Does Final Fantasy XIV have a shot against World of Warcraft?

seitori

Feb 12, 2008
Anyone think that this popular IP has a shot at chipping into market share with a new MMO, or is it doomed to fail?

Edit: Before posting, please check out the information provided by Square Enix in their June 4 press conference. Most notably:

- Final Fantasy XIV is not PS3 exclusive, it has been confirmed for PC, and will have a worldwide simultaneous release
- Square Enix is considering other platforms, including Xbox 360
- The game will take place in a new world but will have some similarities to Vana'diel

One of many links to coverage of the conference here [http://e3.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696163/E3-2009-Square-Enix-Press-Conference-Tons-Of-Final-Fantasy-XIV-Details-Revealed.html].

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Gxas said:
Final Fantasy 14 will be an MMO?

Proof please?
It was announced at E3, I believe. I tried hunting down the article, but I couldn't find it. It's in the wikipedia entry [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_fantasy_14], though.

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
Sorry but WoW has 11 million people or something like that. Taking that down is like trying on the Death Star with a stick and some yogurt. Its not going to happen...

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
BudZer said:
Gxas said:

Proof please?
It's called Final Fantasy XIV online in the trailer. It's an MMO.

Anyway, I do think it will challenge WoW for a short while, but I'm not sure if it will have a very lasting effect.
UltimatheChosen said:
Gxas said:

Proof please?
It was announced at E3, I believe. I tried hunting down the article, but I couldn't find it. It's in the wikipedia entry [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_fantasy_14], though.
Well I'll be damned for not going back to the E3 site... makes me look like an idiot...

James Cassidy

Dec 4, 2008
seitori said:
Anyone think that this popular IP has a shot at chipping into market share with a new MMO, or is it doomed to fail?
OH GOD NO!!!

*rips face off and run screaming*

Seriously though, Final Fantasy as an MMO is always going to fail.

I am glad I as alive to see FF7 through 9 because it seems those were the last of the best FF of all time.

Seriin

Jun 4, 2009
It wont kill WoW, but you have to take note that Final Fantasy 11 is the only other MMO that has been able to hold its own against WoW for many years now. Part of that could be attributed to it debuting earlier, but that can't be all of it. I still play FFXI now, I prefer it to WoW, and I am not alone on this line of thinking.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
NOTE TO ALL: Final Fantasy XIV IS A PS3 EXCLUSIVE.

It doesn't stand a chance to reach WoW-fame, reason... Look up.

Milkatron

Jul 18, 2008
Well considering the fact that most Final Fantasy games are about taking down an evil empire (VI, VII, VIII for starters) maybe the game itself could take down an evil empire of their own. It would be funny in the gaming world.

Although I highly doubt it. WoW's fanbase are very dedicated to their game. I don't see anyone toppling it.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Curtmiester said:
Sorry but WoW has 11 million people or something like that. Taking that down is like trying on the Death Star with a stick and some yogurt. Its not going to happen...
Ironic you made a reference about Star Wars, since the only MMO that has a chance at being a WoW killer is The Old Republic.

And as much as I love WoW, I wouldn't mind that... it's BioWare.

Square? I don't see them doing anything substantial with an MMO. It's probably just like 11, but not really connected. Like, you know, all of their sequels. I've never had a huge amount of faith in Square since the Super Nintendo era ended.

Xvito said:

Nope, it's for the PC too. Check the wiki page.

But, this does bring up a good point... it won't be as easily accessible as WoW because of the graphics. I think that's what a lot of developers of MMOs don't entirely understand.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Xvito said:
Actually, it's not. It's going to be on the PC as well and S-E is apparently considering the 360 as well.

PuffTheMagicDragon

Jun 4, 2009
Curtmiester said:
hes right about that, ive been playing since release ( wow that is ) and ive found not very many other MMOs that outdo it ... i'd say it will be around for a bit but not long

off topic : hi im new ^^

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Will it take down WOW? probably not
Will it fit in it's own niche and have enough subscribers and players to keep it going for many years? More then likely

The thing is taking people away from WOW is a hard task for any company. The people who play it regularly have loads of friends and characters etc etc and to start all over on a new game with new controls, new characters, remaking guilds and friends, learning new armor and weapons, learning about all the new enemies, and all the other differences is a pretty hard sell. It would take a pretty amazing game and some pretty good marketing to get people to move. Somehow I have doubts about how much marketing square will actually do for this game compared to just letting it ride the Final Fantasy name.

Off-Topic: Welcome to the forums/escapist PuffTheMagicDragon

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Psychosocial said:
Curtmiester said:
O'rly?..

We'll just have to see about that, as soon as I've built my own Death Star.

On topic; Final Fantasy XI was pretty popular, wasn't it?
Not really. It was popular among the really hardcore people. But that was it.

FFXI had painfully long boss battles(longest boss battle: 24 hours). And it was also very easy to lose everything in FF11.

Beltaine

Oct 27, 2008
Short answer: NO

Do you want the long answer?

Seriously, though. From the teaser vid, it looks like XIV is just going to be a graphically updated XI. XI was HORRIBLE to play on a PC because of the control scheme. I can understand why they'd make XIV a PS3 exclusive.

JenXXXJen

Mar 11, 2009
No, I doubt anything'll be able to top WoW sales wise, but it's certainly not gonna fail either. Come on, it's Final Fantasy.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Xvito said:

This pretty much puts the nail in that particular coffin, PCs are more universally owned then PS3 so they'll never get the numbers. The social element I imagine works better on a PC with keyboards and skyp/teamspeak being a lot easier to use/aqquire on PCs.