent (just like most people where I live), but I have an occasional word that I'll say with an English or Southern accent. This is because my mother is English and my father was in the Army (lots of moving around, lived in Virginia and North Carolina). Thanks to my mother, I am also very skilled at speaking with an English accent. I am also skilled at speaking with a southern accent (I think that that is mostly because I watched a lot of Jeff Foxworthy as a child and imitated him often). Overall I am fascinated by accents and work to be able to imitate many of them, with my best ones being Posh English, Austrailian, Southern, and Russian. I also give passable attempts at many other accents.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
The Jovian said:
I'm Bulgarian and I've studied English since I was 5 (I'm almost 18 now and I speak it fluiently),...
Ha, pretty much the same deal here too. I also want to move in the UK to study. I'd also assume my accent would be American, because our English speaking skills derive from American media mostly.
As for my accent for Bulgarian, it's supposed to be one of the purest, because I'm from Veliko Tarnovo, the former capital from the previous rule - the Second Bulgarian Czarstvo(Kingdom), this is where language and writing were kept and taught even during the 5 century Ottoman thralldom. We speak the language most accurately and don't change any sounds and letters whatsoever for slang or "better sound".

However, I have a hard time expressing myself, my writing style is very out of order and doesn't achieve good cohesion. I also already think and talk to myself in English, I also use English slang like "sod off" or "f off" when someone is just annoying me. So speaking my mother tongue has already become more unnatural to me than talking in English ^^. I also stay away from Bulgarian websites, because in the ones I know, they are full of 10-13 year olds or fratboys(our version) that can't write a sentence in proper Bulgarian without using slang or Latin letters with numbers.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Scrustle said:
Megawat22 said:
Well I'm from Scotland but moved down to the Isle of Wight to live with my Dad over a year ago.
Wow, the Isle of Wight. I live like 30 minutes away from Portsmouth. It's weird to see someone on these forums that lives so close to me.

OT: Not in the slightest. I have a very much a middle class Southern English accent, because that's who I am.
I was at University of Portsmouth for 6 months before I realised I wasn't enjoying myself, I wasn't right for the course and that I'd be much better off back home in Surrey. I only moved back a few weeks ago, I'm trying to get a reference so I can reapply for Uni of Surrey, but I@m also looking for work in the mean time.

OT: My accent is more or less what it should be for my area. However, I speak a lot more softly than most of the people my age and have a somewhat larger vocabulary than others. So glad I didn't turn into a chav...

EpicMrAnderson

Jan 3, 2012
I'm from Nottingham, so the Midlands in the UK. So I don't have a great accent, especially when I live in Wolverhampton now and live with somebody from Kent. They all have quite defined accents then there's me!

Arctodus_Simus

When I say "oo", you say "long"
Aug 23, 2010
I've never had the stereotypical accent of where I live, despite being here 23 years - most people say I have none. But if I'm drinking, drunk, or just really tired my natural Edinburgh accent will start slipping out and get stronger as I get more tired/drunk.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Yorkshire accent FTW!
I love my accent but years ago my first boss told me I had to "lose the voice" if I wanted to get anywhere in life!
A year later he was fired for doing Coke in the men's rooms and (due to customer compliments) I got his job.

zxvcasdfqwerzxcv

Nov 19, 2009
Irish accent in London, tends to stand out a little when I open my mouth. The English ladies love it! I've noticed my accent has only gotten stronger since I've moved here, for some reason!

Rofl-Mayo

Mar 11, 2010
I don't hear it when I speak, but when I played WoW people would comment saying that I sound Canadian, and I am. So guess I do.

Rofl-Mayo

Mar 11, 2010
I don't hear it when I speak, but when I played WoW people would comment saying that I sound Canadian, and I am. So guess I do.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
As a man who has, multiple acquired accents at my disposal, how could I not speak with one, I mean I live on the other side of the country from where I was born, completely different mixtures of ethnic cultures, I sound a lot different than most of the people here, of course most of the people here have accents ranging from near non-existent/bland, to French infused English, I speak with something ranging from a more English English accent, to minor Scottish brogue, sometimes I sound like I should be from Texas, and sometimes I sound well... hard to describe, needless to say it confuses the fuck out of people, including me, as I tend to switch accents on a whim, and can sound completely different from one minute to the next.

Still, I don't care, I don't think of it, and it's not as if I'm some kinda socially dependent sycophant, I have few friends, but good friends, and I don't give two shits what anyone thinks of me.

Sep 14, 2009
davidmc1158 said:
I've been informed that I am actually something of a mimic. My real accent is American Midwestern, which has been touted as the most accentless accent in the United States. However, whenever I am around different groups, I apparently shift my accent to be similar to those I am talking to. On the phone, it seems I shift into a slightly classical British accent.

At least that is what various friends of mine have told me. I really don't notice it myself.
same exact scenario, midwestern with the most accentless accent to the point i'm dryer than sandpaper to listen to, but when i'm around different groups/dialects i start to mimic them. i've caught myself too many times, i have no idea why i do it but it happens after being around someone for a few hours or so.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I'm an Anglo-Quebecer so I don't really have your stereotypical Canadian accent (except for my use of "eh"). Frankly, I have no idea what I sound like to others.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Suppose I have a "texas accent" or just plain southern accent. I can switch from a more high pitched hispanic tone to my usual white texan growl. Depends on who I'm around.

mbarker

Nov 12, 2008
I live in the most American like province in Canada if you go further east west or north you would probably hear that we have a pretty odd accent because of that, but every province has its own weird accent Eastern accents are irritating I like Maritime accents and women sound sexy with a eastern Quebec accent (Montreal).

I realy can`t say what`s thought about my accent though.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
I normally speak in a very slight Canadian accent (no I don't say eh like that now shut up), but for some strange reason, when I start to get tired, I flip to an incredibly strong Received Pronunciation accent (like, the poshest British accent you can get). It's really strange.

The twist? I've lived in the southern United states all my life. Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
I have a hybrid Anglo-Canadian accent. According to my British friends, I have an essentially pure Canadian accent. According to my Canadian family, I've developed a slight British twang in my speech. I also tend to use British slang, and can't for the life of me say any of it in my native accent, so I've taken to switching accents mid-speech for certain words.

Cheeseman Muncher

Apr 7, 2009
I'm from the North East of Scotland but I moved to Wales for a couple of years when I was younger so my accent isn't quite as strong as you'd expect it to be coming where I'm from. I still sound very Scottish, just a bit further south sounding than I should be.

On the plus side though, I can understand Doric fairly well, which can be rather amusing when in a group with people who don't.