Does Crysis 2 seem a little bit... unoriginal?

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
xXGeckoXx said:
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
SamuelT said:
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
SamuelT said:
I think it's perfectly made for its function; to draw people into buying the full game. CoD audiences will go "Sweet, this is like CoD." and less multiplayer-oriented people will buy it anyways, since the suit has full function when in single player, where there is no balancing needed.

Seriously. Wait for the full release before stamping it with a title.
Yes, but I still liked the original crysis multiplayer.
Cool. Perhaps you should wait until you get the full multiplayer then. It's just one small map, with one game mode and a small portion of unlockables.
I don't care about the map. I just don't like how crysis transformed itself into modern warfare with aliens.
You know Ghost Recon Future Soldier. I wished so much that that would be first person (having no previous knowledge of ghost recon games). When I learnt what the Ghost Recon series was I was put off but crisis 2 looks to be the answer.

This is not modern warfare in modern warfare you never had to worry about invisible dudes or guys slide tackling you. There is simply more to it than Call of Duty.
Ghost recon is a 3rd person series. But however you mentioned tactics in your above comment, but I assure you they weren't that heavily incorperated in this one. It may seem that way sense the game differs from run and shoot, run and shoot, but the original's online was much more tactic, strategy, and teamwork based. Now, it diffired from a normal FPS at the time, but it was still exelent in my mind. you had to take in every account of the enemy's force in the original, and learn there strength's and weaknesses.

dogmachines

Mar 24, 2009
The multiplayer seems like a little bit of a CoD knockoff, the suit makes it feel very different though. The single player campaign looks like it will be a bit better as far as originality, just judging by the setup. The story needs to be stronger than the first though, I think the suit and graphics are all that held it up.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
tellmeimaninja said:
There isn't a shred of originality. There wasn't much in the first game either. But that's not a problem with me. Low originality doesn't bother me much.

What does bother me is that this game looks like it hopes to be a bigger pile of shit than the first game was.
I would like to punch you in the face, but then again, every bit of me is compelled to give you a hug...

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
tellmeimaninja said:
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
tellmeimaninja said:
There isn't a shred of originality. There wasn't much in the first game either. But that's not a problem with me. Low originality doesn't bother me much.

What does bother me is that this game looks like it hopes to be a bigger pile of shit than the first game was.
I would like to punch you in the face, but then again, every bit of me is compelled to give you a hug...
Why the punch and why the display of some emotion other than hatred that I do not recognize?
The punch is for bashing on crysis... The hug... you just seem like you need one. XD

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
dathwampeer said:
It just looks like Halo to me.

It might be fun. But I don't think I'll bother shelling out for it.
Agreed. I never said it looked bad, I just said it didn't look memorable. It makes me a bit angry because Crysis can be so much more than that rag tag weekend shooter to draw the public away from big titles for a week or so.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I asked a buddy of mine if he had checked out the demo. His response was "No, haven't we played enough Halo?"

dogmachines

Mar 24, 2009
Kukakkau said:
It's call of duty with super jump, stealth and a juggernaut you can pop when ever you want

I'd heard the comparison before trying the demo and tried to ignore it, but my god it is too similar it isn't even funny.

5 weapon classes - assault, smg, shotgun, lmg, sniper - SAME
3 ability slots/perks - SAME
controls - SAME
dog tag streaks - radar at 3, orbital strike at 5, gunship at 7 - SAME
customized dog tag - SAME
weapon attachments - SAME
killcam AND final killcam - SAME

Honestly I could go on - the only thing I really found fun/original was the impressive ways to move around the map with speed and jump. Other than that it's a cyber suit CoD
Weapon classes and attachments aren't really CoD ripoffs, those classes have been used in nearly every tactical shooter ever. Weapon attachments too, it's been done so much by other games it isn't really copying any one game. The kill streaks have the tweak that you have to collect the dog tag, basically making you get up close to get the reward. It takes a little bit out of sniping when they do that. Of course, if you kill a guy, then die, you can still go collect that tag next life. Killcam is copy paste for the most part, and the kill streaks themselves are so similar it isn't funny.

It basically takes the base CoD multiplayer and throws some Reach into it, plus it's own element with the nanosuit. A copy of other games it may be, but it also plays pretty good. I'd just like to see a map with vehicles.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Ossian said:
Original Crysis multiplayer: ::Spawn::
bring up buy screen... hmmm, I want a SCAR with sniper scope plus silencer, I think I'm going to do some sniping so I can save for a freaking Tank.
::walks out of base::
honk honk, someone wants you as a gunner in a humvee. ::Rides around in Humvee shooting at random people::
Gets up on a huge hill, cloaks, snipes some noobs. VTOL comes back and blows you to kingdom come.
::Respawn::
Oh crap! they are rushing your base with a nuke! You buy a bazooka and run to the walls.
Fire fire fire, you blow up the tank and save the day.
You are pro.

Crysis 2 Multiplayer:
::Spawns::
Walks around for a bit sees another player.
::Iron sights::
Fire fire fire he dies.
::Dude walks around the corner and sees you::
Fire fire fire you die.
::Spawn::
You get shot and die
::Spawn::
Sees a guy fire fire fire you kill him.
::Alt-F4::

IMHO

hehe . . . I think that about sums it up, lol.

But - I can't draw full conclusions until the final product is released. It's still a demo - MP at that; devs have been notorious for cutting things out (i.e. disabling) for a demo release.

I'm sure if there was a PC demo, though, it woulda been cracked open and examined by now by the modding communities.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
dogmachines said:
Kukakkau said:
It's call of duty with super jump, stealth and a juggernaut you can pop when ever you want

I'd heard the comparison before trying the demo and tried to ignore it, but my god it is too similar it isn't even funny.

5 weapon classes - assault, smg, shotgun, lmg, sniper - SAME
3 ability slots/perks - SAME
controls - SAME
dog tag streaks - radar at 3, orbital strike at 5, gunship at 7 - SAME
customized dog tag - SAME
weapon attachments - SAME
killcam AND final killcam - SAME

Honestly I could go on - the only thing I really found fun/original was the impressive ways to move around the map with speed and jump. Other than that it's a cyber suit CoD
Weapon classes and attachments aren't really CoD ripoffs, those classes have been used in nearly every tactical shooter ever. Weapon attachments too, it's been done so much by other games it isn't really copying any one game. The kill streaks have the tweak that you have to collect the dog tag, basically making you get up close to get the reward. It takes a little bit out of sniping when they do that. Of course, if you kill a guy, then die, you can still go collect that tag next life. Killcam is copy paste for the most part, and the kill streaks themselves are so similar it isn't funny.

It basically takes the base CoD multiplayer and throws some Reach into it, plus it's own element with the nanosuit. A copy of other games it may be, but it also plays pretty good. I'd just like to see a map with vehicles.
Agreed on weapon attachments - however the only ones I saw in the demo were the exact same ones from CoD4 with no original ones added in. And there is a perk to collect tags instantly on the kill, kind of removing that idea.

But yeah that's a good summary of how it plays

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Super Toast said:
Crysis 1 was hardly a bastion of innovation.
A genre can only be innovated so much until it reaches a point where you can't innovate anymore. First person shooters are just what they are - shooters. You have a gun and you shoot. Crysis did have innovations that made it quite unique but it couldn't stray away from what FPS genre is all about and that's shooting things from first person perspective. Nanosuit was innovative enough, weapon customization on the fly was innovative. Graphics were an essential part of gameplay experience which is something I'd like to see more in games. Good graphics in Crysis weren't just so the game would look pretty, they added to the intensity. Unlike most modern shooters it was set on a tropical island and it featured all kinds of vehicle sections. Sure those things aren't new in FPS games, but the execution is what matters and Crysis did a good job at that.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
ImprovizoR said:
Super Toast said:
Crysis 1 was hardly a bastion of innovation.
A genre can only be innovated so much until it reaches a point where you can't innovate anymore. First person shooters are just what they are - shooters. You have a gun and you shoot. Crysis did have innovations that made it quite unique but it couldn't stray away from what FPS genre is all about and that's shooting things from first person perspective. Nanosuit was innovative enough, weapon customization on the fly was innovative. Graphics were an essential part of gameplay experience which is something I'd like to see more in games. Good graphics in Crysis weren't just so the game would look pretty, they added to the intensity. Unlike most modern shooters it was set on a tropical island and it featured all kinds of vehicle sections. Sure those things aren't new in FPS games, but the execution is what matters and Crysis did a good job at that.
I thought Crysis was a damn fine game. I'm just saying that criticizing the sequel for its lack of innovation is a bit odd. I admit, the change in setting was disappointing. I've seen enough war-torn cities to last a lifetime.

thespanner

Feb 3, 2011
octafish said:
So what no "Maximum Strength"? That isn't Crysis, then.
Not really.

In singleplayer there are four "modes". Armor is pretty much as it was. Infiltration is pretty much the same as cloak in the original. Tactical mode is an overblown way of saying "using the binoculars". Lastly power mode is a combination of strength and speed from the original, but it's not really a separate mode. Sprint in any mode and you get powered sprint. Do jumps in certain contexts in any mode and you will get a powered jump.

So basically there are just two modes, armor and cloak. Crytek claim they reduced the modes because in the original players tended to favour two basic playstyles, stealth and tanking. This sounds plausible, but most people I've seen discussing the move agree that really it's catering to the console crowd, both dumbing down the gameplay and compromising its diversity by forcing it to be designed backwards starting from the limited buttons available on console controllers.

Cevat Yerli can say whatever he likes, but making powered sprint or powered jumps available in any mode completely removes the tactical thought required of a player who has to choose between cloaking but having limited movement, or sprinting but having much less armour, or having protection from damage but being exposed and able to move comparatively slowly, etc. Many players weren't using all the modes (not that they have to, it's supposed to be about choice right?), but instead of working on balancing the modes better they dumbed them down for the ADD crowd.

Multiplayer's a little different since you're in tiny maps where everyone has nanosuits - they have to limit you to two abilities (which you get to choose) to even provide a semblance of balance.