Doctor Who - Peter Capaldi - Weird

Ezekiel T Bluff

Sep 27, 2011
I just noticed something:
Isnt't it weird that Peter Capaldi (the next Doctor) is credited on imdb page for World War Z as:
W.H.O. Doctor?

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
As soon as I read this thread I knew there would be a thing on Tumblr about it: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/w.h.o-doctor

But anyway, that's pretty cool.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Ezekiel T Bluff said:
Isnt't it weird that Peter Capaldi (the next Doctor) is credited on imdb page for World War Z as:
W.H.O. Doctor?
Well, if he played as a doctor in a movie about a global pandemic, there are basically only two well known organizations he'd work for: The Center for Disease Control or the World Health Organization. And since he's english, it wouldn't make sense to cast him as a CDC Doctor.

Coincidence? Definitely. Awesome coincidence though.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eclectic Dreck said:
Ezekiel T Bluff said:
W.H.O. Doctor?
Well, if he played as a doctor in a movie about a global pandemic, there are basically only two well known organizations he'd work for: The Center for Disease Control or the World Health Organization. And since he's english, it wouldn't make sense to cast him as a CDC Doctor.

Why would it have to be a well-known one, though? Couldn't they say he's from a particular countries Important Sounding Organisation?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
wombat_of_war said:
thaluikhain said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
Ezekiel T Bluff said:
W.H.O. Doctor?

Why would it have to be a well-known one, though? Couldn't they say he's from a particular countries Important Sounding Organisation?
there is also USAMRIID. United States Army Medical Research Institute for infectious diseases.. ill go back to my geeky dark corner now
I always find it amusing how little USAMRIID is represented in Zombie outbreak media, considering how active they are in the disease prevention community (Though not at the individual level like the CDC is), and how one of their primary jobs is basically 'How do we keep an Armed Force fighting is a seriously contaminated area). You know, Zombie movie type situations.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
Ezekiel T Bluff said:
W.H.O. Doctor?

Because the movie is about a global pandemic and thus any doctor seeking to aid in efforts to combat it would work for an organization capable of operating at a global scale. In this capacity, there are basically the two organizations I mentioned. There are plenty of local equivalents and even other organizations that could conceivably operate at a huge scale but they wouldn't immediately come to mind.

Basically, that leaves you with three options. The British equivalent of the CDC (an organization no one outside of the UK will likely recognize and thus the association is meaningless), the CDC (and given the actor is english, why throw him into an American organization) or the WHO (which is multinational). That leaves you with the final why of it all and it boils down to the fact that the source material was written as a history of the zombie almost-apocalypse and an effort was made to make the work "realistic" and to that end you have actual organizations like the WHO and CDC mentioned by name.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
wombat_of_war said:
thaluikhain said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
Ezekiel T Bluff said:
W.H.O. Doctor?

there is also USAMRIID.United States Army Medical Research Institute for infectious diseases.. ill go back to my geeky dark corner now
USAMRIID does not have the resources to actually do anything about a problem on the scale of a global pandemic. Their efforts are largely based around the military uses of disease. The CDC by contrast is concerned with disease in general including efforts to combat various outbreaks and pandemics.

Moreover, and this seems important, why would you cast an actor from the UK in a role as an American. Sure, it can and indeed does happen that people immigrate and get into those sorts of jobs but this is relatively unimportant. You'd use someone who at least can present a very decent American accent for such a job. I've never seen Capaldi attempt such a thing as I've only seen him in two things that I recall - World War Z and that one episode of Doctor Who.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
I like to think it's less about coincidence and more an unintentional crossover.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Eclectic Dreck said:
Ezekiel T Bluff said:
W.H.O. Doctor?

I just need to correct you there. Peter Capaldi is not English. You said that in a couple of posts.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Ezekiel T Bluff said:
W.H.O. Doctor?
Actually he was credited as a W.H.O Doctor because he worked at the W.H.O, World Health Organization. About 3-4 other actors shared this same role and none of them ever gave their names, so they couldn't identifiably credit them as this. Honestly, I call coincidence on this

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eclectic Dreck said:
Basically, that leaves you with three options. The British equivalent of the CDC (an organization no one outside of the UK will likely recognize and thus the association is meaningless), the CDC (and given the actor is english, why throw him into an American organization) or the WHO (which is multinational). That leaves you with the final why of it all and it boils down to the fact that the source material was written as a history of the zombie almost-apocalypse and an effort was made to make the work "realistic" and to that end you have actual organizations like the WHO and CDC mentioned by name.
But, wouldn't people recognise that Britain has a medical organisation, so you'd just have to say, "From the British XYZ Foundation or something"?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Tallim said:
I just need to correct you there. Peter Capaldi is not English. You said that in a couple of posts.
...and that brings up something I am very curious about, will the Doctor be a Scot, or will they Tennant him? It would be terrific if the Doctor came from Glasgow, but that would place him dangerously close to Malcom Tucker. Capaldi's English accent is a damn sight better than Tennant's terrible cockney, I could live with that.

Edit: Just read an article stating that Capaldi is using his native accent, lots of planets have a North, only one has a Glasgow.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
wombat_of_war said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
wombat_of_war said:
thaluikhain said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
Ezekiel T Bluff said:
W.H.O. Doctor?

there is also USAMRIID.United States Army Medical Research Institute for infectious diseases.. ill go back to my geeky dark corner now
USAMRIID does not have the resources to actually do anything about a problem on the scale of a global pandemic. Their efforts are largely based around the military uses of disease. The CDC by contrast is concerned with disease in general including efforts to combat various outbreaks and pandemics.

Moreover, and this seems important, why would you cast an actor from the UK in a role as an American. Sure, it can and indeed does happen that people immigrate and get into those sorts of jobs but this is relatively unimportant. You'd use someone who at least can present a very decent American accent for such a job. I've never seen Capaldi attempt such a thing as I've only seen him in two things that I recall - World War Z and that one episode of Doctor Who.
not globally but they would be the first boots on the ground usually at any major huge viral outbreak of this sort of lethality and you can be certain in the advent of a global pandemic their teams would be at ground zero is they could get in
I'm assuming you read 'The Hot Zone.'

USAMRIID would not be the first response team, typically, globally or locally. The Reston incident was an oddity.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
wombat_of_war said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
wombat_of_war said:
thaluikhain said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
Ezekiel T Bluff said:
W.H.O. Doctor?

not globally but they would be the first boots on the ground usually at any major huge viral outbreak of this sort of lethality and you can be certain in the advent of a global pandemic their teams would be at ground zero is they could get in
Not even remotely first boots on the ground I'd think. Given their military association, they'd be the last people invited internationally and because of constitutional law, it would be difficult to get them to work in any direct capacity domestically.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Tallim said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
Ezekiel T Bluff said:
W.H.O. Doctor?

You are indeed correct - he's Scottish. I just assumed he was english based on what I've seen of him but, then, I also thought Tennant was English until I saw him on Top Gear.