Does America have Culture?

mr Awsome

Jul 27, 2009
like it says in the title im asking if you think America has culture, and if so then what?

all i see America's culture being is hamburgers and hotdogs...i wouldnt be very proud to say our culture is the leading cause of obesity in our ow country

so what do you think?

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
yes we very much do. From rock and roll to philosophy to economics, we have a very rich one indeed.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I think America has a fairly rich culture because it shows how tradition of different areas can combine into one culture. Christmas for one is a mix of several cultures creating one large culture.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
How did that meme go again? Obvious something...

America has a lot of culture, just not as much history. As a nation of immigrants much of America's culture is the result of cultural mixes, one enriching the other.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Umm, culture is culture. You can't not have it. I think what you're asking is what America considers it's identity to be. But that answer is as varied as our ethnicities. We are the melting pot. We collide the rest of the world together and out comes american. I bet no one from China had "Chinese" food before they came to America.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
erbkaiser said:
America has a lot of culture, just not as much history. As a nation of immigrants much of America's culture is the result of cultural mixes, one enriching the other.
This. It seems as though, due to the lack of History, America has compensated by creating an immense culture that's slowly beginning to take over the world.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I don't think America has any culture at all.

It's not like the USA produces any literature, music, movies, TV, art and so on, is it?

Oh, hang on...

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
It does have a culture, about 95% of films that make it to the cinema are made in America for one thing. The thing is Americans spend so much time trying to be part of other cultures. Starbucks is a good example, you guys love coffee as much as we Brits are known for loving tea, you go into a Starbucks and all of a sudden you're expected to order in another language.

Overall I'd say America has a healthy art scene, particularly films as mentioned earlier since America is the producer of practically all well known films.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Absolutely! As neoman mentioned, there's music (not just rock n roll, but bluegrass and jazz, too!), and our philosophy is in a symbiotic relationship with our thoughts on government, economics, lifestyle, etc.

We are very much a young upstart with a lot of much older countries who: don't quite get it; think we're too loud; don't think we're doing it right; think there's some promise; see some flaws. It's like older humans do with less experienced, crazy and sometimes brilliant younger generations, "the kids these days!" We're that teenage kid, full of energy, passion and mistakes. But we definitely have our own way of doing things, of course informed by our "parents" (as Drakmeire alluded with different countries feeding into our own), but synthesized into something entirely new.

Pyro Ghost

Dec 17, 2008
American culture.... I would like to say a melting pot, but America is not the only country populated by immigrates. Canada, Australia, and New Zealand all are too. I would have to say that american culture is trying to be fast. All it really turns out though is a rude, undereducated, self important, over priced mess.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Sapient Pearwood said:
It does have a culture, about 95% of films that make it to the cinema are made in America for one thing. The thing is Americans spend so much time trying to be part of other cultures. Starbucks is a good example, you guys love coffee as much as we Brits are known for loving tea, you go into a Starbucks and all of a sudden you're expected to order in another language.

Overall I'd say America has a healthy art scene, particularly films as mentioned earlier since America is the producer of practically all well known films.
As a general rule, I would not cite Starbucks as a sign of loving coffee. It's more liking hot milk with a hint of coffee.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Yeah this is true, it's coffee flavoured though. And anyone who tries to tell me a white chocolate mocha with whipped cream is not amazing is just plain wrong :)

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Hollywood.
Superhero comics.
Various authors.
Music.

Seems like plenty of culture there.