Does Your First Anime Still Hold Up?

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
If we're including movies... It may have been Kiki's Delivery Service, in which I say yes. If you're only on shows, well, Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star. Can't remember which I saw first.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
If we're talking about stuff not repackaged for American audiences? Well, if any of you lot have even heard of Urusei Yatsura I'll be surprised. And I think it holds up in a sort of timeless way- the series's wacky humor never really depended on anything too timely. I still have the first six or seven episodic releases (anyone remember AnimEigo?) and three of the OVAs.

Slycne said:
Looking back you can see where they were cutting some corners, but Record of the Lodoss War is still pretty damn classic.
I've still got that on VHS tapes. Too bad I don't have a VHS player anymore. :(

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Wowy wow! We need to go back to the dawn of time to answer this thread. For me it would be shows like Robotech, Speed Racer, Astro boy, G-Force and Ulysses 31. We also watched Battleship Yamato but I was too young to remember it. I don't think G-Force or Speed Racer would hold up very well, although I would love to see an anime reboot of Speed Racer. Astro Boy was and is always fun. Ulysses 31 hold up very well despite some clunky animations and Robotech or Macross whatever you want to call it does alright for itself.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
My first anime was DBZ and Pokemon. So the answer is no, they haven't held up at all. They don't even hold up to US cartoons from the same time period.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
The pokemon and yugioh anime are what they are. For kids. Or bearable if you are still into the franchise it is based off.

The anime I actually sat down to watch with a mind to getting into anime was either Berserk or girls Bravo. Berserk is fantastic despite only being the beginning of a massive story, and I'd say girls bravo holds up as a raunchy comedy with dashes of heavy fan service in the form of jiggling tits.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Orga777 said:
My first anime was DBZ and Pokemon. So the answer is no, they haven't held up at all. They don't even hold up to US cartoons from the same time period.
Saying DBZ doesn't hold up is kind of like saying starwars doesn't hold up. Both franchises are so popular they are getting sequels despite a 10 year hiatus.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
verdant monkai said:
Orga777 said:
Saying DBZ doesn't hold up is kind of like saying starwars doesn't hold up. Both franchises are so popular they are getting sequels despite a 10 year hiatus.
Star Wars has more going on, better character development, and isn't 200+ episodes long of the same thing over and over again. I will take six movies (sorry... THREE movies) of good quality over 200+ episodes of a story that barely has a real story after the Saiyan Saga (and has no story at all after the Cell Saga.) Heck, YuYu Hakusho is also an pretty standard action Shonen series, and that series both holds up better, AND has better character arcs and stories going on than DBZ. XD

Although, the two newest DBZ movies have been surprisingly good. I will check out Dragon Ball Super eventually just because of the movies, but, I am not having high expectations. I think it would of been better to just keep it around as periodic movie releases, personally.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
The usual: Pokemon. Yeah I still love the hell out of the first couple of seasons. So yeah, I guess to ME, it does still hold up.

Other: Ah! My Goddess. Yes. Yes it does

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
The original Robotech series.

Pros - Veritechs look very cool, even today.

Cons - Everything else. So cheesy! When Minmei sings I am supposed to believe this would be a super hit?

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Depends on exactly how you classify 'first'.

I grew up with Battle of the Planets, mysterious Cities of Gold the first two episodes of Robotech (macross saga) and some Voltron compilation movies (mainly vehicle force, which left me wondering why it got so much hate when I dipped into later fandom), and while I loved them and felt they were somehow different to most toons, I didn't know they were anime (ditto Laputa, Castle in the sky) But yeah, Macross, MCoG and Laputa have aged well, and I've not really seen enough of the others to judge.

As stuff I knew was Anime, my first two were Akira and RG Veda (first step in becoming a clamp fan). Akira has arguably improved with age (given the garbled and confusing dub it was saddled with back in the day), and animation limitations aside, RG Veda is pretty cool.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Windknight said:
Voltron compilation movies (mainly vehicle force, which left me wondering why it got so much hate when I dipped into later fandom)
"Not my Doctor" syndrome. Vehicle Voltron had the audacity to not be Lion Voltron.

Padwolf said:
The usual: Pokemon. Yeah I still love the hell out of the first couple of seasons. So yeah, I guess to ME, it does still hold up.

Other: Ah! My Goddess. Yes. Yes it does
Pffft. You kids and your Pokeymanz.

godlysnack

Jun 30, 2014
My first anime was Ronin Warriors. To me this has to hold up today. It's a bit cheesey but what 80's anime wasn't?

Power Rangers is essentially the live action version of this (Ronin Warriors didn't have powerzords though). Also it's got that biggest cliche where if all the evil samurai's would just team up they'd have won in the first few episodes. I digress though. It was an amazing anime back then and I'd like to think it's still amazing now. If only I could find a dvd set :\ only 39 episodes and then there was the 4 episode OVA about the Inferno armor.....

Edit: Found the 39 episodes on Youtube :D . I might be a bit biased but it doesn't seem to be as cheesy from what I thought I remembered (barely 10 mins or so into the anime again). This definitely would hold up today. Power rangers got what? 20 seasons? This could definitely come back and run for another 2 or 3 easily.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
The first bits of anime I saw was the Interstella 5555 music video on TV, and I was amazed by it back then, courtesy of Daft Punk's amazing Discovery album. I still like it now. Then I watched Dragon Ball Z and Beyblade's first season simultaneously. They both still hold up, in my opinion, but when you are a child everything is much more mindblowing. I'm not as hugely into anime as I used to, though.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Wolf's Rain was not really my first anime, but it was the first that got me interested in the overall medium. It still is in my top three and only got taken down from my absolute favorite within the last year, so I would say that it still holds up. Even got the DVD set at quite a high asking price and enjoy watching it again every now and then.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Well my first animes were Sailor Moon and Samurai Pizza Cats.

I've always enjoyed watching some episodes of the classic Sailor Moon series (until a cousin of mine ruined my childhood by telling me that Darien/Mamoru was a college student and that Serena/Usagi was still in middle school).

I've honestly haven't seen Samurai Pizza Cats for so long, but I've heard that the English Dub is much better than the Japanese one.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Well as I recall I watched Akira many, many years ago and I used to watch things like Pokemon of course (yes in the first case, no in the latter).

But the one that really got me "into" anime and watching it consistently was The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya which I'd say definitely holds up quite well.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Like many others, Pokemon was the first for me.

If I hadn't seen it before and just started watching it now, I doubt it'd hold my attention. Nostalgia would be my reason for enjoying to watch it again, but I doubt I ever will tbh.

Naruto was the first anime I watched (subbed & knowing what anime was). I gave up on the show towards the end so I guess that says it all, but I stayed with the manga til the end.