Doctor Who - where to start

Robot-Jesus

Aug 29, 2011
start at Rose and just watch them all, the thing about the show is that it's set in all of time and space so they mostly just pull villains out of their asses with no real connection to continuity; so the mythology is a lot lighter then you would think for a show that's been on since the sixties. as a general rule there are no reoccurring villains and everything you need to know is explained in the episode it occurs in. the only exceptions are The Daeks, cybermen and the Master.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
FalloutJack said:
If you want to get into the new series, then start with 9th amd work up.

If you want to start with the old series, start with 4th and branch out.

If you want to make up your own damn mind, I can live with that.
No, as much as I love Tom, I can't recommend you start with the Fourth Doctor, if you do that you'll miss the best Master, Delgado always plays it straight, never campy even when the script is ridiculous. Hell every Master since has just been an empty shell of Delgado's greatness.

So start with Season 8 from 1971. Get yourself a dose of Delgado and then rush through to Planet of the Spiders as fast as you can so you can experience the definitive Doctor Who himself.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
XSin said:
Well, the tenth doctor[sup]1[/sup] is generally considered the best (or second best) of all of the doctors. However, if Doctor Who seems interesting to you, I would recommend starting from the beginning.

If you can only watch one episode though, watch "Blink", series 3 episode 10.

Neil Gaiman summarizes 48 years of backstory said:
No, look, there's a blue box. It's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. It can go anywhere in time and space and sometimes even where it's meant to go. And when it turns up, there's a bloke in it called The Doctor and there will be stuff wrong and he will do his best to sort it out and he will probably succeed cos he?s awesome. Now sit down, shut up, and watch 'Blink'.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
There's really two starting places for someone interested in Doctor Who: the first Eccleston (ninth Doctor) episode, and the first Smith (11th Doctor) episode. Each of them is something of a clean slate, only referring to past mythology in a way that newcomers will still be able to understand. Starting with Tennant (10th Doctor) is a bad idea, because you need to have seen Eccleston's season to understand what's going on in a lot of his stories, especially early on.

As for the classic series, whether you should seriously get into it or not honestly depends on whether you're willing to pay for it or not. They sell it as individual stories, instead of as entire seasons, so it gets very expensive very quickly. I grab classic Who DVDs every time I find one cheap, but starting from the beginning is /way/ out of my price range without resorting to piracy. The good news is that that's not really necessary to enjoy them. The show was more episodic than the new one, in the sense that you can enjoy most stories on their own merit, not needing to know much backstory beforehand. They were also more heavily serialized in that the stories all consisted of at least two episodes, usually consisted of three or four, and in one case, actually took up a full thirteen episodes to tell. That doesn't really matter for the DVD collections though, because like I said, it's sold by the story, not the season.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Well, as long as you watch it from the start of the doctor to the end, I'd say you get a pretty well self-contained story. I'd advise starting with either the 9th or 10th, since more companions seem to carry over there. I started at the 11th, saw a few of the 10th, and now I'm working on the 9th, and I never got too confused really. If you want to start at the 9th, that's good, but if you want to start at the 11th so you can be up to date ASAP you won't lose too much.

XSin said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
XSin said:
but there was a scene where one of the Doctors (10th?) just got downright scary, he was pissed at someone for something and man. . . can't wait to get to that ep, it had a very cool feel :)
Probably Family of Blood or the sequel. A good choice.
Could be, I think he was angry about aliens attacking (which happens a lot?) but there was a big speech about Earth being under his protection, very cool.
Haven't honestly seen much of the tenth doctor, but I know that's happened a few times with the eleventh. The most obvious by far is Victory of the Daleks where he starts hitting a Dalek with a wrench because it's acting like an ally. The first episode with him ends with a big speech about Earth being under his protection though, so that might be the one you're thinking of.

XSin

Jul 21, 2009
Zen Toombs said:
XSin said:
Well, the tenth doctor[sup]1[/sup] is generally considered the best (or second best) of all of the doctors. However, if Doctor Who seems interesting to you, I would recommend starting from the beginning.

If you can only watch one episode though, watch "Blink", series 3 episode 10.

Neil Gaiman summarizes 48 years of backstory said:
No, look, there's a blue box. It's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. It can go anywhere in time and space and sometimes even where it's meant to go. And when it turns up, there's a bloke in it called The Doctor and there will be stuff wrong and he will do his best to sort it out and he will probably succeed cos he?s awesome. Now sit down, shut up, and watch 'Blink'.
Love Gaiman, he can do no wrong in my eyes :p

Man this Blink episode is getting really hyped, hope its everything you guys say it'll be :)

R3VOLU7ION

Sep 12, 2011
To be perfectly honest, it doesn't really matter. As long as you have a full series you're good. I watched it in the order of 5, 6, 2, 3, 4, 1. Not /too/ much carries over and to be honest, the first season of the new Who is pretty depressing in my opinion. My advice is start with either season 2 or 5.

Xangba

Apr 6, 2005
Well, as my dad is a Whovian born in the 50's, he decided to raise me on the classic episodes, and with the reboot we were both excited. I love both, no doubt. I'm not grumpy to see a show take a different direction, and, having seen all the Doctor's, I have to say Tennant is my favorite, though to get to him you have to go through Eccleston (whom I have no problem with, other than not being David Tennant :p) I won't say whether old or new is better, because they are different. My best suggestion? Start with season 9 and catch up with the reboot, and while doing that accumulate the originals and then watch those from the earliest episode you have.

Aug 1, 2010
XSin said:
MrDeckard said:
Second, if you want an episode to pull you in, watch Blink. Despite being rather Doctor light, it's an amazing piece of television.
Unsurprisingly enough I've already been told this by a friend, the one about scary angel statues right? Looking forward to it :D
That's the one. And not only are the villians great, but it's here that you get the fantastic "Wibbley Wobbley Timey Wimey" speech and lot's of cool time travel stuff.

X10J

May 15, 2010
XSin said:
So I have some free time coming up and I've decided to get into Doctor Who after people have been going on about it for the last 5 years

I've had a bit of a look on the net and went to the local video store, they have the collected 9th and 10th doctors with a bit of the 11th, so where do I start?

Obviously it makes sense to start at 9 but a friend who usually has the same taste in media as me was very anti that doc so I'm unsure, what were your favourites and where would you recommend someone start who has seen literally no Doctor Who before?
I've recently been struggling with the same question, not for myself, mind you I started with the first episode of season one. But I've been trying get others into it.

I started watching it last year at the suggestion of a few friends, and approached it with out any prior knowledge.

If you're just looking to get caught up, then I'd reccomend starting with season five. There'll be some things you don't understand and you'll be a bit out of the loop on some things, but if you're just looking to skim the surface that's probably the way to go. If, however, you are like me and really want to get immersed in the whoniverse then I'd reccomend starting with season one. The Tenth is my favourite Doctor and, even if you find the Ninth utterly repulsive (I actually thought he was pretty good in his own way and was a bit sad to see him go, at first atleast.), It'll be good to get through the first season so that you have some understanding of what's going on.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
XSin said:
-snippy snip-

Man this Blink episode is getting really hyped, hope its everything you guys say it'll be :)
Oh, it's wonderful. Not the best thing ever, but a very good episode that covers most of the important stuff with one of the best original villains in the series. Hope you enjoy it!

Edit: Just so you know, the Doctor only appears for some of the episode.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I'd suggest you start with the 9th doctor if you want to start watching the latest doctor who seasons. However if you want to start from the beginning thats your choice. Also I suggest you stay away from the 11th doctor. He's silly. [sub]I don't get the fish custard.[/sub]

X10J

May 15, 2010
XSin said:
I've seen scraps of it before walking through the lounge and there was one point that really stuck with me, I always found the Doctor to be whimsical and lighthearted but there was a scene where one of the Doctors (10th?) just got downright scary, he was pissed at someone for something and man. . . can't wait to get to that ep, it had a very cool feel :)
Yeah, that's one thing that I loved about the Tenth, he was able to channel that lighthearted optimism into anger. It's like "I KNOW you can be BETTER than this, so be BETTER!" It keeps that feeling of the Doctor being a bit like a parent.

A bit off topic, I know, but I rarely get to talk Who. Sorry.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
9th Doctor is the most appropriate place to start, some of the stuff from his series comes up 4 years later.

9th Doctor and early 10th were when Doctor Who was good, before bad writing made it (once again) unwatchable.

XSin

Jul 21, 2009
right, I have officially started with the 9th and I'm halfway through the first series. . . it's a lot. . . goofier (?) than I was expecting. Kind of silly in a way, not a bad thing. . . I think cheesy is the word I'm looking for here.

But I'm liking it a lot and gonna get back to it now, is there any other memorable episodes in the New series like Blink that I should look forward to?

X10J

May 15, 2010
XSin said:
right, I have officially started with the 9th and I'm halfway through the first series. . . it's a lot. . . goofier (?) than I was expecting. Kind of silly in a way, not a bad thing. . . I think cheesy is the word I'm looking for here.

But I'm liking it a lot and gonna get back to it now, is there any other memorable episodes in the New series like Blink that I should look forward to?
Yeah, New Who is really a bit cheesy in the beginning, kind of meant to be laughed at as well as laughed with, if you know what I mean.

"The Girl in The Fireplace" is a series 2 favourite of mine. Also "The Christmas Invasion."

Feb 13, 2008
XSin said:

Moffat's episodes are the highlights, mostly.

The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fireplace, Human Nature, The Family of Blood, Blink, Midnight, Turn Left are all seen as the very memorable ones.

Try and avoid ALL of the specials if you don't like cheese. They get very cheesy.

The Tenth Doctor's departure is
a) A tear-jerking masterpiece
b) A prolonged kick in the teeth

Depending.

From the 11th, The Eleventh Hour, Vincent and the Doctor, The Doctor's Wife stands out.

You may also want to catch The Curse of the Fatal Death for one of the good Doctor Who spoofs. (Never wise to take it too seriously)

X10J

May 15, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
XSin said:

Moffat's episodes are the highlights, mostly.

The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fireplace, Human Nature, The Family of Blood, Blink, Midnight, Turn Left are all seen as the very memorable ones.

Try and avoid ALL of the specials if you don't like cheese. They get very cheesy.

The Tenth Doctor's departure is
a) A tear-jerking masterpiece
b) A prolonged kick in the teeth

Depending.

From the 11th, The Eleventh Hour, Vincent and the Doctor, The Doctor's Wife stands out.

You may also want to catch The Curse of the Fatal Death for one of the good Doctor Who spoofs. (Never wise to take it too seriously)
If he avoids "The Christmas Invasion" wouldn't he miss the Tenth Doctor's introduction?

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Personally, my favourite doctor is Tennant (10th). Especially the "Silence in the library" and sequel and "Water's of Mars" Episodes. Oh, and ANY episode with the Weeping Angels. Those guys are awesome. I just found him funny in the same sort of way I find Sheogorath funny (Though they are reasonably different), whereas 11 kind of took that to whole new levels, and weirded me out for the first few episodes until I got used to him. 9th Doctor wasn't bad either, but I just prefer 10ant.

I'd go with the advice of the people here and start from 9th Doctor episode "Rose", even though I personally started with one of 10ants episodes, though I eventually went back and watched 9. If you don't like 9s style of humour, or just don't like the doctor, move on to a few episodes into 10ant, preferably the ones I've mentioned as they're awesome. Don't like them, try 11th. Don't like any of them, its possibly not your type of show.

Anyway, have fun.