Doctor Who's 12th Actor Revealed

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
Jandau said:
While I don't watch the show, I do posses a modicum of knowledge about the character (mostly thanks to SF Debris), so I gotta ask - Shouldn't the Doctor be running out of reincarnations by this point? I mean, each actor is supposed to be a different incarnation of the Doctor, after he dies/gets killed. And he's got a finite number of them. Doesn't he have like one left? Is this the last one?
yeah but there is the ability to give/take reincarnations from other time lords. there was an old one where the master was outta them and captured the doctor. then was trying to harvest him for his. watched that one ages ago so not sure if he got more from somewhere else or they just ignored that when he showed up in the new run.

i think there was something with river song giving him her time energy as she something or other on the tardis but not sure if that was a new set or just for that 1 episode

or they might just quietly ignore the fact and not talk about it and pretend there never was a limit. as someone else said as long as the show is getitng the ratings something like that will be swept under the rug in one way or another to keep it going.

OT they really have a thing for scotish actors dont they. 2 out of the last 3 doctors and the last companion. didnt watch the reveal bit on tv but would be interesting to see if he gets to keep his accent or has to put on an english one like tennant did.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I can just imagine the new Doctor defeating the Cybermen in the next series:

"Yeah, I can see you want to take over the planet, you great cyber twat! But let me make something very clear! I'm the fucking Doctor! And if your deluded cyber-brain thinks I'll let you march around swinging your metal cock in everyone's face for shits and giggles, allow me to rectify that notion for you by reformatting your hard-drive by booting it up your shitter with my size 10 space boots! If your aluminium bonce doesn't get out of my face in the next ten seconds, I'll stamp on your kneecaps then fuck you up the arse with your own broken cyber-legs. I will brutalise you so hard, Bob fucking Geldof will release a fucking charity single for you every year at Christmas time! Get the fuck out of my way, and if you see The Master, tell him there's an arse-kicking with his name on it currently locked up in my Tardis! Fuckity bye!"

Please please please please please please please let the new Doctor be something like that.
Yes. Yes and yes. Screw the pre water shed audience, I want to see the Doctor give verbal beat downs to everything he comes across. That paragraph my friend was indeed, comedy gold.

rodneyy said:
OT they really have a thing for scotish actors dont they. 2 out of the last 3 doctors and the last companion. didnt watch the reveal bit on tv but would be interesting to see if he gets to keep his accent or has to put on an english one like tennant did.
Ecclestone was from Manchester, smack bang in the middle of the country, Smith even further south than that, in Northhamptonshire :p Yeah we're good with the whole "what constitutes "north"" in England.

I hope he keeps his scottish accent, he's well known enough for it to be odd to people for him to put it an English accent(Tennent wasn't really known to the general public), and I think it'll lend a certain edge to his character that I suspect they'll go for. There's nothing more terrifying than a scottish person shouting at you.

As demonstrated by Al Murray:

Though I'd recommend watching the entirety of that clip anyway to get the full point of that joke :p

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Man, seeing all these "The Thick of It" clips is going to piss me off even more when Moffat has this Doctor saving things with the power of love. Capaldi has a chance of being the most badass version of the Doctor, and I really don't want them to screw this up. Just keep the Scottish accent and let this guy be angry, a lot, and I'll be happy.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Darn, I was hoping as a homage to time travel films and time travel in general that they were going to hire Christopher Lloyd as the next Doctor. Even though he is in his 70's I could see him playing the Doctor.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Jandau said:
While I don't watch the show, I do posses a modicum of knowledge about the character (mostly thanks to SF Debris), so I gotta ask - Shouldn't the Doctor be running out of reincarnations by this point? I mean, each actor is supposed to be a different incarnation of the Doctor, after he dies/gets killed. And he's got a finite number of them. Doesn't he have like one left? Is this the last one?
You're right, this should be the Doctor's final regeneration. Of course, the writers have complete narrative control, and there are theories abounding that could easily circumvent this limitation. Eccleston not being the "9th" for example, but in fact, an imposter Doctor.

Though the way it's been recently, I wouldn't be surprised if the way they write themselves out of this regeneration limit is by canonising what could barely pass for fan fiction. Just throw together an, intentionally obtuse, string of "explanations", save it for a disappointing finale you've been "alluding" to all season, and there you have it. Infinite regenerations because the Doctor is in fact a Möbius fucking bow-tie.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Doctors#Plot

Second paragraph of plot, fourth line.

CaptainThom

Jun 24, 2013
Akichi Daikashima said:
I was holding out for Idris Elba.

Oh well, hopefully this won't be as crap as most of Matt Smith's episodes(that's a bit unfair, I feel that Stephen Moffatt is more responsible for the new "new" series of Dr. Who sucking rather than Smith himself).

Actually, yeah! BOO, YOU SUCK STEPHEN MOFFATT!
I always felt quite sorry for Matt he didn't get the same quality of writing that David got and Steven Mofatt got rid of double epsidoes...:/

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Windknight said:
Mumorpuger said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
Absolutely. As I was reading this I was thinking that they really need to get a black actor to really shake things up. The Time Lords are a race that can travel to any place or time, and have encountered countless races, yet every time there's a regeneration the Doctor ends up as a Caucasian male. What are the odds of that?
Its been noted before that they can swap gender too, so people were really hoping for a female and/or non-white doctor to spice things up, so mildly disappointed they didn't take a risk on mixing things up. (though when he asked fans at a con how they'd react to a female doctor, and he got a pretty much 100% reply that they'd stop watching the show)

Having said that, interested to see his take on it, though anticipating some mash-ups where they overdub the doctor with Malcom Tucker lines.
That's sad to hear about the convention thing. There's an old saying that (paraphrased) goes "if you never hear from a 'friend' again after loaning him 50 dollars, it was worth the money."

I have a feeling that the same thing could be reworked to fit those "fans." If a female in the role suddenly makes those people not be fans of a show, good riddance. Whovians don't need them fouling up the actual fanbase.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Well, I haven't seen much of this actor, but I seem to recall a little bit of him from Torchwood. I always hate the new Doctors until I get used to them, and since Smith hasn't even made it out the door yet, I'll reserve my judgements.

As for the Doctor's remaining regenerations, I think if anything, they'll go as far as the 13th until they worry about messing with canon. I recall thirteen being an important number, and even though there's been some tossing about with regeneration energy, no one writer is going to nitpick on it now that Doctor Who has become such a mainstream show.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
CaptainThom said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

Oh well, hopefully this won't be as crap as most of Matt Smith's episodes(that's a bit unfair, I feel that Stephen Moffatt is more responsible for the new "new" series of Dr. Who sucking rather than Smith himself).

I always felt quite sorry for Matt he didn't get the same quality of writing that David got and Steven Mofatt got rid of double epsidoes...:/
The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon disagrees.

OT: YAY! An older man! This won't look creepy at all!

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Damn. I was hoping for Jim Sterling to be the next Doctor... What?

In all seriousness, I don't care who they cast as the Doctor. As long as Mr. Capaldi acts well,[footnote]I've never seen him in anything else as far as I know[/footnote] I'm happy. Good luck to him.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
It's nice and all, but from eat I've seen the show will get a drop in ratings because of the legions of Tumblr and Twitter fan girls who are complaining he isn't pretty like the last few. Which is quite sexist, but who cares as long as we get a cool new Doctor.
Don't forget the legion of fans who are still pissed they're not going back to Tennant.

Jandau said:
as long as the show is popular, he will get more. They gave the Master new Regenerations, and they may have dropped the limited number when they revived the show. They've used it as an excuse to drop other points.

Plus, they've always played fast and loose with it.

Sgt Pepper

Dec 7, 2009
I'm starting to get my head around Peter Capaldi as the Doctor, though I'm not convinced Jenna-Louise Coleman is going to work as assistant to his Doctor unless they do some serious work on developing her character.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Sleekit said:
why does it always have to be a human Doctor? I'm sick and tired of all this speciesism. When will the producers of the show stop being such bigots and cast a dolphin or at least a chimpanzee as the Doctor? nowhere is it explicitly stated that the Doctor can't regenerate into a marmoset or even a colony of termites...
Or why not a Metraxi? They have 2 heads. That'd be twice the timey wimey sciency jargon. And the arguments about what to do next in a high stress situation would be epic!

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
The Doctor's new catchphrase:
"I'm getting in the fucking TARDIS. You can come the fuck in or get the fuck out."

Oh man, this is gonna be great. How are they going to justify having an actor who already appeared on the show suddenly become the Doctor?

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
I have never heard of this guy, but LOOK AT THAT FACIAL HAIR! If he keeps it on the show I'll be satisfied with his performance no matter how it turns out.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Morti said:
*sigh* yet another white guy...

he's not even ginger.
Of course.

Every time there's lots of speculation that the new Doctor might not be white, or might not be a man, and then inevitably he is. They were doing that back in the old series.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
saintdane05 said:
CaptainThom said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon disagrees.

OT: YAY! An older man! This won't look creepy at all!
I thought that only the first two "The Silence" episodes were any good because of how creepy The Silence seemed, but then we had the action montage at the end WHERE THE DOCTOR FIRES A GUN AT THEM.

Also the parallel universe in which most of (EDIT: I mixed up the episodes, sorry) The Wedding of River Song took place in felt like wasted (EDIT:)potential.(I thought we would get to see more of The Holy Roman Empire as run by Winston Churchill, because that was fucking awesome!)

Perhaps I am unfairly biased, but my gripe with Moffatt's style of writing is that he sets up a good mystery, but that he cannot follow through with the execution(case in point, The Power of Three)