Doctor Who Aims for Emotion, But Misses

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Gorfias said:
joshuaayt said:
I actually really like the focus on Clara. She doesn't take the Doctor's shit, and seems comfortable enough going behind his back.
That said, I really, REALLY, hate Danny. I don't like him, he's frustrating to watch and uncomfortably volatile.
I don't understand all the Clara hate (and hate for companions in general). I think she is wonderful. The companions give us a side story worth being emotionally involved in. The Doctor is too alien though a delight to watch.

Kind of like the intention of Robin to Batman. Someone human enough for us to identify with.

Danny has been fun so far. I don't hate him either. There was better banter with him in this episode than Rory enjoyed in his entire run.

There is more than just Clara for the Doc and Danny to fight over: the Doc is a "Lord" to Danny and guilty of the sins of the over-class to him. Rory never had that kind of conflict with which to deal.
Clara as a character is fine. The weighted /focus/ on her is what annoys me. The companion merely being there allows us to identify with her as the audience surrogate, the focus doesn't need to be so weighted towards her, otherwise you get the Transformers Effect (ie too much focus on the damn humans and not the titular character). Claras mundane life can be presented, I just don't think it should take up as much screen time as it does. We managed to be invested and get to know the rest of the companions(except Rose, she was fuckin naff) without them shoving The Doctor out of the way and eating screen time with mundanity. Amy and Rory never ate story time, they were just there as the adventure unfolded. I'm much more emotionally invested in the Doctor, regardless of him being alien, because I like his character. A character doesn't need to be human for you to be able to relate or be emotionally investe.

I'm not too hot on her being such a massive part of the Doctors mythology either. She already went into his time stream and effected him there, but now she's the catalyst for his entire purpose.

Danny is just....he's so wet and depressing to watch. His argument with Clara was laughable; "Why didn't you tell me?" he asks, Clara gets all guilty and sorry when what she should of said is "Tell you, that I go off to travel in time and space with a 2000 year old alien that shapeshifts and calls himself "The Doctor" who lives in a police box called The TARDIS that's bigger on the inside?"

EDIT: Watch out for the edits!

Soviet Heavy said:
I did enjoy the Doctor whistling Pink Floyd's The Wall when Clara was pressuring a student. Other than that, there really was no reason for this episode to be as dull as it is.
I can't believe I actually missed that, especially as I'd read this post before watching the episode ><

Suhi89

Oct 9, 2013
elvor0 said:
Gorfias said:
joshuaayt said:
I actually really like the focus on Clara. She doesn't take the Doctor's shit, and seems comfortable enough going behind his back.
That said, I really, REALLY, hate Danny. I don't like him, he's frustrating to watch and uncomfortably volatile.
I don't understand all the Clara hate (and hate for companions in general). I think she is wonderful. The companions give us a side story worth being emotionally involved in. The Doctor is too alien though a delight to watch.

Kind of like the intention of Robin to Batman. Someone human enough for us to identify with.

Danny has been fun so far. I don't hate him either. There was better banter with him in this episode than Rory enjoyed in his entire run.

There is more than just Clara for the Doc and Danny to fight over: the Doc is a "Lord" to Danny and guilty of the sins of the over-class to him. Rory never had that kind of conflict with which to deal.
Clara as a character is fine. The weighted /focus/ on her is what annoys me. The companion merely being there allows us to identify with her as the audience surrogate, the focus doesn't need to be so weighted towards her, otherwise you get the Transformers Effect (ie too much focus on the damn humans and not the titular character). Claras mundane life can be presented, I just don't think it should take up as much screen time as it does. We managed to be invested and get to know the rest of the companions(except Rose, she was fuckin naff) without them shoving The Doctor out of the way and eating screen time with mundanity. Amy and Rory never ate story time, they were just there as the adventure unfolded. I'm much more emotionally invested in the Doctor, regardless of him being alien, because I like his character. A character doesn't need to be human for you to be able to relate or be emotionally investe.

I'm not too hot on her being such a massive part of the Doctors mythology either. She already went into his time stream and effected him there, but now she's the catalyst for his entire purpose.

Danny is just....he's so wet and depressing to watch. His argument with Clara was laughable; "Why didn't you tell me?" he asks, Clara gets all guilty and sorry when what she should of said is "Tell you, that I go off to travel in time and space with a 2000 year old alien that shapeshifts and calls himself "The Doctor" who lives in a police box called The TARDIS that's bigger on the inside?"

EDIT: Watch out for the edits!

Soviet Heavy said:
I did enjoy the Doctor whistling Pink Floyd's The Wall when Clara was pressuring a student. Other than that, there really was no reason for this episode to be as dull as it is.
I can't believe I actually missed that, especially as I'd read this post before watching the episode ><
So much this. Especially the line in bold. I loved Amy and Rory, not a fan of Clara and Danny, but Moffat seems to love her so much that she has to be the most important person in the Doctor's life ever.

I caught the Pink Floyd line though. It was the highlight of the episode.

The lowlight for me was Mr Awesome Pink doing a flip somersault over a killer robot so dangerous that it needs to be dealt with now but so terrible that it can't hit a guy under a foot away.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
elvor0 said:
Clara as a character is fine. The weighted /focus/ on her is what annoys me. The companion merely being there allows us to identify with her as the audience surrogate, the focus doesn't need to be so weighted towards her, otherwise you get the Transformers Effect (ie too much focus on the damn humans and not the titular character).
Matter of taste then. I adore her and want more of her. But you have a point. I love this new doctor and want to know more about him as well.

except Rose, she was fuckin naff
I had to look up what naff even means. Uh Oh. I adore Rose as well and I miss her being a regular presence. You could do an entire spin off of her and Tennet in the Alternate Universe. They do have them. A buddy will loand me volumes 1 and 2 of Star Trek/Who comic book spin off when he is done next week. I can't wait. In it, Who has no knowledge of any of the Star Trek characters, suggesting universe hopping a possibility.

I missed the "Wall" whistleing. I'll recheck.

Suhi89 said:
The lowlight for me was Mr Awesome Pink doing a flip somersault over a killer robot so dangerous that it needs to be dealt with now but so terrible that it can't hit a guy under a foot away.
I rolled my eyes during that but just let it pass.