Does violence and other inapropriate stuff really corrupt kids?

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
I would say it does, but really only as a contributing factor, i hate when people say games like manhunt cause people to be violent because there had to be something there that made the kid want to play in the first place.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I grew up playing games like Mortal Kombat and Grand Theft Auto, yet I am perfectly sane.
What it boils down to is the player realizing when the game is turned off. Proper parenting is what is needed in this regard, and proper parenting is something that is disappearing at an alarming rate.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
I'm sure I could do a satire about bad parenting being responsible just how I made fun of sports being more dangerous than video games, but, like most of the people in here have said, it all boils down to the parents and the environment the child grows up in, everyone in here is capable of making his or her own choices, if they aren't receiving a reinforcement of the punishment for their actions and learn to take responsibility for what they do, then that's where I believe the downward slope ends and the cliff begins.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
I think it is rather shocking that we don't have a firm answer to this. You'd think that before restricting our freedom of speech, some scientific experiments would have been done to measure how corruptable children are.

It seems to me that a bunch of middle class, middle aged mothers and grandmothers have asked the government to censor publications that make them uncomfortable and they have, without making any assessment of whether the offending materials actually harmed anyone. And it happens to varying degrees in every country.

Marsell

Nov 20, 2008
of course it doesn't, that would be stupid.
I would of course make sure he would only be exposed to he common sense level of Violence/Sex/Drugs/Ect appropriate for him.

SaturdayS

Nov 8, 2010
I don't know about "kids" but I'm quite convinced that I would have have been more creative, social, well behaved, and hit puberty a lot later if it wasn't for all the TV I watched. Do I want TV more censored? No. Was it my parents fault? Maybe, but they did try there best, I really, really liked TV.

Would it be too much just to complain about the over sexualized tactics of advertising but still demand uncensored programs?

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
SaturdayS said:
Would it be too much just to complain about the over sexualized tactics of advertising but still demand uncensored programs?
Not really, I don't approve of Hitlers rants, but I do believe free speech is that important, especially political speech, that you should be able to say stuff like that. If only so we get some warning.

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
People don't become violent due to video games, it's the other way around. Kids who already have violent tendencies will be drawn to violent video games before engaging in real life violence. That's not, however, saying that all people who play violent games are murderous sociopaths. I, personally am a total pacifist who just happens to like decapitating raiders with a shotgun in a post-apocalyptic setting.

Mischiviktus

Aug 6, 2008
I've been playing violent video games, violent horror films and listen to metal of all varieties since as long as I can remember.

It doesn't really corrupt a child, the child's probably got a f*cked up sense of morality to begin with, and lack of parental guidance causes their little heads to think of stupid crap to do.

Bakerlite

Nov 10, 2010
In the fiftheenth century there was a huge problem. You've guessed it, the children were being corrupted. They were being exposed to violence and sex, they were being incouraged to skive off school and work, all to go and see the depraved spectical of.........The theatre and that dreadful defiler of innocent minds William Shakespeare was one of the worst. Everyone needs to relax we're no more corrupt now than we've ever been and at least now we can be corrupted from the comfort of our own homes so we're less likley to catch the plague.

Busdriver580

Dec 22, 2009
The problem is that correlation has been shown in a few studies, but causation has been disproven. Jackasses just see the first studies and immediately equate them. Also the anti-gaming news media seem to grossly exaggerate the content in games and strip it of all context (it's just a game right?).

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
In the media, it's not likely. Actual witnessed violence is more destructive for children.
Though of course it depends on the age, and the judgment of the parents.

Firoth

Jul 14, 2010
Parents corrupt their kids by not bothering to teach them the difference between fantasy and reality and what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior. They just expect everyone else to make sure bad things don't exist ever, and since that's stupid and impossible, when a kid sees someone beat the crap out of another person to solve a simple problem they're thinking: "hey, I should try that next time!" instead of, perhaps: "while that would make things easier, this is just a movie/TV show/video game and is unacceptable behavior in the real world...Still cool to watch though."

Apr 29, 2010
Only if they can't distinguish it from reality. In other words, if the parents don't readily educate their children that the violence they see is wrong, the children might possibly get the wrong idea. But there are many more factors in play in a situation like this.

Sep 9, 2010
ciortas1 said:
With proper parenting, nothing will corrupt a kid. Mentally scar him if you show him an extreme gore video or whatever, sure, but seriously, if parents were parents this whole outrage over the media shit wouldn't be happening
This. My parents have always been there for me and I'm a pretty good kid. Not to say lack of parents=bad kid but it certainly helps to have them around

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Of course there are some subjects that aren't really appropriate for younger audiences. Generally, it doesn't have any negative effects on children. If a kid gets a hold of some objectionable material, then it's the parent's responsibility anyways.