Doctor Who Series 7, Ep 2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
So what did you think? I like the one off adventures that have no bearing on the overarching story and are just fun larks. I especially liked the Doctor's gang. Gangs are cool. Despite the fact it find of contradicts his whole "time to slip back into the shadows" idea he had at the end of last series since people still know him throughout history.

Also what sort of man doesn't carry a trowel?

Next week looks interesting! A proper western themed adventure, you know... with cyborgs

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
I want to know what happened to a man who never would.

Edit: I remembered something good though, the Mitchelll and Webb robots were very sinister, what with the stark contrast between being comic relief types but also brutal, unquestioning enforcers.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I've become mistrusting of the 'fun' episodes, but this was good. Really good. Next weeks episode is the one I have been waiting for though, I am super excited!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
DJjaffacake said:
He died with 10? The Doctor has always exacted judgement against those who wronged him. Tennant put the Family Of Blood in states of perpetual torture for what they did. Eccleston let Cassandra die in response to her attempting to destroying the station they were on.

Either way, every incarnation of the Doctor has a different personality and mentality towards his life and his actions. It's unfair to judge Smith's Doctor on Tennant's Doctor.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
I loved that episode, it's was really fun. The dinosaurs looked way better than I thought they would too.

I want to play fetch with a triceratops now.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
DJjaffacake said:
Unless I missed The Doctor putting a bullet in Solomon's head, then he hasn't. The Doctor has always left those that deserve it, in his eyes, to die.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I was really excited and really wanted to like this episode, but I just didn't. :(

To be honest, feeling like the Dr. Who team is now going through their kid's toys to find ideas right now.

Not that I don't enjoy the sillier of the episodes, I do, not everything has to be super serious but... eh.
I dunno, I can't quite put my finger on it. I hope it's just a one-off `meh` episode for me and that I will like next week's better.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Twas a fun episode. I enjoyed the witty banter and such.

Who was the African Plains guy? Was he a historical figure or something?

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
TimeLord said:
DJjaffacake said:
He died with 10? The Doctor has always exacted judgement against those who wronged him. Tennant put the Family Of Blood in states of perpetual torture for what they did. Eccleston let Cassandra die in response to her attempting to destroying the station they were on.
With Eccleston, it was justified (from a story perspective) because this was the immediately post-Time War Doctor. At the end of Journey's End he said that he was incredibly angry back then (I can't remember the exact wording). And the Family of Blood was very specifically not killed. If it was a one off with Eleven it would be acceptable as a moment when he was angry enough to let his morals slip, but this has been a recurring theme with him.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
DJjaffacake said:
TimeLord said:
DJjaffacake said:
With Eccleston, it was justified (from a story perspective) because this was the immediately post-Time War Doctor. At the end of Journey's End he said that he was incredibly angry back then (I can't remember the exact wording). And the Family of Blood was very specifically not killed. If it was a one off with Eleven it would be acceptable as a moment when he was angry enough to let his morals slip, but this has been a recurring theme with him.
Solomon massacred an entire ship of Silurians to make a profit. He was by no means an innocent or good man. He killed an innocent creature and committed genocide. Those things have never meshed well with The Doctor.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
Doc Theta Sigma said:
DJjaffacake said:
Unless I missed The Doctor putting a bullet in Solomon's head, then he hasn't. The Doctor has always left those that deserve it, in his eyes, to die.
But he's always given them a chance. The Sontarans attempted to commit genocide, he was willing to die just to give them a chance.

Edit: That applies to your second post as well, I must have hit quote just before you posted it.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
DJjaffacake said:
TimeLord said:
DJjaffacake said:
And thus that's his character. Would you rather he was a carbon copy of Tennant?

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
TimeLord said:
DJjaffacake said:
TimeLord said:
DJjaffacake said:
And thus that's his character. Would you rather he was a carbon copy of Tennant?
No, but I'd rather there was a sense that he was the same person, not just another man calling himself the Doctor.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
DJjaffacake said:
TimeLord said:
DJjaffacake said:
TimeLord said:
DJjaffacake said:
No, but I'd rather there was a sense that he was the same person, not just another man calling himself the Doctor.
"I can still die. If I'm killed before regeneration, then I'm dead. Even then. Even if I change, it feels like dying. Everything I am dies. Some new man goes sauntering away. And I'm dead."
-10th Doctor

Smith's Doctor is a new man compared to Tennant's. He's show and said in series 6; "Oh and this is my friend River. Nice hair, clever, has her own gun. And unlike me she really doesn't mind shooting people. I shouldn't like that, kind of do a bit"
He is clearly more open to violence but it still has to be the absolute final option. There was no other way to save the Silurian ship and Soloman caused genocide against the crew of the ship plus killed the dinosaur despite the fact that it was not a threat. So the Doctor had no qualms in using Soloman to save the ship and themselves.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
TimeLord said:
DJjaffacake said:
TimeLord said:
DJjaffacake said:
TimeLord said:
DJjaffacake said:
"I can still die. If I'm killed before regeneration, then I'm dead. Even then. Even if I change, it feels like dying. Everything I am dies. Some new man goes sauntering away. And I'm dead."
-10th Doctor

Smith's Doctor is a new man compared to Tennant's. He's show and said in series 6; "Oh and this is my friend River. Nice hair, clever, has her own gun. And unlike me she really doesn't mind shooting people. I shouldn't like that, kind of do a bit"
He is clearly more open to violence but it still has to be the absolute final option. There was no other way to save the Silurian ship and Soloman caused genocide against the crew of the ship plus killed the dinosaur despite the fact that it was not a threat. So the Doctor had no qualms in using Soloman to save the ship and themselves.
Yeah, I get all that, but it's not like Eleven doesn't remember what he did as Ten, or what caused him to become so anti-violence. I'd have thought an event like committing genocide against his own people would have enough of an impact to transcend the changes that come with regeneration.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
It was awesome that they got Mitchell and Webb to do the voices for the two robots, they're such an awesome pair.

And to the guy who says the doctor never kills, he has done before and the latest doctor is a different doctor so he's more OK with killing people who deserve it.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
Sleekit said:
ToastiestZombie said:
I know he's killed before, it's not like I've somehow managed to only watch the episodes where he doesn't, but it used to be a last resort, and he always gave them a chance, but now he practically seems to enjoy killing people/aliens.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
Awesome.
Awesome awesome awesome.
Much better than the season premiere in my eyes, great episode.