Doctor Who: Let?s Kill Craig

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Roganzar said:
Good article Susan. I like Craig, then again I can relate to his character, sad as that may sound. I've watched the cybermen through all their incarnations and the "emotional inhibitor" thing was a better choice than gold, as mentioned above. This wasn't their best effort by a long shot and the possibility that Craig might have been "upgraded" had real emotional impact for me while I was watching.

Mixed feeling about the second half of this season. My biggest desire for the new shows is to try to get back to the roots and have some more TARDIS lands some place 'cuz the Doctor is needed, not some over arcing save-the-universe plot.
My point exactly! I'm really quite fond of Craig, and seeing him get welded into that helmet hit me very hard...and then poof, suddenly all was well, hoorah! It was lame storytelling, plain and simple. The potential for a very emotional moment was there, and they squandered it.

I kind of liked the gold thing, but I don't think it would work in New Who, which spends so much time on Earth. Out in the 'verse, gold isn't all that commonplace, but are you really going to be afraid of the Cybermen when a quick trip to the pawn shop gets you all the ammo you need?

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Formica Archonis said:
Dude. Cushing movies. Dude. Slightly more canon than Nation's Yarvelling-Dalek comics and I'm Gonna Spend My Christmas with a Dalek.
True, you are quite correct. Although are you really telling me that the new coloured Daleks are worse than stuff like this? I never laughed so much at a Who episode than when I was watching this come on screen.

Cap'n Ninja

Magnificent Malefactor
Jan 16, 2011
I can see where you're coming from, but I still liked the episode, and the same with The Lodger, and I think it's reasonable that Craig survived when he did. To start, Craig wasn't just being converted, he was being converted into the cybercontroller, which is why he actually could overload them with emotion - they were to obey his every command, and when the internal surge came, they couldn't cope and they overloaded. A little cheesy, yes, but believable. Also, if you want to be technical about it, Craig did it by some means the Doctor was trying to explain, but was too complicated for his simple human mind to grasp, and so he gave up trying to explain and instead just said "Yes, love" because that was easier than trying to explain nuclear physics to a sloth.

I think Craig dying would have been an interesting thing, but would have been lost on the vast majority of the audience, keeping in mind that it is a family show, so the nuances of poor Craig dying would have been a bit bleak for the eight-year-olds in the viewership. What would have been interesting however, would have been if Craig had been converted in all but mind, keeping his human mind in a cybercontroller body, with some deus ex machina getting rid of all those pesky cybermen. Having to care for your child without ever being able to hug it without electrocuting it or crushing it to death would be interesting.

Hyperme

May 19, 2011
I'd rather have a forgettable episode than Eleven turing into the same kind of whiny 'i couldn't saves the dalaks'* emo Ten became near his death. The reason I prefer Eleven to Ten is because Eleven doesn't angst about his situation. It's not a crime to have a happy ending once in a while. Espicially after the God Complex, where Eleven dumped Amy and Rory after lots of people died.

Also, if Craig had died, I'm sure you'd be complaining about it because it would be 'shoehorned it to add emotional impact' or something.

*Not a real quote.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Nerd powers! Activate!

They weren't just turning him into a garden variety cyberman, they were trying to turn him into a cyber-controller, sort of a cross between an officer and a wireless router. Cyber-controllers need a living brain (unlike normal cybermen, who can function even after what remains of their former bodies have rotted away). For reasons that are beyond me if Cybermen feel emotions their heads blow up, and since the controller has a direct link to all subordinate cybermen...

Though I will agree the "Craig" character should have died. He committed the unforgivable crime of being James Cordon! Though I wouldn't expect anyone who hasn't been subjected to this... individual's... antics to understand =\

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Oh, now, I wouldn't put him in Wesley Crusher territory. That's more Turlough, don't you think?
Let's see.... Over-intellectual kid or school'boy' with a habit of getting tied up.... Decisions, decisions....

TimeLord said:
Formica Archonis said:
Dude. Cushing movies. Dude. Slightly more canon than Nation's Yarvelling-Dalek comics and I'm Gonna Spend My Christmas with a Dalek.
True, you are quite correct. Although are you really telling me that the new coloured Daleks are worse than stuff like this? I never laughed so much at a Who episode than when I was watching this come on screen.

Okay, you got me there. Air freshener Dalek was incredibly stupid as well. (Also a Terry Nation idea but they can't all be gems.)

Apr 17, 2009
I disagree, personally. This is the episode before the Doctor goes to his death, and he has to do it willingly. In a sense its supposed to be the Doctor's last hurrah. Its a feel-good doofy episode because the Doctor wants to feel good. Helping out one last time because, well, its what he does. To have another death, another broken family right before he goes to Lake Silencio wouldn't have made sense.

Doesn't mean I don't think it couldn't have been done better though. I know they tried to explain it away with technobabble, but saving things with the power of love in sci-fi has always rankled with me. And we had the 'father-saving-son-by-manning-up' thing a few episodes ago in Night terrors, this was a bit repetitive

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
My point exactly! I'm really quite fond of Craig, and seeing him get welded into that helmet hit me very hard...and then poof, suddenly all was well, hoorah! It was lame storytelling, plain and simple. The potential for a very emotional moment was there, and they squandered it.
No, they just went for a different emotion in that moment. Instead of sadness, they went with joy and love which, in a kids program, is much better resolution. Maybe its because I'm still a kid at hart, or maye its due to me havng serious daddy issues, but I would have been pissed if they had killed him.

Vuirneen

Nov 16, 2009
In the first next gen Cyberman episode, conversion was accompanied with saws, whirring and screams; there's no way that could be undone. The version in this episode was to stick a man in an armoured suit.

I liked "The Lodger", there were a lot of good elements in "Closing Time", but I think the writer ran into a deadline, couldn't figure out a way to save the Doctor, and had to use Craig.

It's possible that they wanted Craig to save the Doctor, to kick him up the arse and remind him why he travels with people - it's not just the company. Also, as a counterpoint to Amelia's loss of faith it the Doctor, it'd be nice if the Doctor regained some faith in himself.

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
I don't like James Cordan but I still think it worked well that he didn't die.
It's also a rule of this sort of thing that if a child is introduced and the other parent is absent that they will survive. It's like a law or something.
There are definitely exceptions but not for a family show like Doctor Who(or at least none come to mind).

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Hyperme said:
I'd rather have a forgettable episode than Eleven turing into the same kind of whiny 'i couldn't saves the dalaks'* emo Ten became near his death. The reason I prefer Eleven to Ten is because Eleven doesn't angst about his situation. It's not a crime to have a happy ending once in a while. Espicially after the God Complex, where Eleven dumped Amy and Rory after lots of people died.

Also, if Craig had died, I'm sure you'd be complaining about it because it would be 'shoehorned it to add emotional impact' or something.

*Not a real quote.
But this is the internet where depression and angst must reign supreme and happiness and love are seen as lowbrow, cheesy and unrealistic. Now wipe that smile off your face and look deessed before the internet police catch you.

R3dF41c0n

Feb 11, 2009
I agree that ending was very silly. I think Craig's death would have been very fitting, just like in "Earthshock".

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Doesn't mean I don't think it couldn't have been done better though. I know they tried to explain it away with technobabble, but saving things with the power of love in sci-fi has always rankled with me. And we had the 'father-saving-son-by-manning-up' thing a few episodes ago in Night terrors, this was a bit repetitive
Oh, excellent point about the Night Terrors. But that episode was a mishmash itself of a bunch of other episodes. The wooden dollies just felt like a rehash of the robots from The Girl in the Fireplace to me, at least visually.

Also, to those pointing out that Craig was being made into a Cyber-controller - that's a good clarification. So the issue then becomes not that love saving the day is stupid, but that we got Cybermen so bloody dumb that they thought Craig should be in charge. Not much better that way, really.

And, yeah, I do recognize the problems inherent in doing something so grim on what is still, by and large, considered a "family" show. But it's gone to dark places before, and been the stronger for it.

Hyperme said:

*Not a real quote.
Really? You're sure I'd be complaining about it? Based on what, exactly? Or does that 'you' not actually refer to me, and more a generic 'you'?

PerfectEnemy

Aug 7, 2011
You're right, it would have made sense to kill Craig to demonstrate the "the Doctor is not always a savoir" story of the current series, but it would have darkened an episode that was obviously intended for nothing more than light laughs.

Also, to be fair, this idea of emotion saving people has gotten ridiculous. I mean, in "Victory of the Daleks" Amy and the Doctor manage to disarm the bomb inside Bracewell simply by making him think he's human. Which he was not.

It's frustrating and a little insulting, but necessary if we want the show to remain as lighthearted and fun as it is.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
TimeLord said:
It would have been better for Craig to die. But would it have fitted the Doctor's faith in humanity that their emotions, determination, imagination and need to explore the universe make them in some way better than him?

They already played with the theme of "the Doctor destroys lives" by sending Amy and Rory home, and even in the beginning of this episode by trying to get him to leave him so Craig didn't get himself hurt. The ending could have worked both ways. Kill Craig to reinforce that the Doctor is dangerous, or save Craig to show that the Doctor can save everyone if given the chance. I believe the episode made the right choice. They just went about it the wrong way.

EDIT: By the by, congrads on starting this column!
Except the Doctor didn't save Craig. He had nothing to do with Craig's salvation - it happened largely by accident.
I interpreted this episode of the manifestation of the recent relationship between the doctor had with his companions and reintroducing what it use to be. While the doctor would like to save everyone he can't. He feels its entirely his responsibility to take care of his companions and shares none of that responsibility with the companions themselves (not recently anyway). Amy and Rory were largely what I would call babysitting companions. They caused many more problems than they helped solve, and those they helped solve were usually of their own making. Sometimes its up to the companions to save themselves and independently solve problems rather than relying on the doctor to do all the heavy lifting. I think that is something this episode reintroduced.

Of course I may be biased, but to me it seems like Rory and Amy need a lot more saving than any of the prior companions ever did.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
And there I was, getting all emotionally wrecked about them killing Craig off (yeah, he's kind of a doofus, but he's a likable fellow all the same), and then they save him in a contrived and silly manner. Now all I'm left thinking is, "well this is kind of stupid." Not the way you want your audience to react. It would be like in Titanic (sorry, first movie to pop into my head about this subject - also spoilers), where Jack's dying at the end, only instead of sinking to his death, he pop's back up and says "JK! The water's actually quite pleasant." It ruins any emotional connection you had going on.

Also, love that you're doing a Doctor Who column, Susan, though you're a little late for this season. Not that there's anything wrong with looking at older episodes.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Navvan said:
Susan Arendt said:
TimeLord said:
It would have been better for Craig to die. But would it have fitted the Doctor's faith in humanity that their emotions, determination, imagination and need to explore the universe make them in some way better than him?

They already played with the theme of "the Doctor destroys lives" by sending Amy and Rory home, and even in the beginning of this episode by trying to get him to leave him so Craig didn't get himself hurt. The ending could have worked both ways. Kill Craig to reinforce that the Doctor is dangerous, or save Craig to show that the Doctor can save everyone if given the chance. I believe the episode made the right choice. They just went about it the wrong way.

Except the Doctor didn't save Craig. He had nothing to do with Craig's salvation - it happened largely by accident.
I interpreted this episode of the manifestation of the recent relationship between the doctor had with his companions and reintroducing what it use to be. While the doctor would like to save everyone he can't. He feels its entirely his responsibility to take care of his companions and shares none of that responsibility with the companions themselves (not recently anyway). Amy and Rory were largely what I would call babysitting companions. They caused many more problems than they helped solve, and those they helped solve were usually of their own making. Sometimes its up to the companions to save themselves and independently solve problems rather than relying on the doctor to do all the heavy lifting. I think that is something this episode reintroduced.

Of course I may be biased, but to me it seems like Rory and Amy need a lot more saving than any of the prior companions ever did.
Oh, lawd, go back and watch some classic Who if you want to see some helpless (and/or useless) companions. Mel, in particular.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
they should have killed off the baby just think about it! the doctor would be devestated for the failure to protect an inocent child since he speaks baby the babys last words can be something meaningfull that we wont understand that will give the big twist to the finalle...

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Can somebody please explain to me the point of TV show reviews? You can't use them to tell if you should watch an episode because they usually have spoilers. And TV shows don't cost you anything, so worst case scenario it's an hour of your life down the drain. So it's basically, "Here's how good that thing you already saw is." This isn't a personal attack on Susan Arendt, whose work I respect, but I just don't get it.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Navvan said:
Susan Arendt said:
TimeLord said:

Oh, lawd, go back and watch some classic Who if you want to see some helpless (and/or useless) companions. Mel, in particular.
I definitely do need to watch the older episodes. I've only been watching Dr. Who for about 4 months now (caught up with everyone since the revival). From my perspective though they seem relatively helpless compared to the other major companions. Still I was happy to see the companion finally save the day again. Even if it was extremely cheesy. I must be forgetting some point where Amy and Rory save the day, I'm sure there has been one. I just can't think of it. The closest I can think of is the previous season's finale.