does the Escapist name their systems/PC,s

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
I haven't really named my computers anything interesting with the exception of my netbook. It's name is Jesus McAwesome and it bears the description "can't keep a good messiah down."

darksuccubus

Jan 11, 2011
Palfreyfish said:
darksuccubus said:
Mine is called GLaDOS :3 I downloaded her quotes and replaced all windows sound files with them :3 like "file deleted" "what a horrible little machines" "welcome back, testing is available" and so on. it's pretty awesome
Wait shit you can do that? Can you point me at a tutorial? Or even just tell me where to get the files and the basics?
sure) go here - http://www.portal2sounds.com/ you can download any quote from any character, so you can make Wheatley :D to change the sounds, you'll have to convert files to wav (this can be done in Audacity for example). Finally, to change the sound files, go to control panel->hardware and sound (category view)->sound->change system sounds. There you'll see a column of different sounds, when you click any of them, you can change them. Before changing the sounds, put all your wav files somewhere safe because if you remove them, everything will revert back to windows sounds. To change the welcome theme, however, you'll have to download a special free program, unless you have windows xp. I don't remember the name of the program, so you'll have to google that.

MightyRabbit

Feb 16, 2011
I recently had to buy a cheap replacement laptop. It's an early 2000's thing running XP that black with sharp instead of rounded edges everywhere. So I called it TRON. Also, my phone is like a Blackberry desgin knockoff, but I call it Lyle because it's like a butler and Lyle sounds like a young butler name to me.

Palfreyfish

Mar 18, 2011
darksuccubus said:
Palfreyfish said:
darksuccubus said:
Mine is called GLaDOS :3 I downloaded her quotes and replaced all windows sound files with them :3 like "file deleted" "what a horrible little machines" "welcome back, testing is available" and so on. it's pretty awesome
Wait shit you can do that? Can you point me at a tutorial? Or even just tell me where to get the files and the basics?
sure) go here - http://www.portal2sounds.com/ you can download any quote from any character, so you can make Wheatley :D to change the sounds, you'll have to convert files to wav (this can be done in Audacity for example). Finally, to change the sound files, go to control panel->hardware and sound (category view)->sound->change system sounds. There you'll see a column of different sounds, when you click any of them, you can change them. Before changing the sounds, put all your wav files somewhere safe because if you remove them, everything will revert back to windows sounds. To change the welcome theme, however, you'll have to download a special free program, unless you have windows xp. I don't remember the name of the program, so you'll have to google that.
You sir, you are a fantastic gentlemen, I know what I'm doing today >:D Thank you very much :)

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008

That's what my wifi network is called >_<
I don't have a name for the laptop because it's not mine.
My computer was called Shelia though.

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
i named my computer CABAL. (computer assisted biologically augmented life-form)
complete with quotes from command and conquer: firestorm :D

my faveourate one is when is is disposing of a load of malware, i've tweaked it to say "oh, and by the way...MISSILE LAUNCH DETECTED. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" >:D

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I called my desktop Agrajag. Because I use to have an old computer that blue screen of deathed every single day I tried to use it, to which I would say "oh no not again" or something about threatening it with the scrap heap. So it seemed a fitting name to honour the old desktop, which managed to make me rage more than I though any machine could :D

EeveeElectro said:

HAHA I'm disappointed that your neighbours haven't renamed theirs "give it to me baby" and "ah ha ah ha"

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
I call mine Average Joe, because it's nothing special
okay maybe it is, I run Crysis 2 and BF3 on a Dual Core XD

darksuccubus

Jan 11, 2011
Palfreyfish said:
No one's called their computer GLaDOS? I am ashamed of you all. But yeah, take a wild guess what my computer's called? My phone and iPod are both closely related to my computer...

Here's a hint, it's not single player related.

Thinking about it, I need a companion cube shaped portable hard drive...
I did, recently posted here actually xD I also changed windows sounds to glados quotes :3

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
Right before I built my new computer I named my old one Old Faithful. It had been running strong for like 8+ years and probably could go another 8 more. I forgot if I've named my new one yet.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Code:
$ screen -list
There are screens on:
	4690.amber	(02/15/12 17:34:30)	(Detached)
	3839.brown	(06/22/11 12:24:05)	(Detached)
	14184.blond	(12/15/11 17:30:35)	(Detached)
	16059.porter	(10/23/11 20:23:49)	(Detached)
	12155.red	(10/23/11 20:17:42)	(Detached)
	4903.stout	(06/22/11 12:25:54)	(Detached)
	25519.sixpack	(12/30/11 12:20:26)	(Detached)
	20012.pony	(12/13/11 19:28:30)	(Detached)
	23766.keg	(08/10/11 08:46:45)	(Detached)
	5709.forty	(10/24/11 13:41:35)	(Detached)
Formerly in use, but not currently: Bock, Dunkle

We started using service names (like www1 or db1) internally, but they still all have real names as well.

For IRC [/chat], we had Kenny (my server), Bender, Megumi (from voting for a new server name with a several large fansub groups on the network), and Stitch

Drake666

Sep 13, 2010
My rig's called Gamma. Yeah, Alpha was my laptop (dead) and Beta my Mp3 player (lost). I look forward to Delta :)

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
EeveeElectro said:

Woah, I think I saw that network a couple of days ago. Although, it could have been spelled slightly differently: dashes instead of underscores? spaces? I'm not sure. And I don't really remember where did I see it.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I've always called my system Big Red, cuz it's a big red tower, the parts inside change but I've never had to swap cases, it's been in this case since... 2002? I think...

superstringz

Jul 6, 2010
my computer names (and disk partitions) describe their primary function. This one is internetuser, because this one has all security enabled and is designed to weather the worst that the internet can throw at me.
My other partition is called gamingrig. Its windows XP with all forms of security disabled and admin privileges always granted. It does NOT use its web browsers, only connecting to minecraft.net.

My laptop is forgetful, because it does not have a hard drive and boots from a live-cd. the USB drivers are terrible, which means that all saved data is written to a 1.44 MB 3.5" floppy thats older than I am. Its a good thing my family does not throw away old technology.

westcoast1313

Aug 31, 2009
Well my gaming rig is called Zeus and my old laptop was called Ares.

What i like me some Hellenic Gods, they are awesome!

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
I currently have:

Lady - the general workhorse (because she's slim and lady-like)
Blackbird - gaming machine (for the case colour)
Sputnik - main laptop (because he's a Toshiba Satellite)
Dame - ageing laptop (tough old girl)
Cavy - netbook (small and not terribly bright)

I don't have a theme.

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
My laptop is named Vigil, after the non-organic intelligence construct stationed on Ilos in Mass Effect.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
My main desktop is called Sol, the rest of my computers are named after various planets in the solar system. Portable storage devices are named after asteroids and comets.