Doctor Who Series 6.13: "The Wedding of River Song' [SPOILERS] + Series wrap up

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
TimeLord said:
Flamezdudes said:
Wait a second, if River refusing the kill the Doctor fucked up time, wouldn't the Doctor being in the teselecta and surviving fuck with it aswell?
No, because the Doctor always survived. He survived in episode 1 in the same way he survived in episode 13. We just didn't know how then, but we do now. Everything that "happened" before he travelled to Utah in episode 13 still happened in his timeline in episode 1, we just didn't know it.
So it had to happen that way for him to survive, so because River chose not to... time went bonkers?

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
I am not happy right now. A guy from the UK who friended me on Facebook, out of the blue with neither of us ever having communicated, wrote on the DW Facebook page revealing the twist. He told me to simply not check the Facebook page if I didn't want spoilers, apparently forgetting that whatever he does will appear on all of his friends news streams.

Can't wait to actually see it though.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Flamezdudes said:
TimeLord said:
Flamezdudes said:
Wait a second, if River refusing the kill the Doctor fucked up time, wouldn't the Doctor being in the teselecta and surviving fuck with it aswell?
No, because the Doctor always survived. He survived in episode 1 in the same way he survived in episode 13. We just didn't know how then, but we do now. Everything that "happened" before he travelled to Utah in episode 13 still happened in his timeline in episode 1, we just didn't know it.
So it had to happen that way for him to survive, so because River chose not to... time went bonkers?
Exactly. You can take River refusing and the alternate universe out of the entire equation because the Doctor tried to force River to let him "die" once he saw her in the pyramid because he knew he'd survive in the Teselecta before it happened.

DrTobiasWho

Oct 1, 2011
Don't you guys get it?

The Dr never died... he knew everyone thought he died. I had to sign up to explain that simple point to you lot.

Metzeten

Oct 16, 2009
DrTobiasWho said:
Don't you guys get it?

The Dr never died... he knew everyone thought he died. I had to sign up to explain that simple point to you lot.
Exactly this. Records show the doctor died at lake silencio at that time on that date, we saw it twice, dramatic Irony means we know he didn't, spoilers mean River, Amy and Rory know he didn't. Whoever wrote the records believe he did, and the whole "fixed point in time" thing just means he has to appear to die.

The fact that mr blue-head-box still knew of the reference where the question had to be asked indicates that what was meant to happen, is the doctor APPEARS to die, not actually die. APPEARANCE was the fixed point, not actual death.

Indeterminacy

Feb 13, 2011
Flamezdudes said:
Wait a second, if River refusing to kill the Doctor fucked up time, wouldn't the Doctor being in the teselecta and surviving fuck with it aswell?
Metzeten said:
DrTobiasWho said:
Don't you guys get it?

Exactly this. Records show the doctor died at lake silencio at that time on that date, we saw it twice, dramatic Irony means we know he didn't, spoilers mean River, Amy and Rory know he didn't. Whoever wrote the records believe he did, and the whole "fixed point in time" thing just means he has to appear to die.

The fact that mr blue-head-box still knew of the reference where the question had to be asked indicates that what was meant to happen, is the doctor APPEARS to die, not actually die. APPEARANCE was the fixed point, not actual death.
Then What the Hell caused the Time Paradox?

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Christ this was good. Moffat's run has been an improvement overall, but this was the first genuinely, no-qualifiers good season finale Doctor Who has had since it came back in 2005. I've never been so glad to be rid of Russel T. Davies...from "the usual suspects are trying to blow everything up" to "Holy Roman Emperor Winston Churchhill".

Also, considering how the Tesselecta being the get-out clause was fairly predictable at the start, I have to admire how deftly the episode managed to draw your attention away from that and make you forget about it in time for the reveal. Sneaky.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Indeterminacy said:
Flamezdudes said:
Wait a second, if River refusing to kill the Doctor fucked up time, wouldn't the Doctor being in the teselecta and surviving fuck with it aswell?
Metzeten said:
DrTobiasWho said:
Don't you guys get it?

River forcing a fixed point to change.

DrTobiasWho

Oct 1, 2011
River refusing to kill the faux-dr. That caused the paradox because that was the fixed point in time. Anything could have happened in it and it would have been a fixed point.

Indeterminacy

Feb 13, 2011
TimeLord said:
Indeterminacy said:
Flamezdudes said:
Metzeten said:
DrTobiasWho said:
Don't you guys get it?

River forcing a fixed point to change.
Ahhh... so since she refused to go along with the appearance shooting him at all (even shooting the Teselecta)... Got it. Thanks for clearing that up!

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Indeterminacy said:
Flamezdudes said:
Metzeten said:
DrTobiasWho said:
Don't you guys get it?

A fixed point in time was still changed, which is what caused the paradox. It's just that the "fixed point" in question was not the Doctor's death, just the appearance of the Doctor's death. Once River knew that, she could let it proceed as planned.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Ah well.

Metzeten

Oct 16, 2009
River not shooting robo-doc to pseudo-death.
The appearance of death was the fixed point remember?

Edit: Many many ninja's in this room today. I found 4 of them

Riesel87

May 2, 2011
What an awful end to a truely awful series of Dr Who. Only the james cordon episode was really good, spoiled by Amy Pond's cameo. This series has been full of continuity errors, more retcons than you can count and the truely tiresom plot of Amy pond and river song. River song has been the most over used and underwhelming character to hit dr who. Poorly devised retcons to turn her into a central character, which just wouldnt end.

Theres no subtlety to the writing, it was too obvious she was the Dr's wife from her first encounter, but they tried to make out that was not the case. It takes thme 3 series to tell you, actually yeh you were correct. Thats all without admitting shes a pretty wooden actress that has zero chemistry with the dr, past or present. Amy pond is the worst thing to happen to TV. The sooner she is off our screens the better. Her entire character makes no sense, we are ment to accept she is some sort of martial arts science genius with timelord capabilites aparently. She can build you a sonic screw driver from scraps simply because she has seen one. Or she go be a swashbuckling sword fighting pirate when she wants, all the while without taking a moment to pause and be suprised by anything along the way. She has no wonder about anything the Dr shows her, an awful personality and just an assault on the senses!

Matt Smith is a truely fantastic Dr, but he doesnt get the screen time. Its the Amy, Rorey and River show. The best Episodes of the 11th dr have been when smith is on his own and aloud to shine.

They need to stop making an overall theme so obvious. In the tennant days, the seemingly random episodes had a loose link in some way to the final episode, it was subtle and you thought oh that was clever how they all linked. Now its all about the build up to the finale, it is literally thrown in your face from minute 1 of episode 1.

P.S Dr Who writters, please stop doing the Dr is going to die story lines, we all know it is an empty threat as you cannot kill off the Dr from Dr Who, or you would have no show. Therefor where is the suspense and drama when we as an audience know he is never going to die. once in a while it's nice to see him cheat death with genius, but its so often he is in some sort of mortal danger. Try putting a dispensable character that we care about in danger, as at least we wont know if they will survive or not.

Rant over

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Rawne1980 said:
TimeLord said:
But in series 4, just before River dies, Tennant's Doctor says;

"River, you know my name. You whispered my name in my ear. There's only one reason I would ever tell anyone my name. There's only one time I could?"
Continuity my friend.

In one episode it also shows River as Cleopatra but in that one she states she had a stand off with Cleopatra .... it all hurts the mind.

One minute she knows his name the next he didn't tell her.

They don't seem to have any form of continuity it all changes after a few episodes.

TheGhostOfSin said:
Only River does eventually know the Doctors name, in her first episode she tells 10 his name as proof she's trustworthy.
As I was saying, continuity.

One minute she does know it then he hasn't told her.

It all rests on how it goes from here into the next season and whether we get any explanation at all from points that seem to change every time Moffat eats a cookie.

We "think" River knows his name after watching that episode but nothing shown so far goes on to back to that up.

As I keep saying, there is no continuity. Moffat tried to do far too much and spread the plot far too thin which left a lot of holes.
River impersonated Cleopatra, the Romans found her out later in the episode and pointed out that the real Cleopatra was both in a different country and dead. Tennant's Doctor also mentioned having met the real Cleopatra in one of Moffat's episode before he took over. Given that the theme of the next season is apparently the Doctor's identity, it's pretty much certain River will find out his name then.

So...what other plot holes have you spotted? Because I really can't think of any.

DrTobiasWho

Oct 1, 2011
Riesel87 said:
What an awful end to a truely awful series of Dr Who. Only the james cordon episode was really good, spoiled by Amy Pond's cameo. This series has been full of continuity errors, more retcons than you can count and the truely tiresom plot of Amy pond and river song. River song has been the most over used and underwhelming character to hit dr who. Poorly devised retcons to turn her into a central character, which just wouldnt end.
What retcons?

Hydro14

Sep 23, 2010
Something that we all seem to be forgetting; that question that must never be answered HAS ALREADY BEEN ASKED. The Doctor asked the question when he stepped out of the Tardis, poisoned and dying in 'Let's Kill Hitler.'

PoliceBox63

Apr 7, 2010
This whole season has been too much squashed into too little. There's too many things going on at once and each one is ruined as it's overshadowed by the other.

IMO They should have resolved this arc in season 6.1 and finished the question in this season 6.2
Dragging out the story is annoying me.

One thing I am looking forward to is how they deal with the Doctor now returning to the shadows.
I'd like to see a new companion and a darker journey for the Doctor. I don't feel like they did the death storyline justice.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Hydro14 said:
Something that we all seem to be forgetting; that question that must never be answered HAS ALREADY BEEN ASKED. The Doctor asked the question when he stepped out of the Tardis, poisoned and dying in 'Let's Kill Hitler.'
It was also asked by Jakie Tyler in 'Christmas Invasion'. Dorium asked it himself a the end of the episode. I'm guessing Silence will fall when the question is asked, and answered.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Riesel87 said:
They need to stop making an overall theme so obvious. In the tennant days, the seemingly random episodes had a loose link in some way to the final episode, it was subtle and you thought oh that was clever how they all linked. Now its all about the build up to the finale, it is literally thrown in your face from minute 1 of episode 1.
Most of your complaints are just down to taste, which is fair enough, but...seriously? Subtle? Clever? Wat. The references to Torchwood and Mr. Saxon in the 2nd and 3rd seasons were incredibly blatant and shoehorned in, while having little to no effect on the stories they were part of (the 4th season's arc was actually surprisingly subtle, so I'll give it that, even if the actual finale it was building towards was mind-blisteringly shit).

The story arcs in the last two series aren't subtle, but unlike the ones in Tennant's day they aren't trying (and failing) to be. They're a part of the actual plot of each individual episode, intended to make the overall story arc tighter rather than something that comes right the fuck out of nowhere in the penultimate episode of the series.