Does your school have a music program? MINE DIDN'T

fmazz

Sep 4, 2011
I graduated already but my little bro (who loves music more than anything. This is not an exaggeration) is a freshman in WHS. My old high school has never had a music program. We need your help in getting one.

So here's the deal. YOU ARE AWESOME, GOOD LOOKING, AND LIKE MAKING PEOPLE HAPPY. By clicking on the link and hitting "VOTE" you are making WHS even closer to getting a music program and by proxy MAKING US HAPPY. It is once per day per IP address until November 7th. You do not even need to watch the crappy video. Thank You very much!

http://www.gleegiveanote.com/vote_details.php?id=419

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
I play viola, and I'm in intermediate orchestra (I'm not great, and I'm only in ninth grade) and I voted.
I think music is an important thing for schools to have.
Playing music is like having all the subjects in one.
You've got basic physics, math, history, and even some useful language skills in there, and I think that's great.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
I spent most of my public school career in chorus. Good times.

Voted and good luck.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Ahhh, a music PROGRAMME... I thought you were talking about like, Sibelius or something. Silly Americans not having a seperate spelling for a seperate meaning.

Welp, voted.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
The schools in my hometown got rid of the music programs because they were too expensive to maintain prior to me becoming old enough to go to school. Forget the fact that they had asked the parents to pay for the music on their own and that the school only had to have a room for the band to play in for the program to survive. The will to have the program was there for the community but it was closed down.

Then, the school region that was strapped for cash and had to cut the music program to balance the budget built the biggest gym in the province in my hometown for about eight million dollars. Then they spent two million dollars introducing a football program. Oh yes, no money in the budget for the arts here...

Sorry, just some bitterness from that whole situation coming out. The schools in the cities had bands but in order for me to go play with bands I had to be driven into the city after school to go rehearse on my own time. Now to be honest, I would have done that anyway because I love playing the Trumpet BUT the town doesn't have a music program and not every parent is willing to drive their kids out to the city for band. Not to mention buying an instrument[footnote]The old music program had instruments and stands for the children. When the program was canceled, they sold everything so it would be nigh impossible to start a band in the future without the expensive purchase of a supply of instruments for students.[/footnote] is a considerable investment. So generations of kids here will never have the option to join a band.

In anycase OP, you have my support!

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Yes... in Middle school we had the lame music class with the recorders... High School was better had drumming and guitar specific classes along with Jazz band and marching band... never got to be in any though because of my grades...

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Whaaaaaaaat?!?!?!?!? No music program? Now I could understand a grade school with no real band class but a high school without one? As a former Trumpet player who had an absolute blast playing in high school I feel obligated to support you. You have my vote!

Now harness the unlimited power of the Escapist and win!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Speaking as an orchdork you shall get my support!

I shall wish thee the best of luck!

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
I find this to be very important. I can't believe how many schools have lost their music programs over the years. It's really an amazing experience, especially when the teacher is passionate about the class and actively engaged in making the best music they can make with a ragtag group of mostly rebellious teenagers.

Some of my fondest memories of junior high and high school was music competitions around the state, whether it was marching, or orchestral. So much fun was had.

I'll vote for you!

fmazz

Sep 4, 2011
Just a reminder that you can vote tomorrow as well. For me that is just an hour from now but I know that the escapist is universal site. Thank you for all your support. We are at 764 votes right now for all of you keeping count.

novixz

Feb 7, 2011
I can't stand the music program at my school, and I'm fucking glad I'm out of band. You'd think I'm trolling, but these are my real emotions hear. Not that there's anything wrong with teaching people notes and scales, but you can't teach them how to express emotions. Well you can, but that's something better off learned on their own. Dispite the rant I voted because, hell, it's Friday.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
My Highschool has a nationally ranked Marching Band, sorry to hear about that. Yeah I'll help.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
I kinda hated how my Elementary School forced everyone into chorus, and it DIDNT help my shyness when they forced you to sing in front of the class.

Captain_Fantastic

Jun 28, 2011
my highschool had a guitar class for one year then the teacher offering it retired

it still has tonnes of instruments including plenty of guitars.

we also dont have any track and field type classes but we have all the equipment and a bunch of gym equipment that is collecting dust

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
I was never much of a music person, but I did volunteer with set up for enough music shows to know that many find it important, so you got my vote.

fmazz

Sep 4, 2011
Sober Thal said:
What a horrible video.

OP, are telling a lie to us when you say:

-'My old high school has never had a music program. We need your help in getting one.'-

The Video says: It has a program that may not exist next year...

Both can't be true, eh? Sorry I won't support this.
I guess I should elaborate. The "music program" was our town's music group. At least that is what I think they are referring to. It is still around. It is not run by the high school in anyway. The talented kids (about 1/4 out of the people in it) always agreed to help out when WHS did plays and stuff of that nature. The kids that were in the high school at the time were allowed to use the stage for specific events. When we did have talent shows they would always play. As for the budget cut thing, I honestly have no idea what they are talking about but I told my brother to ask on Monday. Until then you do not have to vote if you so choose to do so. I understand.

fmazz

Sep 4, 2011
fmazz said:
Sober Thal said:
What a horrible video.

OP, are telling a lie to us when you say:

-'My old high school has never had a music program. We need your help in getting one.'-

The Video says: It has a program that may not exist next year...

Both can't be true, eh? Sorry I won't support this.
I guess I should elaborate. The "music program" was our town's music group. At least that is what I think they are referring to. It is still around. It is not run by the high school in anyway. The talented kids (about 1/4 out of the people in it) always agreed to help out when WHS did plays and stuff of that nature. The kids that were in the high school at the time were allowed to use the stage for specific events. When we did have talent shows they would always play. As for the budget cut thing, I honestly have no idea what they are talking about but I told my brother to ask on Monday. Until then you do not have to vote if you so choose to do so. I understand.
Through the power of facebook I was able to get a hand of Jerry D. (one of the kids who made the video). It turns out I was wrong and there was a music program. But it has diminished over the years.

Me:Did WHS ever have a music program. If yes then who ran it?

Jerry: They had the concert band like today but it was bigger, had more instrumental diversity and traveled to do more things. They were well known and Mr.L still ran it.

Me: Who will be the teacher if you win?

Jerry: Idk

Me: Did Mr.L retire?

Jerry: I don't think so.