Does this make me some kind of MMO-tease?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I like to experiment with MMORPGs, right? I'm not very good at them, but I have fun playing around in new worlds. The problem is that being female, timid, low-leveled and generally bad at MMORPGs is apparently a very appealing combo to a lot of people who play these games. In Perfect World, Fiesta, BrightShadow, the other version of Perfect World, World of Kung-Fu, Lunia, DoMo, and now WoW, I find some stranger arbitrarily taking interest in me and within the day, showering my avatar with all sorts of goodies. The 'Scapist Magnatek actually witnessed the guy trying to woo me on Brightshadow.

Every time this happens, I tell them flat that I'm not interested in dating, online or off. Sometimes they're annoying, but other times they seem to be genuinely nice people that would be fun to game with. I can't help but feel a bit like some kind of whore for accepting a gift, denying the giver's affection, and still talking to them.

But do you think its bad to accept in-game loot from people obviously looking for a relationship?
Is one a click-tease for continuing to communicate with someone when you've stated your lack of interest?

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
If you have told them you are not interested and they still do, then dont feel too guilty, long as they are not PAYING for the loot. And you can be friends with people you dont want to date. I became fairly good friends with one guy who had helped me out in such a way while hitting on me. Being a tease is suggesting you would, but never actually doing it.

BillyShakes

Oct 29, 2009
Not at all. They're giving you free stuff, so it can only benefit you. I mean, if these people are lowly enough to do such a thing then they deserve to lose a few gold.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
It's all about intent, really. You don't go in with the intent of taking free stuff from people (Like I would do), and they give them to you freely. If it really bothers you, give it back, or, give it to some other newbie. I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

Not necessarily; you can just be friends with somebody you you'd like to know more than a friend. It happens all the time. They might think so, but they're probably just bitter and broken hearted already somehow.

Of course, I may not be the best person to ask since I'll do this for free stuff and/or to fuck with people because their gullible and probably feel somewhat desperate, but then again, I'm arguably a sociopath when it comes to games online.

Doctragon

Apr 5, 2010
Well, if you said you're not interested, there's not much more you can do. Maybe they're just doing it to help you out, who knows. But if they try to take it further than it's probably not a good idea. Hope it's fine though.

WanderFreak said:
I say go with it. If you make your intentions clear, and they still give you stuff, then it's fair game.

But if someone offers to give you an epic mount, run away.
Also, haha, that was an awesome joke!

HuntrRose

Apr 28, 2009
WanderFreak said:
I say go with it. If you make your intentions clear, and they still give you stuff, then it's fair game.

But if someone offers to give you an epic mount, run away.
You dirty dirty dirty...

As long as you state up front you're not interested in anything but friendship and gaming, and they keep hitting on you, then use it and abuse it for all it's worth! You made yourself clear, and they keep showering you in loot. Enjoy it!

Personally I got sick of MMORPGs. Maybe I'll try the Old Republic, but I doubt it. Takes too much time and I have finally managed to get a life here. I barely have time for a few hours BFBC2 a week.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Erana said:
Every time this happens, I tell them flat that I'm not interested in dating, online or off. Sometimes they're annoying, but other times they seem to be genuinely nice people that would be fun to game with. I can't help but feel a bit like some kind of whore for accepting a gift, denying the giver's affection, and still talking to them.
Wait, what kind of whore refuses the Johnny's advances?

Seriously, though, milk the poor schmucks for everything they're worth. If they're giving you free stuff because you were born with an extra X-chromosome, that's their prerogative.

If they're giving you free stuff because they want to give away free stuff, that's also their prerogative.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Just say you're married. It'll make them know you aren't interested and they'll assume you're really old. Assuming you don't mind being old on the internet, of course.

LiftYourSkinnyFists

Aug 15, 2009
Erana said:
I like to experiment with MMORPGs, right? I'm not very good at them, but I have fun playing around in new worlds. The problem is that being female, timid, low-leveled and generally bad at MMORPGs is apparently a very appealing combo to a lot of people who play these games. In Perfect World, Fiesta, BrightShadow, the other version of Perfect World, World of Kung-Fu, Lunia, DoMo, and now WoW, I find some stranger arbitrarily taking interest in me and within the day, showering my avatar with all sorts of goodies. The 'Scapist Magnatek actually witnessed the guy trying to woo me on Brightshadow.

But do you think its bad to accept in-game loot from people obviously looking for a relationship?
Is one a click-tease for continuing to communicate with someone when you've stated your lack of interest?
I feel that girls in MMORPGS like WoW get scrutiny or suck, so I help them and become friends... not just because they're girls but the fact that "I might have to raid with them some day"

Chicaine

Jun 7, 2010
I know a GUY on runescape with a female avatar, i know for sure he's a guy but i always tend to be nicer and less crude to him than other friends, it gets quite annoying sometimes