does literature get pirated too?

THAC0

Aug 12, 2009
the subject of piracy is pretty well known when it comes to video games and computer software. but i was wondering if novels are also being affected by it.

books are a huge business that don't seem to be going away anytime soon, and the presence of e-readers has brought digital books into the computer world in a pretty big way, so i am sure there are electronic copies of many books floating around out there. So are publishing companies and book stores finding their products affected right along side video games, music, and movies? If so they are being pretty quiet about it.

i am an avid player of pen and paper RPGs and i know that piracy has been a hot topic for us for a while now. But we are far enough removed from the mainstream that i would forgive anyone for not hearing about it.

THAC0

Aug 12, 2009
cheshitescat said:
Does /b/ still do lithursday?
I've not seen it.

they put comic books and manga up sometime, but it seems to be pretty random.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
Most authors I know of are ether A. Dead B. Try to get a Message out with there books "so I doubt they would care as much if you download it illegally" C. Would probably give a crap.

But, books arn't the money making medium they used to be and I doubt its because of the internet. You usually watch a movie on a screen or listen to music through a device like a MP3 Player, but books are rarely read on screens.

Turbulenssi

Apr 6, 2010
I know PB used to have pirated books on the site (can't say for sure anymore since I stopped pirating games and such when I got a job, about 3 years ago and could actually afford buying stuff).

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I think with books it's different. With music, movie ect whether you buy a real copy or pirate it you're getting the same thing. With books however your getting something different if it's pirated cuz it's electronic not on paper. I think what's stopping it from being a issue is that reading from a screen for a long time really hurt your eyes so people prefer to just buy the book.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
cheshitescat said:
Does /b/ still do lithursday?
Do Loli manga scans count?

In which case, IT IS THE FAVORITE DAY OF ALL OF /b/.( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ )

OT: Yes. e-book piracy is big shit.

TheDeadSquirrel

Nov 5, 2010
No matter how technological e-readers get, it will never be the same as actually picking up the book and reading it like that. I think electronic book pirating is the least of concerns for writers and publishers.

To me, e-readers, just aren't the same, there's something about having a nice weighted, covered, fresh book in your hand.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Yes it does, it was the beginning of the end of the Twilight series. That doesn't make it acceptable though.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Many people still favor the physical paper of a book, which limits piracy. With games, music, or movies you are essentially getting data, the form of storage for said data is all that changes. With the Kindle and Nook becoming more popular, however, I wouldn't be surprised to see an increase in book piracy.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Well there is that one lady who cares while simultaneously owning a knock off Prada bag and 1800 illegally downloaded songs.

vociferocity

Jan 1, 2010
I follow some author's blogs, and yeah, book piracy is a problem. not as large a problem as music/game/movie piracy, because those mediums are sort of easier on the whole to share online, and more people are willing to pirate them, but it definitely happens.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I had classmates pirate textbooks with a photocopier. Then the student who bought the origin textbook had the audacity to return it to the bookstore claiming she'd dropped the class.

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
Off Subject:
I actually only am able to read E-Books. No idea why, but I was able to read the whole 'lore' of LOTR (pretty much everything published by Tolkien) when it was on my laptop (even fell asleep on my bed reading them, that's how much I was able to focus) but give me a paper book, and snap, my mind 'reads' the words, but they have no context. One minute they're in the Inn at, next, they're running away from the Balrog.

On Subject:
Yes, E-Books are pirated alot, and books are usually scanned. It's amazing the amount of work people will do to get a book scanned, converted in editable PDF file and uploaded on the internet...no joke.