Doctor Who and Donna Team Up With the Bard

xhable

Oct 17, 2008
Anybody else notice that escapist have misunderstood how to implement a captcha, the text is in the source!

Anyway... Tennant for the win... Tate I personally find her voice unbearably whiny.

jez29

Nov 18, 2009
Sylocat said:
Is't possible? Sits the wind in that corner?
I should think this a gull, but that the not-games editor speaks it. Knavery cannot, sure, hide himself in such reverence.

(I feel so pretentious right now.)

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Meh, the only good Shakespeare play was Titus Andronicus.

Then again, if anyone can make watching a Shakespeare play utterly brilliant, it's David Tennant. Shame I don't live in England...

Maximillian Ferris

Nov 17, 2010
The radio show might be kicking around on iPlayer somewhere; I listened to it at the time. I think it was a Christmas special.

Oh, and they did do Never Mind the Buzzcocks Dr Who special once. That was utterly brilliant. Can't find the link though.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
This screams "publicity stunt" to me; casting one of them wouldn't have been notable, but casting two stars of Doctor Who seems a little like attention-grabbing.

Given the chance, though, I'll definitely go to see it. Tennant's an excellent actor.

Ih8pkmn said:
Moriarty70 said:
Please let them film this like his Hamlet and Stewart's Mackers!
YES. I saw Tennant's Hamlet on PBS, and loved it. Tennant plays a good crazy person.
I still wish they'd done that production of Hamlet as a Star Trek/ Doctor Who crossover, seeing as two of the main characters were played by Captain Picard and the Doctor. It would've been awesome.

xhable said:
Love the Tennant.... but Catherine Tate has the most irritating whiny voice in the world. Please stay off my tv!
I agree; I can't stand Catherine Tate either. The irony is, though, that this might actually make her quite good for Beatrice. The character is, for most of the play, an annoying little shrew; Tate would barely have to act (which is probably a good thing).

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
I HAVE TICKETS!!! :D

My love of Shakespeare, combined with my love of both Tennant and Tate, meant it was so no-brainer :)

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Even if I didn't like Catherine Tate's character, this is, as The Doctor would say, BRILLIANT!

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Meark said:
Moriarty70 said:
Please let them film this like his Hamlet and Stewart's Mackers!

Elizabeth Grunewald said:
Tennant and Tate will star as Beatrice and Benedick in a new production of Much Ado About Nothing, opening this June in London's West End.

It's an actual stage production, so if it's filmed, it's either a bootlegged shakey-cam, or a leaked archival version. On the bright side, the audiences will be packed regardless.
Actually what the BBC and PBS have been doing the last few years is producing a film version of the these plays. The stage it in such a way that allows the overall concept of the production to be maintained but also take advantage of the filmed version.

Both of the ones I referenced actually used a limited number of sets. Hamlet was, I think, about 3 rooms and a nebulous area for the "not Denmark" scenes. As for "The Scottish Play" it used about 3 rooms in what looks like a war bunker and one or two for the England scenes.

I think it's geoblocked to the states, but if you can, here's the aforementioned Hamlet. It's also on Blu-ray et. al. for within $30

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/episodes/hamlet/watch-the-film/980/

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Okay...for some reason, I'm seeing a bunch of Doctor Who fans appearing in droves at this performance all dressed like the Doctor each with their own replica of the Sonic Screwdriver...with at least one guy resembling Tom Baker's Doctor.

Actually...if I don't see a replica of the Type 40 anywhere outside the theater, I'll be VERY disappointed.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Sigh... a potentially once-in-a-lifetime performance from Tennant to be marred by the vacuous moron that is Catherine Tate. She must be one of the thickest people ever to grace the screen. If you don't believe me, look up the episode of Never Mind The Buzzcocks with David Tennant guest-hosting. You'll never be able to watch her again.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
I want to see! I love Catherine Tate, I think she is a fabulous comedian and Tennant's Doctor is the best one. Hands down, and I have seen them all.

Hehehe, Much Ado About Nothing, such a dirty play.

EDIT: Also, Tennant didn't do the animated How to Train Your Dragon, he narrates the audiobooks for the series. The books are VERY different from the movie btw.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
That should be very good.
Still, it probably wont be as good as the Kenneth Branagh movie of Much Ado.
That is the best film adaptation of any Shakespeare play.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
EXACTLY what I was thinking. I'm not in any way a Shakespeare fan, but I do quite like Much Ado and especially that film.

It may partly be due to my Keanu Reeves man-crush though...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Daveman said:
GonzoGamer said:
EXACTLY what I was thinking. I'm not in any way a Shakespeare fan, but I do quite like Much Ado and especially that film.

It may partly be due to my Keanu Reeves man-crush though...
Good point. My adoration of that film may be due to my man-crush on Brian Blessed, he could've been like the perverted uncle I never had.
Kidding.
I did/do really have a crush on Emma Thompson though. She's just adorable. Kate Bekensale is pretty hot too.