Does This Magic Origins Preview Card Mean the Return of Elves?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Does This Magic Origins Preview Card Mean the Return of Elves?

A tribal preview card from Magic Origins.

Read Full Article

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I hope we get more elves, I have a selesnya lifegain deck that could always use more elves.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
We need more minotaurs, let's make it a thing already. Although Theros rotates, but Zendikar has them too.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Elf Decks are literally the most boring tribal decks to play.
T1: Mana dude
T2: 3 cost Elf-Twink
T3-T4: Spam and slam.
T5: Bomb if you didn't close or lose board.

They have more than enough...make some other tribe interesting or viable.
Weirds/Ooze, (early/mana-cheap) dragons, knights, goats...anything but more elves.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
Elf Decks are literally the most boring tribal decks to play.
T1: Mana dude
T2: 3 cost Elf-Twink
T3-T4: Spam and slam.
T5: Bomb if you didn't close or lose board.

They have more than enough...make some other tribe interesting or viable.
Weirds/Ooze, (early/mana-cheap) dragons, knights, goats...anything but more elves.
Well, admittedly, you could probably built a Knights Tribal deck... it'd just be expensive as hell and the mana-base would make you cry. And at least elves aren't as irksome as Merfolk... Stupid islandwalking bastards.

But yeah, more cheap dragons and 1/2 drop minotaurs please! And I could always use more things to use in my Ula's Temple deck!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
JaceArveduin said:
Well, admittedly, you could probably built a Knights Tribal deck... it'd just be expensive as hell and the mana-base would make you cry.
I'm working on B/W Haakon for that (Nameless Inversion = Hilarity).
I just need to find the rest of my Knight Exemplars and then...well...I need to find a way to make them efficient killers without turning it into something like a Kithkin deck.

And at least elves aren't as irksome as Merfolk... Stupid islandwalking bastards.
Hey man, I don't sass the fish-lovers because I've seen the movie Dagon.

But yeah, more cheap dragons and 1/2 drop minotaurs please! And I could always use more things to use in my Ula's Temple deck!
Huh, I have one of those in U/G. Built it mainly as an excuse to abuse Mystic Snake again.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Fuck elves, give me more good birds.
It can't be that sage and augury owls in a ninja deck are the beginning and the end of a viable "bird deck", meanwhile you have a zillion different elves to pick from to make an elf deck work.
How about ninja birds that have an effect when they come into play and have flying so they can constantly ninjutsu swap?
There is only a handful of ninjas and most good ones are black.
It can't be that ink-eyes still is the end-all highest tier hardest hitting ninja because sakashimas student and silent blade oni are stupidly rare and expensive.

Anything but more elves, especially if you don't do anything new with them and just present the same old stuff in slightly different constellations.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Wizard, we need to talk.
I know you're doing Battle for Zendikar, and Zendikar has elves, but this needs to stop.
Elves have always been annoyingly overpowered, and the fact that many of them have wide tribal effects means that every elf you put out increases the potential power of an elf deck. There are already too many modern-legal elves.
Plus, elves are always the most unlikable race in any fantasy universe. Focus on Dwarves instead. Mirrodin had the main standard-bearers for green be trolls, and that was great. More of that.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Yep. Elves is absolutely a Standard thing now; Golgari Elves, by the looks. Feast your eyes on this: http://mythicspoiler.com/ori/cards/shamanofthepack.html

*cough* at Uncommon, no less.