Does anyone else feel bad when their troops in RTS games die?

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
The only greater connection I feel is when I lose a unit that is fully upgraded, one of a kind or some elite that has survived many battles. Mostly the only reason for that is because they are kick arse compared to their normal counterparts.

darthsmily

Feb 21, 2008
Not good to have a conscious when playing any sort of game that involves people under your control.
But my answer is no, not a thing because I am always usually to busy wishing the textures looked better.

Kuroma

Nov 13, 2008
I hate losing untis in DOW, Pikmin, WCIII, or a Fire Emblem game. Anything else and I giggle at their death animations.

Yami Blade

Sep 26, 2008
It depends on the game. If its a relatively large scale then a large number of losses makes me feel bad but the odd unit isnt too bad. Games where everyone has a personality though, like fire emblem, I always try to save all my team

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Im supprised nobody has said it yet but
Zofia from russian side of Red alert 2 talking about conscripts said:
Oh and do not worry about them commander there are many more
I have an odd relationship with my troops the ground level stuff I really couldnt care less about; its their purpose to die to further the cause. Higher level units that I can see (ones that arn't parts of squads like commandos) I tend to get more attached too whether this is because they are no longer faceless or because they cost more is up for discussion.

This may explain why I play the "bad guys" more frequently; Nod, Soviets, Chaos. Also as a side note a lot of DoW armies actualy encourage you to throw troops away; imperial guard are expendable, chaos just chuck heretics at stuff and space marines say things like "the fallen shall be forever remembered" or "glory to the first man to die".

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
I get sad if I name them. Like that time I accidentally nuked Stan the Milatary Man.

*sniff* Rest in peace, Stan.

Rest in peace.

GenHellspawn

Jan 1, 2008
Well, one time in Coh, when 6 of my vet-3 Grenadier squads got completely owned in a strafing run with no survivors, I yelled in a pillow at the top of my voice for about 5 good seconds. Then I punched the pillow. Does that count?

Deathguy3

Nov 4, 2008
No. Put one problem is that I am a complete and utter pussy. The last game I won was in DoW. My opponent began copying the "Lucky Punk" thing and I wiped his base clean just after he finished. Usually I turtle. I worked once when I made the last opponent quit after his got bored of Flayed One spam. That day rocked hard.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Kuroma said:
I hate losing untis in DOW, Pikmin, WCIII, or a Fire Emblem game. Anything else and I giggle at their death animations.
It's a tad more important in Fire Emblem than WC3/DoW and possibly Pikmin though I haven't played it. If you units die in Fire Emblem they never ever ever ever come back. You permanently had that person killed and they will never again offer their combat expertise to your fights or their insight for your story. I won't let anyone in my Fire Emblem games die. If they do I turn the game off and restart chapter. Dammit, I'll pull all 30 or so characters through to the very end of the story just to get their own paragraph epilogue!

(And the reason I didn't mention FE before this is that it's a TBS, not RTS ;D)

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
I feel bad when my Elves die in BFME II - they would have lived forever if not for me pushing them into the skirmish.

'course, if you use fully equipped Mirkwood Elves, it's rarely a problem. Ka-pwing!!!

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
only when i make them do somthing completly stupid and don't realize it until its to late

Nathan A.

Apr 13, 2008
Scorched_Cascade said:
I have an odd relationship with my troops the ground level stuff I really couldnt care less about; its their purpose to die to further the cause. Higher level units that I can see (ones that arn't parts of squads like commandos) I tend to get more attached too whether this is because they are no longer faceless or because they cost more is up for discussion.

This may explain why I play the "bad guys" more frequently; Nod, Soviets, Chaos. Also as a side note a lot of DoW armies actualy encourage you to throw troops away; imperial guard are expendable, chaos just chuck heretics at stuff and space marines say things like "the fallen shall be forever remembered" or "glory to the first man to die".
It's kind of interesting that you feel that DoW units are expendable -- when I played it, I tended to feel the opposite, especially for the imperial guard. From a resource availability and gameplay standpoint, they really are expendable... But I tend to turtle pretty hardcore as IG, since I still feel bad for sending hordes of men to their deaths, even if I have loads of resources to call in reinforcements.

Come to think of it, I feel the same way when I play the 40k table top game -- I think the appeal of these games is that you can pretend to be an actual commander of great armies... but with great power over the armies comes great responsibility to the pretend families of the pretend soldiers.

It's nice to see some discussion on this topic. I think that games could be a lot better if developers could really find a way to make RTS players connect with their troops. It adds another dimension to the tactical gameplay when you actually care about preserving your troops, instead of just meeting objectives at any cost.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Nathan A. said:
Scorched_Cascade said:

It's kind of interesting that you feel that DoW units are expendable -- when I played it, I tended to feel the opposite, especially for the imperial guard. From a resource availability and gameplay standpoint, they really are expendable... But I tend to turtle pretty hardcore as IG, since I still feel bad for sending hordes of men to their deaths, even if I have loads of resources to call in reinforcements.

Come to think of it, I feel the same way when I play the 40k table top game -- I think the appeal of these games is that you can pretend to be an actual commander of great armies... but with great power over the armies comes great responsibility to the pretend families of the pretend soldiers.

It's nice to see some discussion on this topic. I think that games could be a lot better if developers could really find a way to make RTS players connect with their troops. It adds another dimension to the tactical gameplay when you actually care about preserving your troops, instead of just meeting objectives at any cost.

With imperial guard? The other races I can understand (I.e eldar where they constantly moan about having to fight/die)but guardsmen? Their commisars get an execute command to inspire the rest they are that expendable but then again I do see your point and I do concede that I don't like it when they all morale break and run but other than that I play them like grist to the mill.

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
Yeah, a lot of the time I'll take my wounded units and hide them in a corner or something so they don't wind up dying later on. I did this quite a bit for a while with Warcraft III, until I realised that I had tons of extra resources and I could just keep pumping out more.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Well, it kinda depends. In Dawn of War, I'd always be very protective of my Commander units. They would always be the ones that I'd feel bad about losing. Well, them and Space Marine Grey Knights. Actually, I'd always use the Grey Knights to act as a bodyguard for the Commander. Anyway, most other units I thought of as "redshirt" characters anyway, do I didn't really care if they died.