Doctor Who Season 7: Episode 1 - Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
runic knight said:
Froggy Slayer said:
Flamezdudes said:
Because you want to, you know you do. Sexy, sexy Dalek's with their plummer... things.
WHAT DO DALEKS FIND SEXY
HOW DO DALEKS DO FOREPLAY
DO DALEKS EVEN HAVE GENDERS
WE WILL PROCREATE!
THE INTERCOURSE SHALL PROCEED. TROJAN-CLASS PROTECTION ENABLED. THRUSTERS ACTIVATED. PROCREATE. PROCREATE.

[sub]Oh god, I'm cracking up[/sub]

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Ldude893 said:
runic knight said:
Froggy Slayer said:
Flamezdudes said:
Because you want to, you know you do. Sexy, sexy Dalek's with their plummer... things.
WHAT DO DALEKS FIND SEXY
HOW DO DALEKS DO FOREPLAY
DO DALEKS EVEN HAVE GENDERS
WE WILL PROCREATE!
THE INTERCOURSE SHALL PROCEED. TROJAN-CLASS PROTECTION ACTIVATED. PROCREATE. PROCREATE.

This is the first post I saw upon clicking this thread.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Ldude893 said:
THE INTERCOURSE SHALL PROCEED. TROJAN-CLASS PROTECTION ENABLED. THRUSTERS ACTIVATED. PROCREATE. PROCREATE.

How the hell do you intend to procreate if you're using protection?

Maeta said:
Froggy Slayer said:
I don't think that Moffat writes Daleks well enough.
Well, he does hate them due to their overuse. RTD did what they did with Monkey Island continuation far too much and made it too much of a fan service. Moffat wants to evolve things. If everything is just Daleks again, what's the point? He's always tried to create new monsters, though I fear his Weeping Angels may be going down the overused road again.
I don't mind him using them sparingly, but he could at least write them well. Or have used that Special Weapons Dalek prop he had...

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
All I can say about that episode is the daleks seem to be very democratic now with a parliament and all that.. and two, they have the worst plans to kill the doctor ever, they could just have exterminated him on the ship but no he must go down to the planet and deactivate a useless shield so we can blow him up at long range.

Honestly if the shield can stop missiles why didn't it stop a crashing space ship..

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Maeta said:
Froggy Slayer said:
Well, he does hate them due to their overuse. RTD did what they did with Monkey Island continuation far too much and made it too much of a fan service. Moffat wants to evolve things. If everything is just Daleks again, what's the point? He's always tried to create new monsters, though I fear his Weeping Angels may be going down the overused road again.
The thing that annoyed me about the weeping angels is that he introduced the whole "An image of an angel becomes an angel" BS in order to make them more scary. It didn't work.

OT: I liked the episode, but I'm just a casual watcher of Dr. Who, so i don't get all the rages based on past/old episodes. I liked Oswin, and the twist caught me off guard. The whole Powa of love thing was tacky, but to be expected by now. I do find it strange the doctor dropped them off, only to pick them up in the next episode.

It's the little things that made this episode for me though- "I can see you.", the bitchiness of Amy/Rory in the divorce scene, and how frightening the dalek humans were, I thinks its the cracking noise their necks made when they "turned"

Fredrikorex

Sep 25, 2009
johncarter27 said:
quoted malicious link removed. stop quoting spammers; report and move on
Seems legit...

OT: I think the episode was alright, not good but good enough for my standards.
I just don't like that the Daleks have to forget the Doctor but if they want to change the show like that I'm not gonna stop them.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
rosac said:
Maeta said:
Froggy Slayer said:
The thing that annoyed me about the weeping angels is that he introduced the whole "An image of an angel becomes an angel" BS in order to make them more scary. It didn't work.

OT: I liked the episode, but I'm just a casual watcher of Dr. Who, so i don't get all the rages based on past/old episodes. I liked Oswin, and the twist caught me off guard. The whole Powa of love thing was tacky, but to be expected by now. I do find it strange the doctor dropped them off, only to pick them up in the next episode.

It's the little things that made this episode for me though- "I can see you.", the bitchiness of Amy/Rory in the divorce scene, and how frightening the dalek humans were, I thinks its the cracking noise their necks made when they "turned"
Did you know that Asylum Of The Daleks was Moffat's attempt to make them scary again...... yeah.

You know what would make Daleks scary? If they would stop asking questions, stop making elaborate plots and just scorched earth everywhere they came into contact with.

I still find it confusing that once the Daleks forgot who he was that none of them queried just what the hell the TARDIS was doing on their ship just sitting there.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
It's one of those episodes which is enjoyable as long as you keep your brain shut off and don't think about anything in it much. Visually, I thought it was quite nice too. The erratic and crumbling zombie daleks were creepier than usual ones. I thought the eye-stalk emerging from human heads thing looked a bit silly though.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I was okay with it. It didn't totally blow my socks off, but I didn't feel totally betrayed either.

What I didn't like:

- The new imagery in the opening title sequence. Ugh, it looks like they took the old one and put it through Instagram. And the new font for the actor's names is alright, but the new font for Doctor Who is terrible.
- I feel like putting Amy and Rory on the brink of divorce was way too melodramatic, especially since it was resolved in the same episode, and since it was simply to reveal that Amy can't have kids (which is odd since Rory seemed to know anyway). Having them feuding would have been alright, but having them at the point where they're ready to sign the divorce papers seems like a bit much to me.

What I did like:

- I love Oswin and I'm glad she's got some space experience on her belt already. As long as she and the episodes are written correctly, it should lead to some fun upstaging of the Doctor and some fun "Anything you can do I can do better" moments. I think it would have been neat to switch to a male or alien companion, but starting out with a human from the future and not from Earth is still a pretty significant change from all the previous companions.
- Forgiving the Amy and Rory situation, I think the concept for this episode was very good, and I'm excited to see what comes of the Daleks having no recollection of the Doctor (though to me it seems like he still gave them a lot to be afraid of there at the end).

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Well I've never been a big Doctor Who fan, and I didn't watch any of the last season, so I'll just say I enjoyed it.

I thought that Indian girl Oswyn was supposed to be the new companion though? :s

Amnesiac Pigeon

Jul 14, 2010
Doctor Who has never held up to this kind of scrutiny.

Its always been silly fun with some nice ideas.

Curious why everyone is so down on this. I enjoyed this episode more than I enjoyed any episode of last season. Totally did not see Oswyn as a Dalek coming.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
I thought it was a good episode, but bits of it were forced and I definitely think that they shouldn't have had dakels forget the doctor.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Wolverine18 said:
In answer to both of these: Why didn't Frodo just use the Eagles to get the Mount Doom?

Its a story, every story is allowed its plot holes if it helps tell a better tale. If the first time we heard Olswin the Doctor just went

"Why is a Darlek talking to us?"

Then it wouldn't be that good of a show now would it.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Ooh! Another plot hole! Why the fuck would the Daleks put all their crazy, uncontrollable Daleks in a big, planet-sized room, and then LOCK IT FROM THE INSIDE?!

I mean, look who ended up finally lowering the damn shield: A fucking insane Dalek! EXACTLY the kind of thing they didn't want escaping!