Do you think it's unethical to play a game you already own, from a company that is shitty?

Ethical to keep playing games from unethical companies?

• Yes

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • No

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • Eh, Not sure, depends on the game. ex. Live service vs single player

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Don't care

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Mix of Yes and It Depends

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Which is fine until you literally can't buy anything that is made under completely ethical practices. Like smart phones and diamonds for example.

The OP did state that they already own the game so there is no harm playing something long after the fact, you are right on that point.

But in regards to future purchases, here is where my confliction comes in:

Let's use Blizzard as an example because they are obvious right now. Those allegations are fucked up certainly and the people within responsible should be fired (and it looks like they are cleaning house). Do you then further hate the company and all the people there (victims included) after the bad guys are gone? The company is just a name, it exists no matter who works within, so if something bad happens at the company do you forever shut yourself out of that company's products even if you really enjoy them?

And if Blizzard cleaned house and made good shit again, would it then be okay to support them or does the name have to remain forever tainted?
The OP implied unaddressed bad policies/practices within the companies whose games we've bought. Of course if a company rights the ship and holds bad actors to account, they can get a second chance, but once you know your favorite diamonds are blood diamonds and are still being sourced under cruel conditions, you can't then say in good faith that you just like that source's diamonds, and since you're not personally putting the gun to the heads of slave laborers, that makes you just an innocent consumer playing your tiny role in the world of commerce.

Not a fan of Blizzard and honestly don't know what this most recent kerfuffle is all about, but if people are just learning of their wrong doings and nothing's being done about it, then anyone who logs on to their servers is complicit in their practices. Does that make them bad people? No, but they are certainly complicit supporting bad behaviors.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Not a fan of Blizzard and honestly don't know what this most recent kerfuffle is all about, but if people are just learning of their wrong doings and nothing's being done about it, then anyone who logs on to their servers is complicit in their practices. Does that make them bad people? No, but they are certainly complicit supporting bad behaviors.
What about the people who's kids play wow or overwatch because it's fun and they don't know any better. And they want loot boxes or subscription time for birthday's or christmas or whatever? Are they complicit then?

I don't think it is as easy as saying, "If you know and still support, then you are guilty too." There are too many other factors into why someone would still play a Blizzard game.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

FennecZephyr

Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United States
EA, Activision, Ubisoft and Konami. All for more or less the same reasons. For the WWII cemetery worth of devs and franchises I liked that died on their shores, which I could've been fine with had they been replaced with something, but none of them have done anything I give a rats ass about for years. For their shitty anti-consumer business practices, like mtx, always online, lootboxes, live services, and all the other revoltingly corporate bs. For being shitty employers, as has been shows rather frequently the past few years. And so on.

Oh, and in Konami's case for seeming so dismissive of the business that put them on the map.
Lately I've always heard that EA is actually a fairly decent place to work, at least for the games industry, so for them I generally look at their games with skepticism and try to avoid most Live Service stuff they do.

But I'll still pick up their games if they put out a good single player game, or for the occasional Battlefield title.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
There's no ethical companies, so it's all the same.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
What about the people who's kids play wow or overwatch because it's fun and they don't know any better. And they want loot boxes or subscription time for birthday's or christmas or whatever? Are they complicit then?

I don't think it is as easy as saying, "If you know and still support, then you are guilty too." There are too many other factors into why someone would still play a Blizzard game.
Children mostly likely aren't aware, just like those that ask for exorbitant gifts from "Santa" not realizing mom and dad have to budget to make their wishes a reality. So no, a child playing a game unawares of the shitty conditions that make their fun possible aren't complicit.

Again, I'm not suggesting people who willingly indulge in games from shit companies are bad people, but they are absolutely complicit in their support of the behavior of said companies if they recognize and acknowledge they are shit companies. I could easily tell a child "no" if their wish is to play games by a company that employs and abuses slaves or sexually harasses its employees, but if my child's fun is worth more than my dignity... I'm complicit. Doesn't make me a bad person, but it does make me a morally ambiguous one.

NovaLight

Oct 27, 2020
Country
United States
If you bought a game for the story then enjoy the game. If you bought the games because it the company that made it, then its up to you if you want to play it. Cause if your playing that way I do not know how you will enjoy that game with that mind set. And to be fair I was in that mind set at one point.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
There's no ethical companies, so it's all the same.
However, it's important that companies which are outed for shitty behaviour experience a backlash, even if it's only short term, because while that's not necessarily going to change anyone's attitude at least it will incentivise them not to let things go so far that they get caught. And hey, it's not like you can't play their games. Just hoist the black flag. I guess that's not really an option with MMOs, but why are you playing MMOs? Do you hate yourself?

It's a sad state of affairs when enforcing corporate responsibility comes down to you, the lone consumer, but it's the state we're in.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
If you bought a game for the story then enjoy the game. If you bought the games because it the company that made it, then its up to you if you want to play it. Cause if your playing that way I do not know how you will enjoy that game with that mind set. And to be fair I was in that mind set at one point.
For example, I know Ubisoft is a shit company. They treat employees bad, and cover up for abusers. But fuck me if I didn't love Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Ancient Greek mythology is my shit, and I like open world sailing games. I still play that game and even forked over a little something extra for some cosmetic items that I liked.
And I am fully aware its a moral failing on my part because Ubisoft is just such a shit company.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I guess that's not really an option with MMOs, but why are you playing MMOs? Do you hate yourself?
I never liked MMOs and found them too expensive.

But fuck me if I didn't love Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Ancient Greek mythology is my shit, and I like open world sailing games. I still play that game and even forked over a little something extra for some cosmetic items that I liked.
And I am fully aware its a moral failing on my part because Ubisoft is just such a shit company.
Ubisoft has not done anything interesting since For Honor and Rayman Legends While AC: Odyssey is better than most AC games, it still fees like another cog in the franchise without much to set apart other than setting. With all the abuse and racism in the company, in addition to having you pay a shell price of games that are not finished, they can fuck off. No way I am paying for a far below mediocre slop that exploits children and those with addiction problem.

Nintendo is about be on my shit list too with Pokemon Unite. Then again, I rarely buy Nintendo consoles for 1st party games anymore. My library is mostly 3rd party and some 2nd party games. They're nothing more than a means to an end for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
However, it's important that companies which are outed for shitty behaviour experience a backlash, even if it's only short term, because while that's not necessarily going to change anyone's attitude at least it will incentivise them not to let things go so far that they get caught. And hey, it's not like you can't play their games. Just hoist the black flag. I guess that's not really an option with MMOs, but why are you playing MMOs? Do you hate yourself?

It's a sad state of affairs when enforcing corporate responsibility comes down to you, the lone consumer, but it's the state we're in.
I only played FFXI back in the day, tried XIV for the free month, too busy being competitive with fighters to play MMOs nowadays.

I save my backlash for when they put out bad games, like that phone diablo. I am not in companies seeking to be served by moral agents, just competent ones at whatever task they're supposed to be fulfilling.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
A lot of games are a massive collaborative effort. Yes sure a 'company' made it, but a lot of the staff involved are basically innocent. Also not all companies started out shit, and they might have turned shit over time. These moral boycotts can have a bit of collateral damage if you will. When it comes to companies like Activision Blizzard, I'm sure enough people will continue playing CoD/Warzone and Kotick will continue being absurdly rich and nothing will fundamentally change.

Anyway playing old games you already own in no way supports them, so I don't see the fuss. There's also the option of waiting for big 75% sales on older titles which I don't think contributes much to the company. Or just pirate shit. I also don't think I have the energy to make a moral stand on every single product I consume. I suppose I should stop eating chocolate and make sure my coffee beans are some fair trade thing every time I go to a cafe.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Old games you've long since paid for, play them all you want. Money is long since spent, you might as well get as much enjoyment as you can from them. I despise Ubisoft now but that doesn't change the fact AC: Black Flag is one of the few games on my short list if I could only play 3 games for the remainder of my life because at the time this shit was either tolerable or I was ignorant of their shittiness(which would have no doubt changed my decision making if I had known at the time).

That's before you get into IP purchases and companies getting bought out by EA and such(I mean, figuring out what happened to studios of old can be quite the rabbit hole dive, so that copy of C&C is now part of the EA blob). Should I never play lucasarts games again because it's now owned by Disney who have numerous questionable, if not downright shitty, business practices? Even if I bought all my LA games long before DIsney owned the company(and LA more or less died of neglect and creative stagnation long before that happened, to boot)?

Now that being said, new purchases are contributing to a company that might be fucking terrible and that's a moral/ethical decision you need to weigh, how much you really want that game vs. directly contributing to companies that are fucking terrible. Especially with MMO's where you continue to pay money to keep playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Jack and I talk a bit about this on The Escapist Show this weekend, but changes at these massive studios have to come from within. 99.9% of people playing Warzone for example probably have ZERO idea of anything going on at Activision Blizzard. Only people that know pay attention to the news or are on social media and more connected to the games they're playing. That's it.

Big difference in putting pressure on a smaller indie company by not buying or playing their game if they have shit business practices compared to not buying or playing Blizzard's stuff when they're raking in millions of dollars a day already. When it comes to a company that large, I think only you can decide if you want to support or not, or if you care.

Only way change happens at Activision is if the studios there create enough of a huff that investors really take notice and changes are made. Money speaks above all else when you have a company the size of Activision, and while they may think their teams are replaceable, they'll be in for a rude-awakening when their talent pool leaves and the next Call of Duty scores poorly on Metacritic etc.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I fall into the camp of "If I already own the game, I'm really only punishing myself if I decide to stop playing it based on something I find out about later." I'm not buying any more Activision-Blizzard games, and I'm not buying any more Ubisoft games. As a consumer, that's about all the power I have. It's not much, but at the same time, I don't feel comfortable just saying "Well, these companies are doing horrible shit that I know about, but I'll still support them because I want to play Diablo II."

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I'd say it depends on the game.

Single Player sure play away you bought it they got your money you're only punishing yourself.

Multiplayer though that's tougher as more people playing actually helps support the game and encourages people to buy microtransactions and lootboxes. If you have a subscription for WOW and can't cancel sure play it out. If it's Overwatch though I wouldn't say it's unethical but I'd still feel a bit bad (I own a copy of Overwatch and haven't played since the Blitzchung incident). To those who do play Overwatch I'd strongly encourage you to consider moving to or checking out Paladins

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
The only titles I own or have invested money in are single player games. Those I have no qualms about playing more of since I've already made the purchase, me playing it is not supporting the company. In the same way: if it turns out Ikea has been the front for an international sex slave ring I am not going to throw away the bookshelf I bought from them a few years back.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I’m kinda pissed I fell for the CoD: BO CW hype when I was jonesing a bit for a new shooter last fall and got the season pass edition. Still haven’t even played the fucker. Even uninstalled it this spring sometime to make space for other games. Eventually I’ll want to play through it because its setting and time period are what ultimately drew me to it over other recent shooters, and I like that Raven made it.

Anyways it’s kinda what prompted my no new game purchases initiative this year, which I’m still adhering to.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Jack and I talk a bit about this on The Escapist Show this weekend, but changes at these massive studios have to come from within. 99.9% of people playing Warzone for example probably have ZERO idea of anything going on at Activision Blizzard. Only people that know pay attention to the news or are on social media and more connected to the games they're playing. That's it.

Big difference in putting pressure on a smaller indie company by not buying or playing their game if they have shit business practices compared to not buying or playing Blizzard's stuff when they're raking in millions of dollars a day already. When it comes to a company that large, I think only you can decide if you want to support or not, or if you care.

Only way change happens at Activision is if the studios there create enough of a huff that investors really take notice and changes are made. Money speaks above all else when you have a company the size of Activision, and while they may think their teams are replaceable, they'll be in for a rude-awakening when their talent pool leaves and the next Call of Duty scores poorly on Metacritic etc.
Yeah I have to agree with this. There are simply too many general people buying lootboxes and microtransactions and just playing the games they like, for any change to really come from the public. The deep and real change will have to be the employees standing up and just not doing the work. Not making the games, protesting and walking out, unionizing even.

I think the outcry from internal Blizzard employees are going to have a much bigger impact that a few gamers not buying the next CoD.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Yeah I have to agree with this. There are simply too many general people buying lootboxes and microtransactions and just playing the games they like, for any change to really come from the public. The deep and real change will have to be the employees standing up and just not doing the work. Not making the games, protesting and walking out, unionizing even.

I think the outcry from internal Blizzard employees are going to have a much bigger impact that a few gamers not buying the next CoD.
I dunno I think people can make an impact it's just about thinking one can be made and being ok with not seeing a huge impact but doing it for yourself (with multiplayer games).

I mean we saw with Battlefield V how people put off by it could impact sales. It doesn't need to be a huge loss of sales just enough to make an impact and from there the internal struggles etc start because sales targets weren't met and the reason for the failure is looked into.