Do you think Remembrance day is a day that everyone should take part in?

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
Yes, it is.

To me, all such days are to remember ALL those lost in all wars, on every side, no matter who they were or why they fought. It is a day to remember the tragedy of war and remind our children why it is a terrible thing.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Perhaps you should remind your friend that we celebrate this day to remember the war, specifically for the purpose OF NOT DOING it AGAIN. If we remember how bad the world wars are and what caused them, we hope to prevent it from happening again.

but if your friend thinks ww1/2 are not bad enough to want to avoid, by all means tell em to ignore rememberance day.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Vegosiux said:
The best way to honor those you believe to have given their lives so you can live yours in peace is to actually live your life, not stand around for 2 minutes once every year.
this is all I have to say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX_3y3u5Uo

(wish I knew how to embed >.>)

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
i'd much rather see an international day of remembering the victims of war of all nations and peoples. not a thing to mystify and glorify one sides military with a rather dark history. this kind of thinking leads to people not questioning, just blind worship.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
lRookiel said:
Me personally I take Remembrance day seriously because it's a way to give respect, I just had a chat with one of my friends and he thinks that people are idiots for making war happen in the first place, so he's not going to honour Humanity's mistakes.

But what do you guys think?
I think your friend has a misguided belief about what the day's supposed to be about. I consider Veteran's Day/Armistice Day/Remembrance Day as a time to honor the people who have served in the military and the sacrifices they've made (regardless of the country they served), not to glorify war itself.

Speaking as someone with a History major and an avid interest in the World Wars, I think it would be nice if people took a minute or two every day to reflect on such things. Simply put, I think people who can't even do it once or twice in an entire year are disrespectful.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Darkmantle said:
Vegosiux said:
The best way to honor those you believe to have given their lives so you can live yours in peace is to actually live your life, not stand around for 2 minutes once every year.

Nope. No epiphany. Apologies.

Brinnmilo

Mar 18, 2009
As with all things "haters gonna hate", personally I am more than happy to take part in remembrance day. I do think people who are anti-remembrance day tend to be the pretentious type or the type that don't really grasp what the day is about (and inside I rage at them, but I wont go down that unpleasant road).

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Vegosiux said:
Darkmantle said:
Vegosiux said:

Nope. No epiphany. Apologies.
your two minutes is so important to you that you can't pay your respects for millions dead? you are quite selfish sir. I'm glad your life is so important you can blatantly not give a toss about millions of others.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Darkmantle said:
your two minutes is so important to you that you can't pay your respects for millions dead? you are quite selfish sir. I'm glad your life is so important you can blatantly not give a toss about millions of others.
Well, EXCUSE ME.

Let me ask you this: You really think those dead people, assuming they can see and judge, would be offended by seeing a person enjoying their life? Really? REALLY?

As long as I'm actively working on continuing their goals, ergo, working on making the world a better place for those I can do that for, I'm PRETTY sure they won't mind if I skip on a 2-minute ritual.

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
We don't celebrate Remembrance Day here, so no, I do not think everyone should take part in it.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Vegosiux said:
Darkmantle said:
Well, EXCUSE ME.

Let me ask you this: You really really think those dead people would be offended by seeing a person enjoying their life? Really? REALLY?
do you really think their loved ones are offended by seeing you not give a rat's ass? really? REALLY?

especially since a war is going on right now and casualties are being taken.

EDIT: so EXCCUUUSE me for interrupting your happy fun times princess.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
well, i've got veterans day due to where i live. the only veteran i know is my dad, who was a chef in the navy during the cold war. so i'm not really with or against the whole remembrance thing. seems nice though/

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Darkmantle said:
do you really think their loved ones are offended by seeing you not give a rat's ass? really? REALLY?
It's not like I'm going into their face and dance on their loved one's ashes. I simply keep going about my business. If they're offended by me trying to live a fulfilling life, then I'm the one who should be taking offense.

Luckily, I'm not bigoted enough to take offense to someone simply choosing to live their life differently.

But you're right, I'm a terrible person; I also eat babies, dismember kitties, and write catchy sales pitches.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
I don't take part in it at all, but I have no feelings one way or the other for those that do. When there was a minute's silence today I made sure was out of the building so as not to offend anyone when I inevitably wasn't silent. Some people seem to think that we should all remember it as respect, which I don't personally subscribe to*, but I certainly see the value of reminding people of the horrors of war and why not to let things get that far.

So, no. No-one should be forced into something based so greatly on personal feelings. But when someone starts on me for not wearing a poppy (example) I come down on them like a ton of bricks.

*EDIT:
Trippy Turtle said:
I think joining the army was a stupid idea. I also don't see how showing respect for the dead helps them in any way.
Don't get me wrong. I am grateful they fought for us but if I was dead then I wouldn't care if people were silent for a while every year. The best way to honor them is to live our life as happily as we can because that is what they fought for.
Put my feelings into words pretty perfectly.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I think joining the army was a stupid idea. I also don't see how showing respect for the dead helps them in any way.
Don't get me wrong. I am grateful they fought for us but if I was dead then I wouldn't care if people were silent for a while every year. The best way to honor them is to live our life as happily as we can because that is what they fought for.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Vegosiux said:
Darkmantle said:
It's not like I'm going into their face and dance on their loved one's ashes. I simply keep going about my business. If they're offended by me trying to live a fulfilling life, then I'm the one who should be taking offense.

Luckily, I'm not bigoted enough to take offense to someone simply choosing to live their life differently.

But you're right, I'm a terrible person; I also eat babies, dismember kitties, and write catchy sales pitches.
I'm not sure if you can straw man any harder.

you are perfectly within your rights to not participate, but that's not going to stop me from believing you are an entitled selfish jerk-off with no concept of what the holiday you are boycotting about.

TheEvilCheese said:
I don't take part in it at all, but I have no feelings one way or the other for those that do. When there was a minute's silence today I made sure was out of the building so as not to offend anyone when I inevitably wasn't silent. Some people seem to think that we should all remember it as respect, which I don't personally subscribe to, but I certainly see the value of reminding people of the horrors of war and why not to let things get that far.

So, no. No-one should be forced into something based so greatly on personal feelings. But when someone starts on me for not wearing a poppy (example) I come down on them like a ton of bricks.
well if you think reminding people of the horrors of war is good idea, why don't you participate in the event SPECIFICALLY designed for the purpose? that just reeks of hypocrisy

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
lRookiel said:
Me personally I take Remembrance day seriously because it's a way to give respect, I just had a chat with one of my friends and he thinks that people are idiots for making war happen in the first place, so he's not going to honour Humanity's mistakes.

But what do you guys think?
Well Remembrance Day for me is about thinking what a stupid horrible shame it was that stupid tools like patriotism and propaganda led to millions and millions dead. Those poor guys who died brutal deaths didn't want to die and didn't want war. I think your friend is kind of missing the point. It's not supposed to glorify them. It isn't a question of "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori". I remember going to the graveyards in france and my friend (who was a big military nut, read all the Sharpe books etc, wanted to vote for UKIP) said he just wished he could die in such a great honourable way. I got really angry because he missed the point. The point is they should never have died in the first place and there was nothing beautiful or honourable about how they died. The point is not that they died for freedom and so we wouldn't be all speaking german. The point is it was all pointless and that's why it's a sad day and worth a couple of minutes silence.

Fortunately my friend has been getting steadily more sane with more exposure to me, I'm like some kind of cure for patriotism.

Your friend at least has sort of the right idea in that people are idiots for making it happen but he's also assuming that everyone who pays respect for the premature death of millions of young men also honours it. It does at least deserve respect, but obviously not glory.