Documentary Mistakes ArmA 2 Clip For Real Combat Video

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
back in March with an misleadingly realistic-looking caption, was actually created in
I feel like "an" should be "a".

OT:

Clearly video games are so real now, they in fact or more authentic than real life.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Glademaster said:
Lol the IRA with AA weaponry. Use I'm sure they were able to hide that in the back of someone's house in one of the shitty ghetto in the North of Ireland. Seriously thought the only thing like this that the IRA ever had to my knowledge was AA missiles that were homemade from Boston and they were caught with those eventually. I am fairly sure they never imported AA of this type from Libya(It was thought but never confirmed). They did get ground to air Stinger type stuff from Lybia but not a proper mounted AA gun to my knowledge.
They used mounted 12.7mm guns that were technically anti-aircraft weapons, but never actual autocannons like in the video.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
If they're telling the truth and it's just the wrong video, it's probably something a peon put in as a placeholder, and then people forgot or didn't notice that the placeholder was still in, in the final. ...Happens.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
You know that, somewhere out there, Jack Thompson or one of his many mentally-deficient followers are going to be using this story as an argument for why video games are evil and are corrupting our nation's youth.

Rotating Bread

Jul 22, 2008
Thought I'd point out that this event did actually happen, although the real event was somewhat less dramatic than the Arma 2 footage suggests.

In 1988 A British Army Lynx helicopter was forced to make an emergency landing after being hit by the IRA using a heavy machine gun thought to be supplied by Gaddafi's Libya.

Jun 11, 2008
maturin said:
Glademaster said:
Lol the IRA with AA weaponry. Use I'm sure they were able to hide that in the back of someone's house in one of the shitty ghetto in the North of Ireland. Seriously thought the only thing like this that the IRA ever had to my knowledge was AA missiles that were homemade from Boston and they were caught with those eventually. I am fairly sure they never imported AA of this type from Libya(It was thought but never confirmed). They did get ground to air Stinger type stuff from Lybia but not a proper mounted AA gun to my knowledge.
They used mounted 12.7mm guns that were technically anti-aircraft weapons, but never actual autocannons like in the video.
Well that's what I mean. They had stuff like that and a couple of Strella 7s I think it was and maybe a Stinger but they never actually got one of those into the country.

Jun 11, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Andy Chalk said:
It's no secret that the Provisional Irish Republican Army was supported by many foreign individuals and governments over the years, including Moammar Gaddafi's Libya in the 1970s and 80s.
Know who else funded and armed the IRA? The good old United States of America. Cheers for that one guys.

On topic: I do find that this puts a hilarious new spin on the current military shooter craze we're going through. Call Of Duty and Battlefield are duking it out over which is the better military experience, but it's Arma 2 that gets mistaken for real life war footage.

Got to love the underdog.
The IRA wasn't always a terrorist group although the Provisional IRA only lasted for about 28ish years I think with a formal disbandment at about 33ish years. So you really need to specify which IRA group you are talking about like the article does. I am just saying you really need to specify as THE IRA was the original one with many splits after that.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
I...What...you can see the truck jumping up due to physics fail,and the gunner never moving,even when the gun is firing...
How can anyone mistake this for a real video clip?

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
You can easily tell that the clip is fake by the fact that everyone in the helicopter seemed to parachute out as soon as it was hit.
As the video clip on the story seems to have been removed here it is again. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJDeipvpjGQ&feature=player_embedded]
This clip may be fake, but the event is not.
Here is a video of it [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIgNj43S9sE&feature=player_detailpage], probably similar to the one ITV meant to broadcast.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
ArmA: Shitting over BF series since OFP.

Seriously, BF3 is just filler until ArmA 3, it's like real men using VIM instead of visual basic (I know basic is 1 language).