Doing research on smoking; Please answer my poll!

Dire Sloth

Filthy Casual
Jun 23, 2012
1. F
2. 21
3. North America
4. No
5. NA
6. NA
7. No
8. NA
9. NA
10. NA
11. NA
12. Beneficial to own health as well as those around.

That was easy.

Alexias_Sandar

Nov 8, 2010
1. Gender: M
2. Age: 31
3. Continent you currently live in: North America
4. Do you use nicotine-products? No.
5. Ciqarettes, pipe, ciqars or snuff? None of the above.
6. If you knew you could stop using nicotine-products painlessly without the risk of failing, would you? N.A.
7. Would you date a smoker? Happily married, so no. Otherwise...maybe.
8. What age did you start smoking? Never.
9. What age did you stop smoking? Never.
10. Did you quit with the help of products like gum or patches? N.A.
11. Would you say outside products like nicotine-gum help? Don't Know.
12. What do you say is the main reason for quitting? Never started. I've got asthma and would like to keep my lungs in as good a shape as I can, thanks.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Vkmies said:
1. Male
2. 21
3. America
4. Nope, never smoked.
5. n/a
6. n/a
7. Nope. Kissing smokers is gross.
8. n/a
9. n/a
10. n/a
11. It seems they might for the oral fixation and so forth.
12. Because smoking makes you smelly and cancer sucks.

PS: you know this is really dodgey methodology, right? At least f this is for something above a high school paper.

PPS: Sex and gender are two different things. Make sure the first question asks what you want it to.

Broax

May 17, 2010
Vkmies said:
Hey people!
I am working on a study, report, whatever you want to call it about smoking and a big part of it is collecting answers from different groups of people. All this stuff will be completely anonymous and only the sources (for example, you people will just be listed as escapistmagazine.com) will be mentioned in the actual paper. Please answer the following questions truthfully and I will collect numbers and answers from ye for my paper. You can take part in this 'til 11.4.2012 or sunday next week, that's when I will collect the answers. If you could tell a couple of friends, I would be very thankful. The more there are answers, the better. Please only answer to questions that apply. As in, if you never quit, there is no use answering to questions like number 10, obviously.

1. Gender -> Male
2. Age -> 27
3. Continent you currently live in -> Europe (Portugal)
4. Do you use nicotine-products? Yes
5. Ciqarettes, pipe, ciqars or snuff? -> Cigarettes
6. If you knew you could stop using nicotine-products painlessly without the risk of failing, would you? -> Yes! No doubt about it!
7. Would you date a smoker? -> Yes
8. What age did you start smoking? -> 21
9. What age did you stop smoking? -> TBA
10. Did you quit with the help of products like gum or patches? -> Tried to quit once and used nicotine gum...
11. Would you say outside products like nicotine-gum help? -> Yes.. a bit...
12. What do you say is the main reason for quitting? -> Health risks associated with tobacco products as well as the rising prices...

Thanks in advance, people. You are really helping me out.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
1. Male.
2. 23.
3. North America.
4. No.
5. No.
6. No.
7. No. (I might, but it would be a strong turn-off.)
8. N/A.
9. N/A.
10. N/A.
11. N/A.
12. Social pressure.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Benni88 said:
Aside from my survey response here: there's an awful lot of people giving reasons for stopping smoking when their previous answers say that they do not, and have never smoked.

Perhaps OP, you can mention that. A lot of people have opinions on the detrimental effects of cigarettes, who have a lack of personal experience with them. (I'm not saying cigarettes aren't bad for you btw).
I think many of them do have personal experience with those detrimental effects.

Most families these days had a member who has died from lung cancer, in all likelihood caused by smoking. That's about as personal an experience as you can get.

And just about everyone has experienced walking outside a public building into a cloud of cigarette smoke and getting a nice lung full of that.

You don't need to smoke to suffer from smoking.

airwolfe591

Dec 11, 2009
1. Male
2. 22
3. North America
4. Yes.
5. Ciqarettes, and ciqars.
6. Yes
7. Yes. (Married to a Non smoker though)
8. 18
9. 22
10. No.
11. Haven't used them, so I don't know.
12. To keep a smoke free environment for my son.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Vkmies said:
1. Gender
2. Age
3. Continent you currently live in
4. Do you use nicotine-products?
5. Ciqarettes, pipe, ciqars or snuff?
6. If you knew you could stop using nicotine-products painlessly without the risk of failing, would you?
7. Would you date a smoker?
8. What age did you start smoking?
9. What age did you stop smoking?
10. Did you quit with the help of products like gum or patches?
11. Would you say outside products like nicotine-gum help?
12. What do you say is the main reason for quitting?
1. Male.
2. 26.
3. Europe.
4. No.
5. None, but I did smoke cigarettes and cigarillos.
6. Sure.
7. Depends on the amount and restraint. If she had to run off all the time or had to stink up the living room instead of smoking on the balcony, probably not.
8. I think I first tried it around 15 or 16. But I never became a "proper smoker", I only bummed smokes at parties when I was intoxicated or something.
9. I think I last smoked one when I was 20 or 21 or so.
10. Never really was addicted.
11. I'd expect so, but it's more than just the nicotine. It's also the actions involved: Holding something in your hands, having particular movement patterns, having something to do. There are artificial cigarettes that are basically nicotine inhalators, they would probably work better for that.
12. Money, then health. At least those were my reasons for not starting.

Sangreal Gothcraft

Feb 28, 2011
1. Gender: Male
2. Age:20
3. Continent you currently live in:USA
4. Do you use nicotine-products?:Very Rarely
5. Ciqarettes, pipe, ciqars or snuff?:Cigars, very rarely Cigarettes unless in social group
6. If you knew you could stop using nicotine-products painlessly without the risk of failing, would you?: Not really a Problem for me, yeah if i had the addiction.
7. Would you date a smoker?:Of course, they need oral fixation hence why they smoke.
8. What age did you start smoking?:16
9. What age did you stop smoking?:16 Cigarettes: Cigar i still smoke, but rarely
10. Did you quit with the help of products like gum or patches?:Cold Turkey as they call it
11. Would you say outside products like nicotine-gum help?: None what so ever.
12. What do you say is the main reason for quitting?: Cigarettes are 11-12 Dollars in NYC >_>

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
1. Male
2. 28
3. North America
4. Yes
5. Ciqars
6. No, I only smoke casually, and am not addicted.
7. Previously I thought not, but yes, apparently
8. 22
9. I still smoke occasionally
10. I never smoked regularly enough to get addicted
11. I don't know
12. I am not going to quit, I like smoking Cigars.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Zen Toombs said:
Vkmies said:
PS: you know this is really dodgey methodology, right? At least f this is for something above a high school paper.

PPS: Sex and gender are two different things. Make sure the first question asks what you want it to.
Sure, thanks for the inputs. Noted, and all that stuff.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
2. Age: 18
4. Do you use nicotine-products?:No
7. Would you date a smoker?: I'm not completely sure to be honest. It would be a definite no if I were was in high school and they were under aged and breaking the law, but now that that is no longer an issue, I am not sure. I guess it would all boil down to how much I like that person, and how much they smoke around me. I don't think I would want to date a chain-smoker who is constantly smoking whenever we go on a date to the point where it jeopardizes my health, because it wouldn't be fair to me to develop health problems because they can't not smoke, but if it were just a cigarette on occasion, and they didn't smoke much around me, then I'd probably be much more likely to date them. But I'd still question any long term romantic plans with them.

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
2. Age: 17
3. Continent you currently live in: Europe
4. Do you use nicotine-products?: No
5. Ciqarettes, pipe, ciqars or snuff?: No
6. If you knew you could stop using nicotine-products painlessly without the risk of failing, would you?: -
7. Would you date a smoker?: No, cant stand the smell, cant even be in the same room as someone smoking. Just cant breathe becouse of the smell/taste of breathing it in.
8. What age did you start smoking?: -
9. What age did you stop smoking?: -
10. Did you quit with the help of products like gum or patches?: -
11. Would you say outside products like nicotine-gum help?: -
12. What do you say is the main reason for quitting?: -

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
1. Male
2. 22
3. North America
4. No
5. Nope
6. More than likely not
7. If I liked the person sure
8. N/A
9. N/A
10. N/A
11. N/A
12. N/A

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
1. Male
2. 20
3. North America
4. No
5. N/A
6. N/a
7. Absolutely not
8. N/A
9. N/A
10. N/A
11. Observing from friends and relatives, I would say "partially"
12. It's essentially long-term suicide.

The reason I don't smoke, never will and won't date a smoker is because I have horrifying reactions to it. Asthma FTW?

C F

Jan 10, 2012
1. Gender: <color=#033476>Male
2. Age: <color=#033476>18
3. Continent you currently live in: <color=#033476>North America
4. Do you use nicotine-products? <color=#033476>No
5. Ciqarettes, pipe, ciqars or snuff? <color=#033476>Heck no.
6. If you knew you could stop using nicotine-products painlessly without the risk of failing, would you? <color=#033476>I still wouldn't use them to begin with.
7. Would you date a smoker? <color=#033476>No, that's a deal breaker. I don't have athsma, but my lungs still hate second-hand smoke from nicotine (or really any drug).
8. <color=#033476>Not applicable.
9. <color=#033476>N/A
10. <color=#033476>I'm going to type an "N", and there will be an "A" following it.
11. Would you say outside products like nicotine-gum help? <color=#033476>Heck if I know.
12. What do you say is the main reason for quitting? <color=#033476>It's this thing called prevention. I'd rather not spend money on an addictive habit detrimental to my health solely for the purpose of relaxation.
I have video games for that.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
1. Male
2. 22
3. Europe
4. No
7. It wouldn't be unproblematic, but I'd probably do it anyway.

I believe those are the questions that are relevant for me to answer :)

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
1. Gender: Female
2. Age: 20
4. Do you use nicotine-products?: No
5. Ciqarettes, pipe, ciqars or snuff?: No
6. If you knew you could stop using nicotine-products painlessly without the risk of failing, would you?: Would I use them or would I smoke? I'd still never smoke so I wouldn't have a use for them.
7. Would you date a smoker?: No