Doctor Who's David Tennant Joins The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Doctor Who's David Tennant Joins The Marvel Cinematic Universe

David Tennant, best know for his performance as the Tenth Doctor, will be a major villain in Marvel Studios' A.K.A. Jessica Jones.

With the Third Phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe almost underway, it's no surprise to see a host of new casting announcements. Between <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139232-Vin-Diesels-Facebook-Teases-Inhumans-Involvement>the prospect of Vin Diesel being an Inhuman to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139197-Marvel-Casts-Mike-Colter-As-Luke-Cage-For-Netflix-Series>the reveal that Mike Colter is Luke Cage, audiences have a lot to be excited about for the upcoming movies and Netflix specials. But <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/doctor%20who?os=doctor+who>Doctor Who fans should take special notice: David Tennant has been cast as Zebediah Kilgrave in Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones.

"I'm so honored and excited by the prospect of David inhabiting this multifaceted character," Jessica Jones executive producer Melissa Rosenberg said. "He can deliver the most heart-wrenching moment to the driest of lines, and all points in between. He'll make Kilgrave a truly original villain."

That's right, unlike his role as the Doctor, Tennant's Kilgrave will add a significant villainous presence to the MCU. In the comics, <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Man>Kilgrave was a spy exposed to chemicals which turned his skin purple and let him control anyone's free will. Taking the nickname "Purple Man", Kilgrave became a supervillain and fought heroes throughout the Marvel Universe. Kilgrave was also was a major character in the <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_%28comics%29>Alias comic series, which A.K.A. Jessica Jones is based on. Without giving too much away: Kilgrave is the reason Jessica is an ex-superhero instead of a major player alongside the Avengers.

"Anyone familiar with David's work knows he brings an incredible level of dedication to any role he inhabits, a level we knew we would need from the man playing Kilgrave," Marvel's head of television Jeph Loeb explained. "While most know him for his roles as a hero, we can't wait to unleash a whole new side of this talented actor."

Tennant first gained international acclaim as Doctor Who's Tenth Doctor, and is widely recognized for helping the series find its North American audience. More recently, he's starred in the British crime drama Broadchurch and its American remake Gracepoint. He'll be performing alongside <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138895-Marvel-Krysten-Ritter-Jessica-Jones-Series-Luke-Cage>Krysten Witter's Jessica Jones and Mike Colter's Luke Cage.

Source: <a href=http://marvel.com/news/tv/23978/david_tennant_joins_marvels_aka_jessica_jones_for_netflix>Marvel

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Oh, I can imagine the crossover fanfiction already.

Tennant's a good actor, but hopefully his past performances won't make his role too distracting.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
This... this is Christmas. This is motherloving Christmas. That's how good the news are.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
I peed a little when I heard this news. David Tennant is such an amazing actor that I'm always hoping to seem him in larger and bigger projects.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
David Tennant playing a purple skinned, mind controlling villain. Yeah, I think he can pull it off.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Well...no, not really. He's joined a Netflix exclusive web-series as an occasional villain.

He hasn't been cast in a movie or anything like that. I suppose its technically cinematic in that it will be a show with moving pictures, but you won't be seeing him at a big screen cinema in any Marvel movie anytime soon.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Silentpony said:
Well...no, not really. He's joined a Netflix exclusive web-series as an occasional villain.

He hasn't been cast in a movie or anything like that. I suppose its technically cinematic in that it will be a show with moving pictures, but you won't be seeing him at a big screen cinema in any Marvel movie anytime soon.
However these Netflix shows are actually part of the MCU.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Kenbo Slice said:
Silentpony said:
True, but he hasn't been cast in like...Avengers 2 or Captain America 3 or something like that. It just seemed a little misleading when the post doesn't even say AKA Jessica Jones is a Netflix web-show and implies he's gonna be in the movies.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
I'm all for Mr. Tennant, fan of The Doctor, etc etc? but that is the single weirdest picture of the man I've ever seen.

Manthraxx

Nov 11, 2009
Elijah Newton said:
I'm all for Mr. Tennant, fan of The Doctor, etc etc? but that is the single weirdest picture of the man I've ever seen.
I was wondering why nobody had noticed it yet

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
I didn't know there is an MCU villain whose appearance is of aging baldly skinny man with a crafty comb over.

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
Marvel can't get the rights for the Fantastic 4 back soon enough, because now I really want to see this scene done in live action.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
Oh wow. So they're actually going to do THAT storyline. Does this mean that these Netflix series aren't going to be as "family friendly" as the movies, I wonder?

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Elijah Newton said:
It looks like one of those celeb pictures that are photoshopped to look like a fan art picture. Something just seems off about it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Spaceman Spiff said:
Elijah Newton said:
It looks like one of those celeb pictures that are photoshopped to look like a fan art picture. Something just seems off about it.
It's the left eye. And yeah, if I saw Mr. Tennant like that, I'd be less "can I please have your autograph" and more "please don't consume my soul".

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
Silentpony said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Silentpony said:
True, but he hasn't been cast in like...Avengers 2 or Captain America 3 or something like that. It just seemed a little misleading when the post doesn't even say AKA Jessica Jones is a Netflix web-show and implies he's gonna be in the movies.
To be fair, Purple Man is a MAJOR villain for the series. In fact, will most likely be the main villain. Recurring roles in the show and even a chance to cross over into the movies.

voltair27

Apr 9, 2012
WarpedLord said:
Oh wow. So they're actually going to do THAT storyline. Does this mean that these Netflix series aren't going to be as "family friendly" as the movies, I wonder?
Yeah, Agents of SHIELD wasn't particularly family friendly.

That one scene in "A Magical Place" still gives me the creeps.