Do you still base your game purchases on whether Yahtzee recommends it?

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
I will always watch Zero Punctuation and think Yahtzee is a fantastic entertainer, but as a critic I can't help but feel like I feel less and less like my opinions align with his. I'm not going to say I disagree all the time but I just don't use him as a source of actual critique much anymore. It might be because I can't get new games as often as he does, so I don't really feel the fatigue he would have on particular genres like open world games. I also don't need a game to be brutally hard for me to enjoy it. But regardless, I just find myself watching him for laughs rather than to get any insight on the quality of a game.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
People still eat at fast food chains, despite any culinary critique destroying and mocking quality and taste of food there.
Yahtzee can rant that shit is shit but it will not change taste of people who like to gobble down on that sort of shit. Plus he always have had a tongue in cheek, exaggerated way of critiquing games anyway for entertainment purposes. IMO he does excellent job, keeps his style and isn't swayed by agendas, corporate money and politics. Normal person, hilarious character.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
i like Zero Punctuation but i would NEVER decide to purchase games based on those videos...

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Uh... I don't think I ever based any of my purchases on the opinions of critics. If I think I'll like something that's all I need. I don't even watch/read reviews until after I play a game or watch a movie or whatever, only to see what other people think.

I always considered Zero Punctuation like a funny little show and nothing more.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
No, I don't.

Partly because I watched him for entertainment and never really followed his recommendations to begin with. Partly because I've gotten tired of his (and other similar reviewers) style of critique and rarely watch him anymore. Save for the times he tackles genuine stinkers or high-profile disappointments, things like Ride to Hell: Retribution or No Man's Sky, respectively.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I've never based my purchases on what Yahtzee reviews. To me, he's an entertainer first, and a critic second. Not that he isn't erudite, but he's got clear preferences and prejudices, and part of the charm of ZP is that he doesn't try to hide them.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Sure do. I have never been led astray by Yhaztee in playing a game that he said is worthy. I never would have found Painkiller if it weren't for his review. Anything he says is good, I have always liked. My next game purchase is probably "A Hat in Time" because of his top 5, and I wouldn't have given that game another look based upon anything else anyone ever said about it. The things he hates about games he gives bad reviews to... are generally legitimate complaints, even if they aren't dealbreakers for me. Basically, anyone who doesn't take him as a serious reviewer or says he's more entertainer than critic... is crying because "he don't like what I like whaaaaaaaaggghhh." Basically anyone else who simply doesn't share similar taste in games to Yhatzee, stopped watching him and doesn't complain online about him because they don't care.

Aug 31, 2012
Good god, no. I've never done that. He makes entertaining videos. I have pretty narrow taste in games, I generally know what I'll like and what I won't.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I've bought a few good games based on Yahtzee's recommendations (Painkiller and Saints Row 2 being the most noteworthy), but only when they've been out for a while and at a considerable discount. He's generally not my go-to guy when it comes to these sorts of things, as I consider him to be an entertainer more than a critic. I tend to rely more on personal experience (when you've been playing video games for over 25 years you get pretty good at spotting bullshit), gameplay footage (the REAL kind, not the staged garbage they show for E3 trailers) and word-of-mouth from friends who know what kinds of games I gravitate towards.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
There's a couple of games I probably never would have played(or I would have played them much later then I did) if I hadn't heard about them through Yathzee. However, over the last few years I'm kinda less interested in his opinion on quite a few of the games and his rountine feels like it's worn a bit thin.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I never base my purchases on critics' reviews. I find games I'm interested in, then watch several gameplay videos to see what it's like, then watch/read several different reviews to see what critics think, and usually also go to a place for user opinion. And only after all of that do I start to decide for myself whether I want to buy it or not.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
He's a good critic in that, regardless of whether he likes or dislikes a game, he lets you figure out if you're going to like it or dislike it based on his review. He's honest with how the game impacts on him: no bullshit, no agendas, just being candid and sensible. And he's funny on top of that. I don't know what more you'd want from a critic.

The one thing that irks me is that sometimes he'd rather harp on the sillier contrivances of a plot nobody cares about than provide useful insight on the gameplay. I chalk it on the comedy angle.

(And for the record the only recommendation I've followed is Wolfenstein: The New Order, less for the ZP and more because of its GOTY spot.)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
[small]still? Such assumptions!
other than that, my tastes only align with his maybe 45-50% of the time, though I agree with his points around 85% of the time. But is a good laugh either way, I hope the job doesn't bring him down too much in the future, with having to write these videos weekly can be a fair bit draining I feel, the added pressure to keep coming up with humour also[/small]

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Chimpzy said:
No, I don't.

Partly because I watched him for entertainment and never really followed his recommendations to begin with. Partly because I've gotten tired of his (and other similar reviewers) style of critique and rarely watch him anymore. Save for the times he tackles genuine stinkers or high-profile disappointments, things like Ride to Hell: Retribution or No Man's Sky, respectively.
Thank you. I never bought a game based off his recommendation, but odds are I might have already had the game to begin with before he reviewed it. What made me not take his recommendations was his review of Mad World. That video was not a review, it was just a bashing video about Nintendo Wii.

I would still watches videos from time to time but nowhere near as much now. Also, there were times where he just playing the game wrong or exaggerated a flaw just for the sake of exaggerating when it was not that bad. And other people will take those opinions at face value. Yeah that's technically not his fault but he still has responsibilities as a reviewer.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I havent watched him in ages possibly years but I always viewed him as an entertainer rather than a critic. He can tell you he liked or disliked a game in an entertaining way but hes very poor at giving information needed to let others decide if they will like it. I found it quite obvious in some cases that he had hardly played the game not because I think he would like it if he played more but because he was giving out incorrect information such as the upgrades in Valkyria Chronicles being one path.

I would never decide to purchase or not purchase a game off of only one critic regardless and with Yahtzee I dont even take his opinion into consideration because of how little I find our views align and his view on a game is all I can really get from his vids.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Did people ever do that? It seems silly. He's more of a comedian than a critic.
This. I distinctly remember how he took a huge crap on Halo 3 without even touching the multiplayer in the slightest which is, literally, at least 75% of what makes Halo 3 Halo 3.