Doctor Who Review: This Is Almost Too Silly

Nosforontu

Jan 7, 2010
I have to say that this episode more so than any other that I can recall watching really felt like someones crossover fanfiction story that somehow got televised. Additionally it felt as if the Doctor in the episode was Superfluos to the story, and the success or failure of the Protagonist/Antagonist of the story (Robin Hood/Sherrif).

faeshadow

Feb 4, 2008
People really need to stop thinking that Doctor Who needs to be a dark, serious show all the damned time. The great thing about the show is that it can be serious and dark, and it can also be goofy as all hell. That's the joy of it. It can be both thought provoking AND silly. Often at the same time. Not everything has to be grimdark.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Pallindromemordnillap said:
The ending really annoyed me (how does just shooting the arrow somewhere in the side of the ship give it a boost? Seriously just...how?) but overall I liked it. I tend to have a bit of a soft spot for stuff that's silly and knows its silly and doesn't try to be anything else. Also, decent twist with Robin being the genuine article, didn't see that coming
It was a reference to a British game show that ran from the mid 60s to the mid seventies called the golden shot. There was plenty references and quotes from other things smuggled into that episode. There was this "sceptred isle" from Shakespeare's Richard II and "who will rid me of this turbulent doctor " is refinance to what Henry II said that led to Archbishop Thomas Becket's murder. The falling death of the sheriff shot was the same shot that Alan Rickman died in Die Hard and later Alan Rickman played the sheriff of Nottingham.

SerBrittanicus said:
I also like History and also live in the Nottingham area, but if you are watching a Who episode for historical accuracy you are watching the wrong program - especially so if it is about Robin Hood who may not even have existed in the first place. Having said that the castle they showed looked awful even compared to actual Nottingham castle which isn't great to begin with.
I think the castle was Bodiam Castle in Sussex. Its been suggested that Bodiam Castle wasn't actually built as castle but more for show than practicality.

faeshadow said:
People really need to stop thinking that Doctor Who needs to be a dark, serious show all the damned time. The great thing about the show is that it can be serious and dark, and it can also be goofy as all hell. That's the joy of it. It can be both thought provoking AND silly. Often at the same time. Not everything has to be grimdark.
Give that man a jelly baby. To me the episode felt like a Tom Baker story from the golden age of Who. The spoon fight was the classic Dr's contempt for weapons put in silly way that Tom BAker would have dealt with it.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Wasn't a big fan of it, there were some obvious 11th Doctor moments in it that I didn't really like :"I am the Doctor, and this is my spoon!", although there were some nice sassy moments that I am starting to like Capaldi for, but I didn't really rate the episode overall, although I guess that is because I have never really been a fan of stories in the past, but still. One thing that was curious was that they completely forgot about the Missy character that they have been trying to build up. Sure, there was the whole "Promised Land" thing, but I was expecting Nottingham to be teleported to heaven or something, but nothing happened. Ah well.

I am looking forward to the next episode. It gave me a "Dont Blink" vibe, and I am excited to see if this holds up as one of the best Doctor Who episodes, or if I am just grasping at straws to justify me still watching the show.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
faeshadow said:
I completely agree with that. Of course the truly masterful episodes are both silly and dark. I'm hoping they give this new doctor some decent episodes soon because these are still clearly not on par yet. I want something that lives up to 'Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead' or 'Vincent and the Doctor' to pick a couple.