Does anyone else not like Harry Potter?

hashtag

Oct 30, 2011
When I read the books in Grade 4 and then finished the series in Grade 6, I thought they were the best things EVAR! But a couple years ago I got a nostalgia boner and decided to re-read the entire series and I thought it was tripe. Now, earlier this week, I decided to give it another try, convinced that I was simply blinded by the lack of comedy, and I am sad to say I thought they were worse than before.

I don't know why. It could be the plot holes in the 3rd book (they could've used the time turner to go back in time and kill Voldermort), it could be all the fans surrounding the series and are very annoying, it could be the fact that in the first book I wanted to beat the bitchy out of Hermione. It could be many things.

So what I want to know is, does anyone else not like this series? Give reasons to why/why not.

EDIT: Just saw another Harry Potter thread ninja'd. -_-

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
First I'll admit, I've never actually read a single page of a Harry Potter book, so take this as you will. But it looks really mediocre and boring to me, as far as I can tell from the couple of the movies I've seen. I have no interest at all in reading the books, which baffles my parents, who think it's right up my alley since I like to read sci-fi and fantasy stuff.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I was surprised how much i liked the books, considering I didnt read them when I was a kid

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I am movie guy, not a book guy.

SOOOO I think the films are nothing special, they aren't bad but they could be better.

I am no expert on if a person is a good actor, if the lighting is good, the sound is spot on or the script is decent ... what I do know is if I enjoy a film or not and in my rather worthless opinion they were just a very slow burn with very little action, funny bits or magic.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Well, you have to remember that it's 12 and 13 year old kids doing this stuff. I mean I would've done that, but most people that age don't consider assassination as a feasable option.

AlphaEcho

Jun 16, 2010
Oh look, one of those threads where the OP thinks out of seven billion people, he is the only one who thinks something.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Book 5 was a bit boring, Books 4 and 6 were my favorites and book 7 was the worst and a bit of a disappointment but needed.

movie wise 3 is my favorite and 4 is the disappointment, since all the good parts were cut.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I think the series is blown out of proportion and is too popular, but I still enjoyed the books. Movies were very meh.
AlphaEcho said:
Oh look, one of those threads where the OP thinks out of seven billion people, he is the only one who thinks something.
Fukkin this.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Let me be the first to say, you aren't allowed to time travel to change anything at all, cause it's really dangerous, you just let little girls have extra time to run aorund their school and...oh...

I will say that the character of Harry is a bit annoying. He gets the benefit of being the chosen one, inheriting two fortunes and being naturally good at flying. That's the easy way of being a hero.

Hermione works hard, she's responsible, thinks things through, and gives good advice. She cares about the house elves when nobody else does. That's the proper way of being a hero/ine. Ron and Harry don't do their homework cause they can't be bothered and know they can get her to do it for them. Harry is forever ignoring her advice, yelling at her till she cries and then fucking up cause she was totally right.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I tried to read the first book because everyone I know reads them. Or damn close at any rate. I got to Chapter 3. It was around the time he released the snake at the zoo. I was so bored, I put the book down and vowed never to read any of them. Of course, I was about 17 or so at the time, so that might have contributed to it.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Lots of people don't like Harry Potter. So no, you're not the only one.

I consider myself fortunate to be in the happy middle. I read the books, and I liked them. I watched the movies and thought they were ok.

I'm fairly neutral towards Harry Potter. I like it, but I don't freak out about it.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
Nope, you're not alone. I tried reading it... didn't work. Tried watching it - didn't work either. What else am I supposed to do? It just looks so... Cheesy and corny, and just - I don't know - boring? No that's not the word. Predictable - that's the one. Wich kind of makes it boring as well, I guess.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
It's not that I don't like Harry Potter, I just have no interest in the book series, and the movies too. I don't know why because I love fantasy, but for some reason this doesn't make me want to read the books. Very strange.

I will say their fans are slightly annoying when you tell them you have no desire to read them, my GOD those people need to chill out.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
Haven't read them, have no current inclination to do so, far too busy learning crappy magic tricks and mastering the ancient art of juggling.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
You're not the only one. I only read the first book, and IMHO, it is actually very poorly written. I kinda understand why kids like it (because its a fucking kids book) but honestly have no idea why adults all jumped on the band wagon. Considering there are so many other intelligent (a term that can not be applied to the Potter books) well written genre books out there.

hashtag

Oct 30, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Hermione works hard, she's responsible, thinks things through, and gives good advice. She cares about the house elves when nobody else does.
That's actually another thing that bugged me. If they can use magic, why fuck over the house elves?

kaioxs

Sep 17, 2008
Well living in England and growing up when the books were coming out i naturally loved them. i can still read them with happy nostalgia. But i am now a literature student and yeah even for a children's book they're pretty shit.The films were definitely worse. But overall i still cant say i dislike harry potter its just one of dem tings. HOWEVER, there is one glaring hole nobody ever seems to point out. throughout the entire series the muggles are portrayed as weak and defenceless before the power of dark wizards. Fair enough you can do some funky shit with magic but all your death eater problems could be solved with one SAS squad. see how fast you can say avada kedavra with an mp5 in your face.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Considering the audience and author, I wouldnt be surprised if not everyone liked them. I know people that dont like LotR (personally I couldnt care about them) and that includes the hobbit.

But no. There's 6+ billion people in the world. youre never the only one.