Do you think big games today will become the nostalgia of the future?

Rapamaha

Dec 6, 2010
I doubt the sequels will be remembered that much but sure there are some games that I believe I will be playing / remembering for many years, Mass Effect series, GTA 3/VC, BF1942, Operation Flashpoint.
The game industry in my opinion seems to be in abit of a "halt mode" atm and I'm waiting for someone to take the risk and invent the "next big thing" untill then we just have to play sequels and watch new IPs to fail infront of the generic mass

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I'm only nostalgic about the first games i have ever played, so if a kid started getting into games with gta4 ,halo, cod and whatnot then i guess its possible.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
veloper said:
I reckon all the current sequels and clones will tend to blur in gaming history with nothing standing out. It's all minor increments and graphical updates nowadays and that's just not memorable.
Doom is the only FPS that took a major leap.
BF3 and MW3 will be forgotten when everyone will be playing BF4 and MW4.

I feel like it will be like this. Nothing really sticks out when I try to remember great games from now except the Uncharted series. Everything else is just...meh. Maybe if the libraries get a lot bigger, but otherwise this gen was a weird one.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
The only reason I am holding onto as many games as I can right now is so that when I have kids of my own playing Halo 12 or whatever I can pull out the original Xbox and good old Halo: CE and blow their socks off. Same for Call of Duty 3 and 4... and my gamecube, oh and my Original Gameboy (though sadly the batteries in the old pokemon games are gonna die in a a few years).

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
I doubt it. People between the ages of 18 to 50 who love gaming and feel that nostalgia because back when we were younger it was a niche thing. And we remember new stuff, and innovation.

The games of today are a huge business. 13 year olds today, will look back and remember annoying DRM, the same game coming out every year (see Call of Duty, Madden, NHL and even the Mario and Zelda games which have preyed on our nostalgia and really haven't change at all. They get away with it because we remember the old ones.) and like, 30% of a game coming out for 60$ and then DLC every month for 9 months. We'll probably remember games like Portal and TF2 fondly due to their quality and the fact TF2 does free to play properly. Maybe Skyrim for being theoretically infinite on launch day (also for some of the hilarious bugs). But as for other memories. The younger gamers will probably remember wondering why the older kids seemed so unhappy with the games they grew up with, then proceed to wonder when the next Madden is coming out.

The games I referenced are all modern games we feel no nostalgia about yet. And may remember fondly one day.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I don't know about the popular ones...the REALLY popular ones will be remembered sure but when it comes to nostalgia and fond memories I think some of the lesser known titles could be more fondly remembered. Not necessarily obscure and, indie games only but more people than expected may look back on Sniper: Ghost Warrior or, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and think "They don't make em like that anymore".

Of course the exact games people have nostalgia fits over vary due to the variable nature of people. I get the warm fuzzies over Pokemon Red and, Silver but I know there are people who couldn't care less about those two.

Cpu46 said:
The only reason I am holding onto as many games as I can right now is so that when I have kids of my own playing Halo 12 or whatever I can pull out the original Xbox and good old Halo: CE and blow their socks off. Same for Call of Duty 3 and 4... and my gamecube, oh and my Original Gameboy (though sadly the batteries in the old pokemon games are gonna die in a a few years).
When it comes to Pokemon batteries, it's apparently easy enough to open the games and replace the memory batteries (they're the same type as watch batteries). As for Halo CE and the 3rd/4th Call of Duty; the most remarkable thing your kids may find out about them is the fact that you can play multiplayer using the same system, TV and, console. Just a thought and I hope I'm wrong about it too (Also it's impossible to not look at your avatar for less than a half a minute...just thought you aught to know...)

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Probably not, because the way companies drag on with games/films etc. These days people wont forget about them, cos they will still be here with shit encrusted sequels, and polished remakes. Think of Halo, Star Wars and the most inaptly named game ever FINAL FANTASY which they now have 13 main games of some of which have multiple parts and they come with a host of spin-offs (I know im not the first to say that but it is ironic). Dont get me wrong I like all three of those franchises, point being I doubt C.O.D etc. will gain nostalgia value because they will always be here.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Will there be games that will be remembered? Sure.

Will it be the biggest games of today? Probably not. They all tend to blend together into a homogenized slurry of samey sequels.

Nintendo will be the exception that proves the rule.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
Yes, I can guarantee it. It might not be the most popular games of today that are "nostalgized" (obscure verb, woop) but Its pretty much a certain thing that whatever games are looked back on will be completely overrated by the people doing the looking.

Chances are that people will get nostalgic over COD4 in the future as it fits most of the requirements for mass nostalgia - It was (and still is) very popular, it drew people together, the entire industry immediately tried to leech of its success by aping it and it was a fairly new experience at the time.

However, that kind of nostalgia sucks. The best kind is personal, where you played a niche game that barely anyone you know played (or had heard of). I imagine this kind of Nostalgia will be more and more difficult to keep hold of as games have become incredibly mainstream; I have tons of games for my PS1 which most of my PS1 owning friends have never heard of, less for PS2, and nearly none for PS3. I imagine, however, that indie games/mobile games will fill this gap...but not until they're good enough to be nostalgic about which they aren't currently.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
I've been reading a few of the comments here and I have a question. When did nostalgia change from, "that awesome thing I was really into a few years back" to "that one innovative or interesting thing that stood out and will remain in history forever?"

Whether it was a game, movie, cartoon, show, song, radio program, toy, or some other memory from you past, not everything you liked when you were younger appealed to other people. Perhaps it wasn't even remotely good to them, even going as far to be the lowest of the low on their list. But ask yourself, do you honestly give a fuck? Not even some of the supposedly big, new, memorable, innovative, or even popular games listed in this thread are gonna mean something to someone else. Not everyone feels the same joy when they see a re-run of an old show you liked. Not everyone is eager to watch that movie from a few years. Same with games.

For the most part, Nostalgia isn't just the memory of that item, but what was going on around it, sometimes not even relating to the game. You can remember how much fun you had fighting that one boss, but you also remember the amount of fun you had as your friends urged you on. Or as you tried to hand the controller over to a sibling. Or the fact that you had sports practice later, or that mom was making your favorite lunch and you actually had time to hangout with dad later. Or maybe it was a bit later in life, where you had a full head of hair, less worries, and perhaps a job you actually enjoyed. Where you lived in a world you fully understood and around people you could get along with.

TLDR: Yes, Nostalgia will exist. Some people will remember COD 2 and others, COD 4 while others remember their Bastions, Amnesia's, Half Life's and even the samey sequels. Because they had different experiences with the games that stood out to them alone, which they hold dear.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
verdant monkai said:
Probably not, because the way companies drag on with games/films etc. These days people wont forget about them, cos they will still be here with shit encrusted sequels, and polished remakes. Think of Halo, Star Wars and the most inaptly named game ever FINAL FANTASY which they now have 13 main games of some of which have multiple parts and they come with a host of spin-offs (I know im not the first to say that but it is ironic). Dont get me wrong I like all three of those franchises, point being I doubt C.O.D etc. will gain nostalgia value because they will always be here.
To be fair, though, Super Mario Bros and Super Mario 64 are nostalgic games despite the existence of New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 3d Land, and Super Mario Galaxy 2.

I'll contend that they're a huge exception, but I'm curious about why they're such a big exception, given that they're doing nearly the same thing that the other developers are.

mellemhund

Apr 1, 2009
Caleco said:
So me and my friends were chatting about stuff and like most conversations we have, the topic starts to revolve around games. And we started wondering if big games today like Skyrim or Bf3 of Cod3 will be seen as nostalgic as games like pacman, pong...
If yes which ones and why?
If no then why not?
I don't see any reason why this generations of gamers wouldn't be nostalgic about the stuff they grew up with. The only reason you are nostalgic about stuff is because it reminds you of a good time in a less complicated time. I have fond memories of playing CS at all-nighters at the local cafe (so much that I can even remember epic moments) and I'm sure current gamers will have exactly the same fond memories of exploring skyrim or messing around in CoD.

If there's anything that have been consistant with society since time immemorial it's this: The past was golden, the youth is terrible and where's those jetpacks?

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Yes everyone will be nostalgic for something even if a game was terrible if you played it at an important time of your life, or with a significant friend it will always be tied into those memories and feelings for you.
People may remember the first game they played in the series or that game they saved ages to buy as a kid and even though it was terrible will have the best memories of that event which will be linked to the game.

Nostalgia has very little to do with facts and quality but emotional events or feelings items remind us of so it will happen to games eventually.

Siuki

Nov 18, 2009
Yes. Halo CE already has for people. It's only been ten years, but the nostalgia from going back to play it still exists.

RazielXT

Oct 19, 2009
Different generations, different nostalgia. Todays twelve-year-olds will have in 10 years big nostalgias about their first MWs etc.

ALso they will be talking about Mass effect and Dragon age as classic old school RPGs instead of BG2 or IWD. Just like we now talk about BG2 and IWD instead of old Ultimas, Eye of beholder and such.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
Cpu46 said:
When it comes to Pokemon batteries, it's apparently easy enough to open the games and replace the memory batteries (they're the same type as watch batteries).
Oh, well that is nice to know. May have to do that eventually, those games are still awesome to play.
As for Halo CE and the 3rd/4th Call of Duty; the most remarkable thing your kids may find out about them is the fact that you can play multiplayer using the same system, TV and, console. Just a thought and I hope I'm wrong about it too
Yea, that is true and I hope split screen makes a comeback, pisses me off when I get a game to play with a friend and it turns out there is no splitscreen. I also love it whenever I show my much cousins a game on the N64 and they marvel at how I can even make sense of the graphics. Now imagine going from whatever level of graphics emerges in the next 20 years to Halo CE or COD 3 graphics. Much less mario 64/ banjo kazooie graphics.
(Also it's impossible to not look at your avatar for less than a half a minute...just thought you aught to know...)
Really? I'm usually the guy who gets stuck watching avatars (like the one where the ponies fight over the bed) but mine never seemed all that addictive.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
In 50 years time all war games will take place in the desert, and there will be a strange 'terrorist-zombie/vampire' mode in every shooter!