Do you think that Video Game skills relate to combat skills?

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
MAbie.... when I shot my first rifle. All 3 of my shots were right above the bulls eye by the size of half a quarter and all of the shots were within a half an inch radius of each other. It Was really awseome. Instructor had to ask me about 5 times after that if i had ever shot before. So my guess is mabie a little bit. Considering how there were guys (who were shooting all day) getting 1 near the bulls eye...and 1 shot completly off the board.

jacobschndr

Aug 15, 2008
That is probably,definately no. lets face it, majority of people who game probably lack the skills to really do any flying, driving, shooting, etc, in real life....for the most part anyway.

Crowghast

Aug 29, 2008
As it turns out, video games increase skills in hand-eye-coordination. Doctors who regularly play video games are noted as being much more successful when performing microsurgery, or something.

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
Video games did not make me a naturally good shot with a rifle (I'm not amazing with handguns unfortunately), nor did they teach me to play guitar (though guitar hero DID improve my accuracy and speed).

I've seen people try and take video games as real-life training at the range, and they don't know the first thing about shouldering a weapon properly, or even how to line up the sights properly.

Playing Tekken also didn't make me a better hand-to-hand fighter, but watching it did (in combination with Krav Maga and Sambo demonstrations on YouTube, and the show Human Weapon), when my brother and I (both experienced martial artists to begin with), went "Oh, I see how they're doing that! ...I think." And then ran through it until we could do it.

Pressing buttons does not equal learning to fight, shoot, or anything combat related. But it DOES do is teach you bad habits and expectations that you'll take with you into the military (if you join) where they'll have to beat it out of you.

Dr. Gorgenflex

May 10, 2009
No, I do MMA and I can safely say video games have nothing to do with hand to hand combat skills. In my paintball experience it only makes some people use bad strategies. It is terrible because it makes people think taking hits is okay but in reality it has huge consequences. It does however, increase reflexes and eye sight which help somewhat and does desensitize you a bit. But the answer to your question is no.

Deleric

Dec 29, 2008
It might help you take in a real life situation more but it won't increase chances of survival.

MadManZac

Jul 21, 2010
Not in any way shape or form. I know that if I was put into a combat situation without any military training and only had what I learned from video games to guide me, I would be one of the first people with a bullet through the head.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
oh god no. i hate all the stupid gaming nerds who think they are kung foo experts and such. it annoys the crap out of me.

chemicalfire

Nov 10, 2009
No. The worst soldiers I had were the ones that joined because of a video game. I actually had a soldier tell me once: "Well, I figured I played enough FPS games that I would be really good for the Army." That particular person was separated from service on account of "Failure to Adapt".

Thoff09

Jun 12, 2010
As far as hand to hand combat and actually firing a weapon... OF COURSE NOT. But i do feel they've given me more of a tactical mind. I'm an avid airsoft player and i find that i use alot of the same tactics that i've seen in games... except for halo, cause jumping into the middle of a fight and bashing is retarded.

EDIT: Oh, and i am a damn good shot, but that was long before i played videogames regularly. That just comes from living in the country :p

pakker

May 8, 2008
After having received actual military training (tho never been sent off) I'd say its a big no, with caps on top. Actually its pretty far fetched even to think that games like CoD teaches anything compared to real war tactics, most western armies doctrines require extremely overwhelming forces to even consider engaging in urban warfare, it ranges somewhere around 10 to 1 for the attacking side... Most shooters (least the most popular ones) have you marching right into ambush after ambush, running headless around, using no tactical movement what so ever...

And the "i would shoot someone without caring", from what everyone who have been to war have said, that is an outright lie. And yes, one of the sarges where a gamer nerd, and a great soldier (not related, but when his phone rang and the Mario theme was playing.. xD).

Just ask yourself one question: "Does moving a mouse across the mouse pad compare to turning around and aiming a gun?" I think the answer is pretty obvious..

If gaming is preparing us for any real life warfare, its mech-warfare.

era81

Jun 11, 2009
Fuck no it is completely different I assure you that the hardest part of a fire fight is when the som'***** shoots back and no game can recreate that at least not yet.I have never played a video game that even came close to what real combat it is in an environment that is not rational you have to check your adranaline and remember that friendly fire always counts you have to be mindful of how many shots you have when is a good time to reload when are you using to much ammo in that chaos you also have to remember that there aren't any head been blowd off kits.War games just don't have that defication into the oscillation feeling not to me anyway but I never could get any real enjoyment out of them I remember hearing about a game on the first Xbox that if you died your save was erased maybe that would be the first step too teaching combat skills through gaming a sense of peril at fucking up eight hours in.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Abso-freaking-lutely not. Games train your fingers to respond to threat rather than your fists, feet and limbs. Every good soldier has to have their whole body in the action.

However, violent games as a whole are helpful when learning to respond calmly to blood spilled and other unexpected stressful stimuli. It's the difference between panicking/fainting or staying calm and focused enough to perform first aid.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
Well, actually, I've improved a couple of my skills playing video games. I had poor reaction time, hand-eye co-ordination and strategic thinking. However, most of my strategies involve things like cannon-fodder, feints, flanking and going all Leeroy Jenkins in order to survey an enemy's set-up for myself and others. For example, my usual plan in Team Fortress 2 is to rush in from one direction while setting up a good defense, then, once the enemies are all bunched together, I have a couple people go around the side and get 'em from behind as a distraction in order to allow the main force to push through. However, this involves many people dying and, therefore, cannot be used in real life. So, yes and no.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
You know what instead of just saying no I will say, yes. If you pay close enough attention in a game like call of duty: MW you could learn how to reload several guns. And I've seen very accurate chamber clears in shooter games too. You would probably also have some better hand eye coordination, which may help with hip/reflex firing but that would be a stretch.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Some RPGs could improve your arithmetic, perhaps. After playing Cooking Mama you might be better at burning food.