Does the atari 2600 hold up well?

TrevorGruen

Jan 5, 2011
Im a big fan of old game systems (im the guy that still tries to beat ninja gaiden original) and wanted to know how well the classic atari 2600 holds up, since i only really know about the classics (missle defense, pac man ect) so is it still worth a play?

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
Personally I wouldn't fire up my old Atari to play those games, ooooh no.

Much rather just find better flash versions of them online, ohhhh yes.

Mind, there is something about playing the Atari that should be experianced, ooooh....

Spindleweed

Jun 14, 2009
I think it's a geek kudos thing. Unless you owned it first time round, why bother? Just emulate.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
lolz unles you have a crt tv it will look HORRIBLE.

There are probably legitimate and free better versions online for most of the games. I have a working 2600 and although I love it using it is a bit pointless now.

the spud

May 2, 2011
Yes, I found an old one in my grandfather's shed and (after tinkering with the cable cord) worked just fine and is still fun to play. The games don't really have much depth, but they are a very fun diversion.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Well, mine still works (and my 5200 as well), but it's tough to get antenna-coaxial adapters these days.

If you're talking about the games, like all video games, some hold up better than others. Classics are classic for a reason. Personally, I recommend River Raid, a slightly lesser-known title, for its very interesting experience.

Emulations and flash variants are all over the internet, I suggest starting there for a sampling.