Doctor Who: General Discussion

Xhumed

Jun 15, 2008
What I like about Donna, is that unlike Rose or Martha, she a) isn't trying to get in his pants, b)actually isn't over-awed with him and will give him the odd bit of stick. Its also good she isn't like some of the old female assistants, whose primary function was to scream at the end of cliffhanger episodes...

jim_doki

Mar 29, 2008
i have to agree. I think donna is the most practical assistant he's had in years, and also one who can handle her own, which is awesome

TheGhostOfSin

Terrible, Terrible Damage.
May 21, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil post=18.71181.719549 said:
@Indigo : Yeah, the one thing I've got really annoyed about this new series is the amount of people the Doctor has kiled. The Nestene Intelligence in the first episode was outright murder, and it's gone on from there. :(
The Doctor was always a pacifist.
I always thought that his darker nature in the new series was being used as a way to show how badly the time war had affected him.

Eilanis

Mar 14, 2008
The end of series 4 was terrible and terribly sad for me. RTD really does a great job with the characters and their relationships, but bites at the sci-fi part of the show. Mosfat will be a definite improvement there. But the end of the show with Donna just broke my heart, twice.

I have a curiosity though. Didn't the Doctor permanently lock the TARDIS between 2007 and the year 10 trillion at the end of series 3? He doesn't often use the word "permanent", so you would think that anything the Doctor sees as permanent is simply unchangeable.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Elim Garak post=18.71181.718732 said:
Indigo_Dingo post=18.71181.717969 said:
Elim Garak post=18.71181.717748 said:
Every time the Doctor regenerates, I remember that the 12th one is supposed to be evil. And there are supposed to be only 12 regenerations possible. Oh well, we have one more to go. Although I am guessing that they will ignore that part if it comes to that. The 12th doctor was evil on Galifray, when he, #4 (I think) and the Master were stuck in the Galifrayan computer system (a la Matrix).
We've already had an evil Doctor though. And it was never actually said which Doctor he was.....
Crap, we already had an evil doctor? When was that?
The Valeyard?

EDIT: To root_of_all_evil:

I'm not saying I disliked Doctor #4, I just didn't think he was better than #3 or #5. And #10 is also doing a really good job as well.

Feb 13, 2008
Eyclonus post=18.71181.720148 said:
I was wondering more the point of why they were more than happy to fuck with the fabric of reality just to get organs from the most famous mistress in history.
The ship was falling apart, so they needed the parts from the originator; and without humans, they looked to the name of the ship (revealed in the last few frames).

Ghostofsin said:
I always thought that his darker nature in the new series was being used as a way to show how badly the time war had affected him.
Well, he's always really had that dark side. William Hartnell always criticised people, Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee had no problems with using quite evil reverse psychology, Tom Baker always over-ruled Romana and Leela and Sylvester McCoy was damning about Earth's enviromental issues, The Haemovores. Colin Baker's Who was the only one I could see deliberately planning murder though.

As for Tennant's evil streak, I think there's a line he crossed. Given what Martha went through in The Sound of Drums, you could at least think he could say "Thank you", but Rose, Mickey, Jack and Martha have been used as live bait; and the Family of Blood were tortured for eternity. That's more Sandman than Doctor Who.

I have a curiosity though. Didn't the Doctor permanently lock the TARDIS between 2007 and the year 10 trillion at the end of series 3? He doesn't often use the word "permanent", so you would think that anything the Doctor sees as permanent is simply unchangeable.
Yep, but then he used the Paradox machine, seen in Doomsday to throw the Toclafane back. (Oh yeah, killing the remnants of the Human race in the progress...) before returning to the point just after the UK PrimeMinister kills the US President.

So...no more animosity between the two nations then...(?!?!??!??!?!?)

Lord Krunk said:
The Valeyard?
Oh god...I have gone wrong...

Ok, back @ Elim Garak, it was The Ultimate Foe, the Master takes the confusion and hatred between the Doctor's 12 and 13th(final) regeneration and uses it to shape the Valeyard (The Evil Doctor). However, this is the Master we're talking about, so he may be lying all the way to the TARDIS.

Unfortunately, we've got at least three canon's conflicting on that point, so it's really difficult to work out whether this was a dream, Matrix induced idea, The Black/White Guardians fighting or just the Master being a git.

Which Doctor you liked, I think, depends on who you grew up with. I always loved the sheer randomness of #4.

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
I didnt grow up with Worzel Gummage but he was one of my favorite Doctors, I was Peter Davidson era. But the sheer love of Martian Kungfu and his Victorian Car won me over that and of course UNIT were in nearly every episode thanks to the BBC running out of a decent effects budget and grounding the doctor in the seventies. Not that it destroyed the stories any. Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy were doctors in a time when the BBC were attempting to kill the franchise after the intervention of the Doctors two worst foes forget the Sontarans and Cybermen, Mary Whitehouse and Michael Grade!

Oh and thanks for the UNIT website address, I will be signing up next week!

Feb 13, 2008
Oh...you had to mention Michael Grade.

RAAARGHHHH...ROOT SMASH!

Here is a git who, out of his own mouth, hates science fiction; and at a time where it was STILL garnering more audience than Top of The Pops, he cancelled it. And then appeared on Room 101 to throw it in because he thought it was shit.

Now, fair enough, I loathe Eastenders, but you simply don't cancel a well-loved programme that's within your top ten best programmes ever.

I'm STILL waiting for an apology from the BBC for that outrage.

Oh, and if you really want to get wound up, here is that episode. Remember this is 12 years after he cancelled it.

[edit: Dammit. Youtube have removed it]

Post Mortem : Michael Grade wrote a letter to Russel T saying that he was amazed how it got so many viewers and good luck with it. Hanging is too good for him.

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
Slightly Off topic but within the same area what do you think of Merlin? As a bit of an Arthurian Scholar I may want to tear out my own eyes at this but hey.

Feb 13, 2008
electric discordian post=362.71181.720994 said:
Slightly Off topic but within the same area what do you think of Merlin? As a bit of an Arthurian Scholar I may want to tear out my own eyes at this but hey.
Rule of thumb : Given that Robin Hood had T-Shirts, I treat any 'historical' series in the same way I treat Xena : Warrior Princess.

Fluff that has people slotting historical references in.

I can recommend Diana : Warrior Princess for people with a dark sense of humour.

Post Post Mortem : Michael Grade chose the items to go into the Millenium Dome. Nuff said.

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
I may feel the wrath of the ban hammer for this, but does she meet her end crashing her chariot on a visit to the Gaulish homelands?

Also the Merlin thing has the Mechanic from Two PInts of Lager and a PAcket of crisps as a night. Everytime they try to bring Merlin into anything they drop the ball on a massive scale, the only decent version was in Excaliber which is utter utter Drek.

Anyway Doctor who is great, maybe there should be an episode in the new series when the time lord returns to the early nineties and prevents a stuffed shirt from destroying one of the BBCS major revenue streams! It could be argued that given the current marketing and subsidiary income acrued by the good doctor the BBC could have done away with the license fee and perhaps shown more that three programmes a week on BBC three. They may also have been able to get some decent actors in Spooks Code Nine and perhaps a writer who doesnt think interesting plot twists are something that happens to other people.

Feb 13, 2008
electric discordian post=18.71181.721047 said:
I may feel the wrath of the ban hammer for this, but does she meet her end crashing her chariot on a visit to the Gaulish homelands?
No but take a quick lookie : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana:_Warrior_Princess
Also the Merlin thing has the Mechanic from Two PInts of Lager and a PAcket of crisps as a night. Everytime they try to bring Merlin into anything they drop the ball on a massive scale, the only decent version was in Excaliber which is utter utter Drek.
Watch Bonekickers for a show that makes Merlin look accurate and serious.
Anyway Doctor who is great, maybe there should be an episode in the new series when the time lord returns to the early nineties and prevents a stuffed shirt from destroying one of the BBCS major revenue streams! It could be argued that given the current marketing and subsidiary income acrued by the good doctor the BBC could have done away with the license fee and perhaps shown more that three programmes a week on BBC three. They may also have been able to get some decent actors in Spooks Code Nine and perhaps a writer who doesnt think interesting plot twists are something that happens to other people.
Heheheeheh...I think there's one of the cartoon stories in the Doctor Who Annual where they go back to the BBC in the 80's and get attacked by the cast of Grange Hill and Are you Being Served? before Doctor #4 meets up with Tom Baker.

Stephen Fry for the Doctor
hrrrrrrmmm...I don't know why but no. He's just not 'Doctor-ish' enough. He'd make a fantastic Castellan or even the Master, but I can't see him as the Doctor.

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
I think he would be awesome, with Ross Kemp as his side kick! and Hugh Laurie as the Master....

I watched bonekickers it taught me everything I know about history. Everything happened in Bristol.....

And I shall look at the Diana item.

Also Stephen Fry hugely intellectual quintesentially English, vaguely supercilious he seems to be moving in an entirely different sphere now, perhaps he is a timelord.

Why Ross Kemp because for my sins I loved Ultimate Farce and I could see him as a UNIT special forces Op in the previously named scenario.