Doctor Who's Matt Smith Departing Show At Christmas

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
!SPOILERS!

The 9th Doctor was killed by a xenomorph

!END SPOILERS!

And hell, I thought frankly every Doctor has been pretty good - Matt Smith of course included.

You don't get a show running for 50 years without having some spectacularly good casting, writing, and directing. And considering that the baton has been changed many times in those fifty years (sure, there's been plenty of different Doctors, but there's been lots of companions, and different script writers, directors, and even gaffers), there has been a remarkable amount of good luck as well.

Consider Red Dwarf - it's been going only for a fraction of the time of Dr Who, but remember the great jarring changes when we lost Rimmer and got Kochanski? Or when Holly assumed the face of Hilly? If you're a long time fan you'll even remember the shock of having Kryten added to the regular cast.

Hmm ... now I'm having another idea ...

A DOCTOR WHO / RED DWARF CROSSOVER EPISODE !??!!!!?!??!? *brain explodes*

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
FEichinger said:
TIMESWORDSMAN said:
Will they actually end it? Will they call upon an ancient plot-hole?

I think the latter is more likely.
River Song's first appearance already more or less killed that one.
Really? Please elaborate good sir.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
I'm both very sad and a bit excited.

Matt Smith's the best and I hate to see him go.
But it is a big part of the show and I'm looking forward to Who will be taking up the mantle and what they'll be doing with this new incarnation.

Space commando 75

May 11, 2012
Looking forward to it.

No offense to smith, he's a good actor but the story have been getting worse since he took over. Hope the new doctor will bring some much need change. Like getting rid of that song woman for a start and the deus ex machina screwdriver.

Also looking forward to this.
http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-light-at-the-end-standard-edition-861

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I liked Smith, but I can't really dredge up emotion for this. I haven't watched the show for over a year; at some point it became a chore, so I stopped.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Oh I fully agree both on the subject of whimsy and that it's partially aimed at children. Both are certainly true and I for one love what whimsy they do add. It just irritates me when people seem to imply it's ALL for children and that means adult viewers don't get to have input.

Actually, I wish they would do more spinoff shows. The brilliance of the Sarah Jane Chronicles and Torchwood is that they all had the same awesome universe, but from a totally children oriented view and a totally adult oriented view, respectively, both vanilla Doctor Who in between.
Oh sure, sure. In that regard I agree. I want those themes to be a bit more mixed, because I do want to see some heavier subjects get thrown around instead of just "hey, we have a continuity which kids probably don't care about: that's for you old people!". Nothing against that, but it just doesn't hold ground versus something a little darker.

Either way, mostly making comment for the sake of a lighter attitude here :D

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Ronack said:
Okay, Moffat, now is the time to move away from fairy tale whimsy and move back to a more grounded approach. Do something different with the next Doctor. Whether it's an older Doctor (new for NewWho) or a black Doctor or even a female Doctor. This is the time, Moffat! Don't faff it up!
Argh, yes.

luvd1 said:
Awww. The Corsair. Even though s/he was only mentioned and partly shown. I would love an episode that had him/her in. They're time travellers, coz they're dead shouldn't mean they can't.
Nah...that'd muck up the whole "Time Lords are all dead" thing. Sure, it makes sense, but mumble mumble mumble.
Well the whole "Time Lords are all dead" thing got thrown into the dust bin when the Master showed up with his Chameleon watch. Who is to say the Rani or Meddling Monk didn't pull something like this and aren't still around? Nevermind we have the Doctor's Daughter who since she is basically a clone of the Doctor is also a Time Lord (the Doctor thinks she is dead but we the viewers know she isn't)

Furthermore there is the old adage Nature arbores a vacuum - the demise of the Time Lords has left a power vacuum and someone or something will eventually try to fill that vacuum.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
SuperMse said:
It's meant to excite the imaginations of children and to get them interested in history. To pretend anything else is to ignore the point of the show.
Or maybe you're wrong and there's far FAR more to it than that since there's many dark, complex themes and relatively few episodes focused on history.
Children's shows can have dark, complex themes. Just because something is aimed at a family audience doesn't mean it has to be shit. It's just typically a bit campier and pulpier than most things, which, if you haven't noticed, Doctor Who is. And while it may not be solely focused on history, there are episodes about the Blitz, Van Gogh, 1920s New York, Shakespeare, and Victorian London for a reason.

Aug 1, 2010
SuperMse said:
SuperMse said:
It's meant to excite the imaginations of children and to get them interested in history. To pretend anything else is to ignore the point of the show.
Or maybe you're wrong and there's far FAR more to it than that since there's many dark, complex themes and relatively few episodes focused on history.
Children's shows can have dark, complex themes. Just because something is aimed at a family audience doesn't mean it has to be shit. It's just typically a bit campier and pulpier than most things, which, if you haven't noticed, Doctor Who is. And while it may not be solely focused on history, there are episodes about the Blitz, Van Gogh, 1920s New York, Shakespeare, and Victorian London for a reason.
I'll agree that it's a FAMILY aimed show. Not a show aimed at CHILDREN.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I just see a huge difference between children's show and a family show.