Does 240p 360p etc effect the sound quality of Youtube videos?

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
I've seen alot of people saying that it does on youtube but I've never actually found a video that is available in high/low quality that shows the difference plainly.

Can anyone show me if it does make much of a difference?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I'd be interested in finding this out as well, as I tend to notice an improvement in sound quality while switching a video to a higher resolution, and always wonder why that is.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
From my experience, 360p has noticeably better sound quality than 240p, but going higher than 360p doesn't make a difference, or if it does it's barely noticeable.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Definitely. My computer-wise friend knew the exact details but I don't so I'm afraid I can't get into the technicalities. There's also a joke that using 240p makes the sound quality better in 8-bit'd songs. Sometimes it's true.

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
Yes, that is one reason people fret so much about a song on Youtube not being in HD. The higher the resolution = the higher the sound quality also.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
If it does then I haven't noticed it (I've listened to a lot of youtube vids at 360, 480, 720 and 1080p)

The only differences I notice are in picture quality. I would notice aswell since I've a pretty keen ear and also listen to a lot of commentary videos.

I would try finding some music on there that has differing resolutions but most music is only uploaded with the one (240/360 for most and 480 for music videos)

Edit: Oh it seems that one of the last songs I listened to has a choice of resolutions and there is a pretty big difference between 240 and 720

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU1wLryjuEw&feature=g-hist&context=G2660136AHTwtdpwARAA

(Gotta link it since embedding doesn't seem to allow changes of resolution)

I guess that for commentaries the expensive sound equipment they use makes the difference less noticable.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
ohnoitsabear said:
From my experience, 360p has noticeably better sound quality than 240p, but going higher than 360p doesn't make a difference, or if it does it's barely noticeable.
Sorry dude, but thats just plain wrong. There are VERY noticeable differences between all resolution settings 99% of the time.

If im not entirely mistaken it is possible to upload a 360p video with 720p audio, but hardly anyone does so. So to answer your original question, OP: yes, it does.
I'm sure if you've got high-quality wrap-around headphones, or an expensive surround sound system, or you are a very sensitive connoisseur of sound and sound quality you do notice a big difference, but from my experience and according to the average folks I know 320p does just fine.

And to the OP--if you have to ask which is better, chances are you're one of the ones it doesn't really matter to, so don't worry about it. I'm with smash on this one--240 is substantially worse than 360, but any more than that and you have to be a very picky person to not find the quality acceptable (or the music in the video itself is messed up).

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
As far as I can tell they're all the same, except for 240p which is noticeably lower quality

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Lilani said:
And to the OP--if you have to ask which is better, chances are you're one of the ones it doesn't really matter to, so don't worry about it. I'm with smash on this one--240 is substantially worse than 360, but any more than that and you have to be a very picky person to not find the quality acceptable (or the music in the video itself is messed up).
Ignore the last quote

Nouw said:
Definitely. My computer-wise friend knew the exact details but I don't so I'm afraid I can't get into the technicalities. There's also a joke that using 240p makes the sound quality better in 8-bit'd songs. Sometimes it's true.
Never mind the last quote, just looked at the video in this comment below

Lawnmooer said:
If it does then I haven't noticed it (I've listened to a lot of youtube vids at 360, 480, 720 and 1080p)

The only differences I notice are in picture quality. I would notice aswell since I've a pretty keen ear and also listen to a lot of commentary videos.

I would try finding some music on there that has differing resolutions but most music is only uploaded with the one (240/360 for most and 480 for music videos)

Edit: Oh it seems that one of the last songs I listened to has a choice of resolutions and there is a pretty big difference between 240 and 720

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU1wLryjuEw&feature=g-hist&context=G2660136AHTwtdpwARAA

(Gotta link it since embedding doesn't seem to allow changes of resolution)

I guess that for commentaries the expensive sound equipment they use makes the difference less noticable.
and there is a massive difference in sound quality between 240p and 360p. Cant really tell with 720p, but thanks very much for pointing that out.