Doing a survey for a research paper over violence in video games.

magicman326

May 22, 2011
How long have you been playing video games?
close to 16 years

How many hours do you play video games a week?
varies depending on my course work, but generally ~20-30 hours a week

Do the majority of your games feature some form of violence(extreme violence, gore, or strong language)?
Yes.

From a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest, how aggressive do you get playing violent video games? This can be yelling,damaging items, or as simple as getting frustrated.
2. I may get frustrated on a hard part of a game, but I'm able to maintain my composure most of the time. If a game gets so hard that I'm outright yelling at it, I stop playing.

Do you feel that you have been affect by violent video games in a negative way? I.e, desensitization, higher aggression, or any other ways.
desensitization to fictional violence: more or less completely desensitized; short of "The Event" from Spec Ops: The Line, nothing in a game can really phase me.
desensitization to real violence: none. I'm the kind of person who gets squeamish when I see so much as a dislocated shoulder in real life.

Aggression: none. I am not an aggressive person by nature, and video games have not impacted that fact in the slightest.

How old were you when you first started playing video games?
around 5-6 years old.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I've been playing video games for about 20 years now.

It varies. Usually anywhere from 3-10 I would say.

Do the majority of your games feature some form of violence(extreme violence, gore, or strong language)?
I suppose so, yes.

From a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest, how aggressive do you get playing violent video games? This can be yelling,damaging items, or as simple as getting frustrated.
Eh, I'll say 3, since most games aren't that frustrating to me.

Do you feel that you have been affected by violent video games in a negative way? I.e, desensitization, higher aggression, or any other ways.
No, not really. I dislike violence in real life, also I found that recent suicide video on the escapist rather disturbing.

I want to say I was 10 when I first started playing video games.

darksuccubus

Jan 11, 2011
1. ~12 years
2. Recently, probably less than 3, since uni life consumes a lot of free time
3. Yes, I would be surprised if anyone here answered no, since that's the majority of the games.
4. 3/10 - I never throw controllers/keyboards and don't really scream, just grunt in frustration
5. The thing is, this question isn't really fair, imho. You should include other media, like TV, since it has a lot of violence too and influences people quite a lot, not to mention appealing to a wider demographic. In the end, my answer is no, since violence in video games is nothing like real violence. I've seen some things on various shock sites and there is no video game that contains that
6. About 8y old.

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
Silverhawk65 said:
I have been playing for around 18 years now. First console was a well used NES.

Two years old, going on three. The first game I played was Double Dragon (red/black/gold title screen, girl getting punched and kidnapped for the intro).

Depending on how much work/school I have or if I go out a lot, it can fluctuate from as little as none to as much as about 40 hours.

Silverhawk65 said:

Do you feel that you have been affect by violent video games in a negative way? I.e, desensitization, higher aggression, or any other ways.
I'd say just a smidge more than half these days. Were this question posed ten years ago, it would be a large majority the other way.

About a 2, though it doesn't take a violent game to get me frustrated.

No, not at all. I accomplish that by watching the evening news and reading about/experiencing the real world. If anything, playing games (regardless of violence level) allows me to relax for the most part and take a breather at the end of the day.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Silverhawk65 said:
Hello escapists, I am doing a research paper over the effects of violent video games on the player. I know not everyone likes taking surveys, but if you could take a few minutes and answer these six questions I would greatly appreciate it. I know this subject has been done to death, but bare with me guys. Thanks.

[/quote]How long have you been playing video games?[/quote]
I think since 2000, was that back when Funcoland was still around? or maybe it was 1999.

[/quote]How many hours do you play video games a week?[/quote]
That depends on employment and how much I'm enjoying the game.
When I got Tales of Vesperia I played it for like 12 hours a day (And like 36 hours in a row once)
But when I'm busy usually like 10-15 hours in a week

[/quote]Do the majority of your games feature some form of violence(extreme violence, gore, or strong language)?[/quote]
Wait, hold on... Strong Language? In what realm is strong language a form of violence?
Even baring that the answer is yes.
There are the obvious ones like Left 4 Dead, Borderlands and Fallout but then I think about all those RPG's I like and have to admit that they're full of violence too. You don't spend 300,000 gold leveling up your sword to befriend an enemy to death.

So yeah violence all around.

[/quote]From a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest, how aggressive do you get playing violent video games? This can be yelling,damaging items, or as simple as getting frustrated.[/quote]
on a scale from 1 to 10? 25. I've broken the Xbox 360 controller and that thing can take up to 1000 pounds of force.

But this is a bullshit loaded question (If you don't mind me saying)
The violence is completely tangential to the question "How aggressive do you get when playing videogames" Or anything really.
The most frustrated I've ever been is on the least violent mission in Jak 2, the speeder race. there's no fighting, shooting, gore or even language, all you're trying to do is drive around in a figure 8 track 3 times and it is baby punchingly hard.
Racing, platforming and just times when the controls aren't being responsive are more rage inducing than any of the actual actively violent parts of gaming.

[/quote]Do you feel that you have been affect by violent video games in a negative way? I.e, desensitization, higher aggression, or any other ways.[/quote]
Negatively? Not really. I have to buy new controllers when I break my old ones. It was more of a problem with the PS2. Like I said the 360 controller can take a punch.

[/quote]How old were you when you first started playing video games?[/quote]
10 or 11
Depending on whether I bought my Gameboy in 99 or 2000

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
Silverhawk65 said:

1 - bit over 20 years
2 - maybe 10-15 hours a week
3 - most feature some level of violence I guess
4 - at most, I'd say 2
5 - no, but I'm hardly going to have an objective opinion on that...
6 - would've been about 10 years old when we got our first console

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
*How long have you been playing video games?*
*How old were you when you first started playing video games?*

I have been playing games since I was very young. Let me clarify. Before there were video games readily available, I was playing pinball machines. I remember playing pinball as far back as my earliest memories...so since I was 2 years old. I definitely remember playing pinball machines in the lobby of the movie theatre at the age of 4 (1976...because the movie my mom was watching was The Omen. I couldn't really deal with that movie so I played pinball in the lobby instead). Once video games started being put in a place I could access them, I was playing them to. I certainly remember playing Pong and Asteroids in the late 1970s/turn of the 80s. So I've been playing 32+ years and started playing them at the latest when I was 8, but I was playing arcade games (pinball) since I was 2.

*How many hours do you play video games a week?*

That varies depending on what is going on in my life. In the summer or during winter breaks I play more than during the semester. During the semester I have a lot of class prep and grading to do, so I don't get to play as much as I'd like. So some weeks I don't get to play at all. Some weeks I play 20hrs...sometimes more when I'm grooving on a new RPG. But I almost always play at least 1 hour a week, even if that hour is just something a tad more casual on my iPad.

*Do the majority of your games feature some form of violence(extreme violence, gore, or strong language)?*
Hm. Depends. I play a wide variety of games. Some games don't have violence, some do. And then, of the games that do have violence, not all the violence is the same. I play Cause of Death every week. Which, as a police procedural visual novel type game has lots of graphic violence...but all of it is described in text. That is different than a first person shooter or a cartoon boxing game. Some of the games make the violence seem like a horrible thing (like Still Life), others make it seems unrealistic, others realistic. But even then there are a lot of different ways to treat violence. Also, are you counting tackling people in football games as violence? Or, like everybody else in the world, are we going to not talk about sports violence?

*From a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest, how aggressive do you get playing violent video games? This can be yelling,damaging items, or as simple as getting frustrated.*

I'm not an aggressive person. Video games don't make me aggressive. Also, just a note. I was in the Army where I was taught to actually kill people...and you can kill people in a cool, not aggressive way that doesn't involve yelling or throwing things.

*Do you feel that you have been affect by violent video games in a negative way? I.e, desensitization, higher aggression, or any other ways.*

I don't see video games as being that different from other media that I consume and analyze: film, television, novels, art, etc. Reading the novel The Godfather, watching the film The Godfather, playing the video game The Godfather...none of them made me want to become a gangster and shoot people.