Does anybody else sense a lack of musical diversity on the escapist?

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Well I have a much different taste in music than people here. I really like Trance and House at the moment, anything electronic, as well as Pop and RnB which i've always liked. Some rock is okay. I absolutely hate metal apart from one or two songs I've heard.

I like my music to be fun and/or danceable and/or pretty sounding. I care very little about the message in music, my pop and rnb is to have a shallow sing-song and dance to. The other stuff is to dance to, and in the case of trance, chill out to, and occasionally a really good track I'll be able to loose myself in and really feel something through the music. But its not about the words, its about the tune.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Eh, it's a gaming forum so we're not likely to have the same knowledge of music as games. I do personally enjoy listening to a full range of musical genres but I haven't got the devotion to explore any of them in real depth so I understand if others prefer to stick with one or two genres that they really like rather than spreading themselves thin. I have noticed that Escapists particularly enjoy metal and (unsurprisingly) music from video games, that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't enjoy other genres although I've seen a lot of shunning towards popular music. There's a fairly diverse group of people here, however, so I'm sure we could find a few that absolutely despise metal if we look hard enough - it's not fair to generalise.

AlAaraaf74

Dec 11, 2010
creationis apostate said:
I enjoy other music but I also hate how everyone here generalises classical to before the 20th centuary. I do enjoy other music as well but I have yet to find music that displays more dimensions humanity than faure's and a few other "classical" composers.
I know how you feel. Like, I think Scriabin's music is more emotional then Mozart's. Also, I can't stand it when people say to me "I love classical music. It's so peaceful, I listen to it when I study."

jonoortrev

Apr 21, 2011
bahumat42 said:
UM NO
seriously look at the dozens of top music in games thread, tis full of classical music. Infact on a whole id say the sites pretty accepting other than certain genres (rap gets a bad rap round here, and i cant stand dubstep, but the later isnt really music)
erm...
Dubstep originally started as an experimental genre first championed by magazines like Wiretapper (the ones that love both John Cage and Sunn O)) amongst others) before evolving into a dance music genre than championed by such places like Radio 1 and mixmag. So expecting it to sound conventional is simply silly. You should expect like with any genre of anything (games, books, music, opera, films) there is good examples and bad examples of everything, and simply basing your argument on what you've been shown by say the radio (whilst I'm assuming here, statements that are 'the latter isn't really music' doesn't show any actual thought being put into them) is definitely stupid, is the best thing you've heard something you've been played on the radio because a PR company has paid them to play it or is something you've found yourself by looking for things that sound like something you'd like?

Also as a point, Edvard Grieg is classed as Romantic classical msuic, so is Dvoøák. Yet if you used either one of those two composers on their own to describe the whole genre you'd most likely get taken around the back and shot, so why do people feel the need to write off entire genres due to one or even a few artists?

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
NeutralMunchHotel said:
Phenakist said:
So, us preferring real music over computer generated soulless noise is a bad thing?

What is this I don't even.
Out of interest, what do you consider real music and what do you consider soulless noise?
Metal-rock-classical etc. real music

Pop-hiphop-r&b-rap etc. soulless.

Araxiel_1911

Jun 30, 2011
Phenakist said:

What about Soul [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_music]? That one has even soul in it's name.

But seriously, as much as I like what you consider "real music", I disagree strongly with you.
Both music is very, very real. Just because you don't associate it with what you may consider good music, does not mean it's "soulless" or something like that. There are many, many artists out there that pured all their soul in their music, no matter which genre they made that music for. Take as an example Bob Marley. He literaly was is music.
Now if you come with the argument that "all those 'soulless' musiciens are only in for the money" I'm just going to respond with Metallica and their attempt to sue their fans.
But one thing that disturbs me the most is your "etc." What the heck do you mean with that? I know what it stands for, but I don't see what follows in your list. Is it "Pop-hiphop-r&b-rap-chiptune"? Is it "Metal-rock-classical-emo"?

Blazenwizard said:
Araxiel_1911 said:
I I just can't stand hip-hop/rap (that garbage) and most pop. More specificly I follow everyting that goes in direction Metal. But that does not mean I don't love OST (Movies and Games).
and unfortunately there are those like this gentleman who's musical ignorance is on display.
Being an avid gamer and a hip-hop fan I've often heard "rap is crap" which is quite a silly statement to make
You have to read what I'm writing and not read waht you want to read. There's a diffrence between you're absolut "rap is crap" and my "I don't like rap. I think rap is crap"
Blazenwizard said:
when they only base that opinion on the most popular talentless people and refuse to go beneath the surface to find the true artist.
Now why should I go deeper in a topic that I don't like and don't care for in the first place? I don't like the concept of rap. I'm not a great fan of lyrics no matter where. A genre that is solely defined through and by it's lyrics is not something that I can and will be interested in nor will I find it entertaining nor do I find the rap-culture great.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Isn't a lack of discussion more indicative of musical diversity? After all, if everyone'd listen to the same genre, you'd expect a lot more discussion and suggesting of specific bands in genre.

Generally there's less discussion if people are listening to very diverse things, as you can't really talk music with somebody who doesn't like anything you like.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
You want some musical diversity, do you?
[/spoiler=New rave]
Oh man, that took SO long to put together.

Anyway, I feel it's safe to say this is the most musical diversity I've ever seen on the Escapist. And these are just the bands I listen to. I'm sure there's even more to be found from other users.

Just 'cause we normally talk about a select few, doesn't mean we aren't diverse! I do very much support discussing more than just a few genres here, though.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
2QUAR3D said:
Cheery Lunatic said:
Well (generally speaking), they hate anything that's not metal or an anime ost. Rap requires no talent. Anyone who likes pop is braindead.

I mean, I love the Escapist and everything, but this is like my biggest pet peeve about the place. :(
What about people with a fine interest in Classical, Baroque and Romantic period music like myself? Are we part of your pet peeve?
No you people are quite awesome actually.
I myself love instrumental music. I play the piano and violin myself.
Chopin is my favorite.

Malo_Tux

Dec 23, 2010
I don't enjoy J-Pop because it is too... bubbly? I don't know exactly how to describe it... I am more of a J-Rock type of guy.

jonoortrev

Apr 21, 2011
bahumat42 said:
jonoortrev said:
bahumat42 said:
UM NO
seriously look at the dozens of top music in games thread, tis full of classical music. Infact on a whole id say the sites pretty accepting other than certain genres (rap gets a bad rap round here, and i cant stand dubstep, but the later isnt really music)
erm...
Dubstep originally started as an experimental genre first championed by magazines like Wiretapper (the ones that love both John Cage and Sunn O)) amongst others) before evolving into a dance music genre than championed by such places like Radio 1 and mixmag. So expecting it to sound conventional is simply silly. You should expect like with any genre of anything (games, books, music, opera, films) there is good examples and bad examples of everything, and simply basing your argument on what you've been shown by say the radio (whilst I'm assuming here, statements that are 'the latter isn't really music' doesn't show any actual thought being put into them) is definitely stupid, is the best thing you've heard something you've been played on the radio because a PR company has paid them to play it or is something you've found yourself by looking for things that sound like something you'd like?

Also as a point, Edvard Grieg is classed as Romantic classical msuic, so is Dvoøák. Yet if you used either one of those two composers on their own to describe the whole genre you'd most likely get taken around the back and shot, so why do people feel the need to write off entire genres due to one or even a few artists?
I dont expect it to sound conventional, i listen to a wide variety of music and applaud truly innovstive works such as gorillaz and various low end remixers like soratik. I expect however if a band has the balls to step up to another bands music, to you know actually improve it, rather than slowing it down and adding a dreary wibble wobble over the top. Its lazy music making which evokes no emotional reaction or inspires no physical movement (see moshing,grinding,ballroom etc) With such a basic lack of purpose it just falls flat every time i encounter it. (people recommend me stuff all the times trying to convert me, primarily because they know i have been very open to other genres).

It only serves to worsen music it rips off and that annoys me. (i have spent several long and tiring hours in dubstep themed clubs in my life due to the friends i run with so its not like i haven't given it a fair shake, its just unimpressive.
16 bit - twice, if you aren't smiling and nodding yourself to sleep with the incredibly well balanced mix of tones and hooks then all hope is lost! ps. this would never get played in a club, don't trust club music to be an example of a genre, as it'll always be rhythmically driven not melodically driven.

pps. I've got to watch a mosh pit break out to Borgore, it was HILARIOUS.

zephae

Aug 10, 2011
TheJesus89 said:
Why is it you escapees don't follow music like you follow video games, and to a lesser extent, movies?
Well, I'm certain I don't follow video games like others here, but I've just never had much of an exploratory nature when it comes to music, which is a shame because that means I've had to pretty much piggy-back other people's tastes. Thankfully, I've lived around plenty of audiophiles so I've been able to experience a wide variety of music by circumstance. I also remain open to all types of music, even styles I hate, because there's always that one exception you can find that will allow you to bridge the gap with other listeners of different tastes.

I follow TV the most out of all types of media. I have a hard time sitting through most movies by myself, and few people I know share my appreciation of documentaries, so I'm always up to go out for a movie with some friends, but episodic TV is what really ends up grabbing my interest. That might change if I had a Netflix account, but...

zephae

Aug 10, 2011
Phenakist said:
NeutralMunchHotel said:
Phenakist said:
So, us preferring real music over computer generated soulless noise is a bad thing?

What is this I don't even.
Out of interest, what do you consider real music and what do you consider soulless noise?

I see this dichotomy in a lot of people and I really don't understand it. How can you say that The Sugar Hill Gang is soulless? And if you make that exception, then you start opening up the door to ever more exceptions in those categories. I also have to ask if "pop-hiphop-r&b-rap etc." would include funk?

It's the same with House and electronica. Sure, there's a lot of crap to be had and I usually am not a fan of popular music, but you'd be hard-pressed to say something like this is soulless: (to me, that's practically classical re-imagined in electronic form)

IMO, an instrument is an instrument whether it's a guitar, your vocal chords, or a computer. What matters is if you can put those sounds together in an emotionally compelling way.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I actually find myself to enjoy alot of punk and ska type music more than most genere's

TFielding

Apr 12, 2010
I mostly listen to Johnny Cash and Sinatra plus a smattering of 40's and 50's music. I believe the reason is that the music you mentioned is our common ground. If I started talking about how Sinatra is the greatest musician ever, I would get two people to agree, twenty people to ask who Frank Sinatra is, and the rest to disagree. It's more fun to talk about music that everyone knows.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I like lot's of different things. Metal, rock, jazz, classical, j-pop, even the occasional country song.

I dunno why this forum is so obsessed with metal, but I guess it's just an easy genre to discuss.

headbanger97

Mar 3, 2010
As a guy where my name says it all, I felt like I should pipe in.
Just because a lot of us on the escapist listen to metal does not mean that's all we listen to. Juxtaposition is what can make music awesome so listening to different genres of music helps broaden perspective. While metal and hard rock is most certainly my favorite genres, that does not mean that is all I listen to, want to know whats on my ipod right now besides metal? folk and bluesc. Why? because its good and it makes those heavy songs sound oh so much heavier in comparison.
As for rap and pop.... I think we just don't like it because many people such as myself find no talent involved in those genres. They all sound the same and just aren't that interesting to me.
Also if all your songs revolve around getting "Bitches" (why devalue a person?) and money, I seriously question your moral values.
OK I am going to stop, now I am just ranting.