Does anyone else hate their job?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I hate my job. I've only been there 2 months, but it's kind of a crappy environment. Everybody just complains all the time, especially the guy who's training me. Everybody is an idiot except for him, apparently, but every mistake he makes has a perfectly reasonable excuse behind it. He sucks at training too. He's a firm believer in spontaneous knowledge, and also expects me to be a mind reader to tell when he wants me to do something myself and to do it exactly the way he would have done, or whether he just wants to do it himself. I wish he would just say what he wants me to do and when, rather than just expecting me to guess. It feels like I'm always wrong, no matter what I do.

It especially sucks because it pays about twice as much as my old job (which I also hated, but a little less) and advances me down this career path I've stumbled into, but I hate it.

So, does anybody else hate the place they work?

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
The trick is to just watch and copy what your co workers are doing. Most jobs tell you that they will train you, but in reality most bosses are horrible at teaching and kinda expect you to do things without orders. If you make good money, then start saving up, make other passive income, and perhaps move to another place.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I'm dropping out of grad school mainly because I hate my research assistantship. They give me one chickenshit assignment to work on that takes me a couple hours or less. About once a month. The rest of the month is complete dead time. I can tell my supervisor feels bad about it, but he's an engineer and I'm more of a specialized kind of data processor, so he doesn't really have a clue about making up assignments for me and suggests I try to make up my own. Which, I'm not great at.

I got a buddy who graduated with his undergrad at the same time as me. He wanted to do the same things as me (aerial surveys). I thought I'd need a master's to get into that sub-field without work experience. He got a job and in the space of 9 months he's been transferred into doing exactly that. Made me realize I'm wasting my fucking time sitting around in the research lab not doing any work and burning out on classes.

I'm actually in the middle of job searching at the moment. Had an interview yesterday. They're my top choice, but I'm still fishing around for other offers until if they make one. It's some cool stuff, and they don't expect me to come into the job knowing anything cuz it's so specialized (hydrographic surveying, or, scanning stuff that's underwater) that if you have no prior in-field experience, it isn't possible to have it. Everybody who comes into it has to be trained from the ground up. So I'm hoping I don't get stuck with a bad trainer, but I have good vibes from the folks I interviewed with and their focus on mentoring.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Plenty of aspects that I dislike, but "hate?" No, not really.

Jobs I've hated include car washing and telemarketing, both of which were soul crushing in different ways. In comparison, libraries aren't too bad.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I like my work environment for the most part and some of the crew are really great. But the work is mind numbing... Being a cashier at a hardware store blows. I want more fulfilling conversations and time with customers if I have to interact with them at all, not 30-60 second interactions that only qualify for the repeated script and nothing more. It's soul sucking. I can only do so much to "make someone's day" by "being positive" and all that when it's someone I'll likely never talk to again and will absolutely never remember.

I feel pretty miserable about it, honestly

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I hated my last job, but my current one...well, lets just say that I get paid to sleep. Really.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
I hate my job. I've only been there 2 months, but it's kind of a crappy environment. Everybody just complains all the time, especially the guy who's training me. Everybody is an idiot except for him, apparently, but every mistake he makes has a perfectly reasonable excuse behind it. He sucks at training too. He's a firm believer in spontaneous knowledge, and also expects me to be a mind reader to tell when he wants me to do something myself and to do it exactly the way he would have done, or whether he just wants to do it himself. I wish he would just say what he wants me to do and when, rather than just expecting me to guess. It feels like I'm always wrong, no matter what I do.
One would think that being an internet denizen would have prepared you for this level of negativity and narcissism.

What is your current job?

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Drathnoxis said:
So, does anybody else hate the place they work?
Short Answer: Yes.
Long Answer: https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/download/pdf/Capital-Volume-I.pdf

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Seanchaidh said:
Long Answer: https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/download/pdf/Capital-Volume-I.pdf
I'm confused - are you saying you hate your job because of capitalism, or that it's your job to study Marxist works?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Hawki said:
Seanchaidh said:
I'm confused - are you saying you hate your job because of capitalism, or that it's your job to study Marxist works?
He's saying that work is meant to be hated because the working class is inherently indentured to the capitalists.

Y'know. Commie crap.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I work at a small accountancy firm and, in all, it's not a bad place to work. We can be frustratingly behind the times when it comes to technology, though. The most egregious example is that many managers will only work with paper, which means everything needs to be printed off, bound together in a folder for review, and then scanned back onto our system when it's done so it can be electronically filed. A faint silver lining of this coronavirus thing is that management are finally open to computerising some of this with working from home in mind.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
I used to, back when I worked at Wendy's. My current job is much more comfortable and reasonable, but that's partly because years of experience have helped me get less heated when my customers are idiots.

That won't change wherever you are, but I can't think of anyone at my current job who makes it more difficult than it needs to be. At Wendy's our general manager was a holy terror for many of us, but that's the only time that I've seriously found a co-worker to be a problem. In fact just today, I had several calls where it felt like I'd made that person's day by helping them with stuff.

I mean, if I could not have to go to work that would rock, but... yeah. Bills to pay.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
bluegate said:
Drathnoxis said:
One would think that being an internet denizen would have prepared you for this level of negativity and narcissism.

What is your current job?
It's a little different when you can't just close the tab and never talk to that person again :p

I'm a millwright at a factory.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I don?t hate my job in the strictest sense but I resent that I was shunted into it as the result of mergers and changes. That and a lot of what it is was outside my formal education and learned skill sets and frankly I?ve struggled ever since. In fairness though, it?s not management?s fault I?m stupid so.......yeah

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I quite like it. Pays well, isn't particularly hard or stressful, leaves me plenty of free time.
The absolute worst job I ever had was ushering at a multiplex. I say "ushering" but that was just part of it. Really you work around the clock at Mach speed picking up trash and swabbing spilt coke from all 12 theatres in the 5 minutes between screenings for 7 hours 30 minutes (not 8 hours or they'd have to pay you full time) with maybe 2 breaks all day and then you get home like 1 AM. And the most miserable part of it is taking out the tons of dripping smelly garbage produced by thousands of moviegoers all day.
Don't recommend.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
If the Litmus test is "would you still do it if you weren't being paid", then no, I bloody well would not.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Batou667 said:
If the Litmus test is "would you still do it if you weren't being paid", then no, I bloody well would not.
There's no job on the planet that would pass that test. Anybody with any sense that had to do a job for free would much rather either do a job that actually paid or something they find actually enjoyable instead given the option (for the record, I'm counting volunteer work as the latter). There's a big difference between liking your job and liking something you do for fun, that being the former is something you'd stop doing if you didn't need or want money that you just don't particularly mind doing, the latter is something you'd do entirely of your own volition.

Jan 27, 2011
I feel supremely fortunate to have a job I love, at a game studio I massively respect, with colleagues who are all pretty dang nice, for a boss who sincerely appreciates my work and talents.

And that cares enough about the employees that he went "Alright guys, we're gonna work remotely for 2 weeks. I understand that there will be a loss of productivity, but these are serious circumstances. I don't want any of you getting sick, least of all our two vulnerable people".

Moving out to a whole new city, away from everyone I know actually feels seriously worth it.

Going to this after my agonizing hotel-reservation-help call center job of last summer is like night and day. God I hated that job. :(

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
love my job! it's well paid and I get to listen to audiobooks all day or podcasts

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I mostly enjoy my job, except that I've had to take on an increasing admin burden, which I don't enjoy and that I feel is preventing me from developing the aspects of my job I enjoy. I mostly enjoy it because my colleagues are helpful and pleasant. The main downside is that I have an awesomely shitty commute (when I'm not working from home after a disease outbreak lockdown).