Doctors Fear 'Epidemic' of Wii Injuries

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Hevoo said:
I didn't know Doctors had some much time on there hands, I thought that had to cure Aids and Cancer......
Um, not if you're a member if the British Society for Surgery if the Hand. They tend to focus mainly on hand injuries and leave AIDS to the Virologists, and Cancer to the Oncologists.

Anyway, how shit would you feel if you broke your hand, went to hospital and were told there were no doctors to help you because they were all busy trying to find a cure for cancer.

"Just pack your broken hand in ice, and if we've cured cancer before it's healed itself then maybe a Doctor will be able to see you"

As a keen gamer and fan of onanism, I for one am glad there are different types of Doctors, for the time I once broke my hand.
If I'd had to wait for a cure for cancer before my hand could be fixed I don't know what would have killed me first, not being able to grip my PS2 controller or my joystick...

Anaanyway back on topic.

Any exercise can be bad for you & cause injuries and sprains if you don't warm up properly beforehand. I don't see using the Wii being any different.

I'd imagine people just start playing the games straight away, and after prolong periods of lounging around, so they don't warm up properly and end up hurting themselves.

Thinking about it, the back and knee injuries are probably caused by the fact that most people's televisions are positioned at eye level for when you're sitting down.
When they're standing up playing the Wii, they're probably stooping down to bring they're eyes closer to television level (more so with LCD's) and straining their knees and backs. Having you're attention captivated by the TV and game would distract you from the pain of bad posture, until it was too late.

I think the majority of RSI's connected with computers and electronics are simple down to poor posture.

Hevoo

Nov 29, 2008
Jamash said:
Hevoo said:
I didn't know Doctors had some much time on there hands, I thought that had to cure Aids and Cancer......
Um, not if you're a member if the British Society for Surgery if the Hand. They tend to focus mainly on hand injuries and leave AIDS to the Virologists, and Cancer to the Oncologists.

Anyway, how shit would you feel if you broke your hand, went to hospital and were told there were no doctors to help you because they were all busy trying to find a cure for cancer.

"Just pack your broken hand in ice, and if we've cured cancer before it's healed itself then maybe a Doctor will be able to see you"

As a keen gamer and fan of onanism, I for one am glad there are different types of Doctors, for the time I once broke my hand.
If I'd had to wait for a cure for cancer before my hand could be fixed I don't know what would have killed me first, not being able to grip my PS2 controller or my joystick...

Anaanyway back on topic.

Any exercise can be bad for you & cause injuries and sprains if you don't warm up properly beforehand. I don't see using the Wii being any different.

I'd imagine people just start playing the games straight away, and after prolong periods of lounging around, so they don't warm up properly and end up hurting themselves.

Thinking about it, the back and knee injuries are probably caused by the fact that most people's televisions are positioned at eye level for when you're sitting down.
When they're standing up playing the Wii, they're probably stooping down to bring they're eyes closer to television level (more so with LCD's) and straining their knees and backs. Having you're attention captivated by the TV and game would distract you from the pain of bad posture, until it was too late.

I think the majority of RSI's connected with computers and electronics are simple down to poor posture.
Its called a joke.... Christ...

AuntyEthel

Sep 19, 2008
I've hurt myself a couple of times playing Wii. Though the alcohol could possibly be blamed...

Jackpot

Mar 21, 2008
this is why I sold my Wii. I had a session on Saints row 2 that lasted from ~ 9pm till 3pm(~18 hours) the next day, and my hand felt fine.

A 3-5 hour session on the wii (super mario galaxy) made me feel like my forearms were going to detach and murder me.

Chrisos

May 21, 2008
In other news: The Daily Telegraph(1) knocks out a piece of page filling pap in order to generate nonsense controversy about non controvertial insignificant statement.

Just in: Bears do poop in the woods, Dept. of Health and Safety to investigate new laws regarding fecal treatment in woodland.

Breaking news: Arse is *not* the same as elbow.

(1) The Telegraph (a "broadsheet" with a conservative reputation) should know better, the Sun or the Star, tabloid journalism at its worst, I could have understood this from.

Sycker

Dec 19, 2008
Last Christmas my skin actually grew over the Wii controller i was holding for a few days.

The doctors or Nintendo didn't warn me about that, did they?

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
nilcypher said:
Doctors Fear 'Epidemic' of Wii Injuries

Doctors in the UK are warning people to take it easy with their Wiis over the holidays.

Medical professionals all over Britain are seeing an increase in injuries caused by people overdoing it while playing on the Wii. Back strains, knee strains and broken fingers are just some of the mishaps to befall over-enthusiastic gamers and doctors are worried that the number of accidents will rise significantly over Christmas.

Leeds Training Hospital and the British Society for Surgery of the Hand are just two of the organizations urging people not to get carried away when playing.

Wow I think these doctors need to spend their time looking at the cholora crisis in Zimbabwe not wasting time complaining about possible injurues from affluence.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
beddo said:
Wow I think these doctors need to spend their time looking at the cholora crisis in Zimbabwe not wasting time complaining about possible injurues from affluence.
I don't think complaining is quite the right word, 'warning' is closing to the mark. If anything, this is doctors doing their job properly, warning people to take it easy so that they don't hurt themselves.

Prevention is just as much a part of medicine as curing people.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
bazookabob said:
I'm surprised the most common injury isn't from people flailing their arms into one another playing Tennis in Wii Sports.
Sprained ankles and wiifit beat you to it.